Speaker Upgrade to Improve Sound?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 08:23 AM
5 Year Member
Speaker Upgrade to Improve Sound?

The radio in my 2015 Fit EXL is awful. The sound is thin, and seems very one dimensional to my 54 old ears that aren't the best. By comparison the sound in my wife's 2010 Fit Sport with factory speakers and an aftermarket radio is simply awesome. There's good bass and midrange, good stereo separation and imaging, and more. Now I realize that this radio replacement is a big upgrade, but the speakers are original. I do not want to replace the head unit in my 2015, as I would deal with losing lane watch and rear view camera (full functionality seems to be an issue there) factory USB ports, OEM BT, settings screens, and who knows what else. Not to mention OEM fitment is generally way better than anything aftermarket. There would also be significant cost in all the things associated with a radio replacement. So I"m looking at replacing all 4 door speakers and hoping that this will provide some improvement in sound. With Crutchfield I can install myself, and return if not satisfied.These speakers have gotten many good reviews so I'm hopeful, but still a bit skeptical that the speakers alone will give me a noticeable and satisfactory improvement. What do others think.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R16...te-R165X3.html

Old 08-07-2018, 10:38 AM
5 Year Member
Yes the sport trim is already upgraded audio wise and actually pretty good for stock.

Check out Ricks upgrade

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...io-system.html

It was a nice improvement over the stock system.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:18 PM
Or my thread :-)

Old 08-07-2018, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
Old 08-11-2018, 08:47 AM
5 Year Member
Old 08-11-2018, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
Rick, your thread was great instruction no doubt, but I would think simply plugging in 4 larger door speakers would be even easier?
Tempted to try a similar thing. Or maybe I should just continue my sound deadening crusade.

Old 08-11-2018, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa
Rick, your thread was great instruction no doubt, but I would think simply plugging in 4 larger door speakers would be even easier?
Tempted to try a similar thing. Or maybe I should just continue my sound deadening crusade.
Simply replacing the door speakers can definitely provide better sound quality, but it's not likely to provide much louder sound levels nor will it provide the bass the factory system lacks. As BassGuitarist1985 points out during his "lesson" to me on component speaker crossover frequencies, the factory head unit does not have the power to provide that full sound, particularly in the lower frequencies, and 6.5in/6.75in (not sure how you would install larger ones) door speakers aren't capable of effectively reproducing those lower frequencies either.

For those reasons I chose to not only replace the OEM speakers, but also to add a powered sub. For ~$350 the stock system is transformed. As for sound deadening, I recently went thru an extensive sound deadening campaign on my Fit. A big part of why I did it was to quiet the interior noise from an aftermarket exhaust. I ended up going back to the stock exhaust anyway, but now my audio system sounds even better.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by bdcheung
This is a good way to start. You'll be providing more power to upgraded speakers which should result in better sound.

I'm on my 3rd set of speakers, 3rd amp, 3rd sub and now an upgraded head unit combined with sound deadening to achieve what I hope, is the final level of sound audio bliss. I'm about 125watts RMS x 4, plus 400 watts RMS for the subs. I'm not about the "boom and sizzle".

Old 08-12-2018, 04:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Action Jackson
This is a good way to start. You'll be providing more power to upgraded speakers which should result in better sound.

I'm on my 3rd set of speakers, 3rd amp, 3rd sub and now an upgraded head unit combined with sound deadening to achieve what I hope, is the final level of sound audio bliss. I'm about 125watts RMS x 4, plus 400 watts RMS for the subs. I'm not about the "boom and sizzle".
Replacing all factory speakers, adding a 6 channel LOC with 21 individual adjustments, a 4 channel amp, and 2 powered subwoofers... "A good way to start..." ?? BG's system design is beautiful, no question. It adds a ton of control, and as you point out, it adds power to the upgraded door speakers.

BG's system is clearly an audiophile's solution to upgrading a factory system while retaining the OEM head unit. However, even with BG's detailed thread, IMO his system is well beyond the scope of most mortal folks looking to upgrade their Fit audio systems.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by UnFitRick
Simply replacing the door speakers can definitely provide better sound quality, but it's not likely to provide much louder sound levels nor will it provide the bass the factory system lacks. As BassGuitarist1985 points out during his "lesson" to me on component speaker crossover frequencies, the factory head unit does not have the power to provide that full sound, particularly in the lower frequencies, and 6.5in/6.75in (not sure how you would install larger ones) door speakers aren't capable of effectively reproducing those lower frequencies either.

For those reasons I chose to not only replace the OEM speakers, but also to add a powered sub. For ~$350 the stock system is transformed. As for sound deadening, I recently went thru an extensive sound deadening campaign on my Fit. A big part of why I did it was to quiet the interior noise from an aftermarket exhaust. I ended up going back to the stock exhaust anyway, but now my audio system sounds even better.
Thanks. Finally a relevant and helpful response. I'm not comfortable doing much more than replacing the door speakers. I also can't see spending the money beyond that. I honestly am not thrilled with this particular Fit, and much prefer our 2010. Unfortunately my wife drives that one and I rarely get the chance. Replacing the H/U would require way too much time, money, and add-ons to work correctly. While some here have done fantastic jobs with radio replacement and more, I'm just not that into this car and can't make that level of commitment. Finally the yellow color has just not grown on me. From a financial perspective, my 2015 Fit EXL is tough to beat for cost of operation. I just can't seem to find an acceptable and affordable replacement for it. I also owe about $3K more than it's worth, being halfway though a 6 year loan. I absolutely do not want to get any vehicle that requires premium fuel. Otherwise I'd be looking at Acura, as I really like Honda for reliability and maintenance. I may order the replacement speakers from Crutchfield, but don't want to be disappointed with the results.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
I did the R165X3, and the R1675X2. I ordered from Crutchfield because they include the spacer and harness and made what was an easy install, so easy that a caveman could do it.

The speakers do make a diff over oem. You could simply buy it, and try it for a few days and judge them for yourself. After about 3-4 weeks, Crutchfield was kind enough to let me return the speakers so I could upgrade to something slightly better

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1399083

Old 08-13-2018, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
I did the R165X3, and the R1675X2. I ordered from Crutchfield because they include the spacer and harness and made what was an easy install, so easy that a caveman could do it.

The speakers do make a diff over oem. You could simply buy it, and try it for a few days and judge them for yourself. After about 3-4 weeks, Crutchfield was kind enough to let me return the speakers so I could upgrade to something slightly better

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1399083
Why not the same speakers front and rear?

Old 08-13-2018, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
I like to live dangerously

example, today .... I wore WHITE SOCKS with black pants

Old 08-13-2018, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LLLC1393
Thanks. Finally a relevant and helpful response. I'm not comfortable doing much more than replacing the door speakers. I also can't see spending the money beyond that. I honestly am not thrilled with this particular Fit, and much prefer our 2010. Unfortunately my wife drives that one and I rarely get the chance. Replacing the H/U would require way too much time, money, and add-ons to work correctly. While some here have done fantastic jobs with radio replacement and more, I'm just not that into this car and can't make that level of commitment. Finally the yellow color has just not grown on me. From a financial perspective, my 2015 Fit EXL is tough to beat for cost of operation. I just can't seem to find an acceptable and affordable replacement for it. I also owe about $3K more than it's worth, being halfway though a 6 year loan. I absolutely do not want to get any vehicle that requires premium fuel. Otherwise I'd be looking at Acura, as I really like Honda for reliability and maintenance. I may order the replacement speakers from Crutchfield, but don't want to be disappointe with the results.
I am sorry to hear you are not in love with your GK. I haven't even had mine for two months yet, but I really really like it. I have been thinking about your dissatisfaction with the car's audio system and not wanting to commit.

I have what I believe would be a great solution. For ~$130 you could install a
Kenwood KSC-SW11 Compact Powered Subwoofer Kenwood KSC-SW11 Compact Powered Subwoofer
under a seat or in the hatch area. It is definitely compact at only 11x7.5x2.75 inches, but it is a really nice little sub.

BG1985 has two in his Fit (he is clearly an overachiever). I have one under the front seat of my '94 Silverado pickup truck and it sounds fantastic; IMO this sub, on its own, would make a huge improvement in the overall sound quality of the Fit's factory audio system.

It also comes with ALL the wiring you would need to install the unit, so no additional wiring harness to buy. Installation would be very easy, and if you used wire taps like the ones in the below pic (<$10), no cutting of factory wiring would be required, and there is no need to remove or get behind the factory radio. Further, if you did eventually get rid of the car you could remove the sub and put it in another vehicle (unlike replacing all the door speakers).

I used these sweet posi-taps...

These inexpensive ones would work fine too, you'll only need 5...

As far as where to get the sub, personally I recommend Amazon ($131) for this particular item. I love Crutchfield and have been ordering from them since before many on this forum were born, but for some reason this sub is waaay overpriced there ($250!!!).

Old 08-13-2018, 08:04 PM
An audiophile, overacheiver, immortal god over mortal men, wow I didn't think my build thread was that over the top, but I humbly thank everyone for taking the time to read it! :-)

Last edited by Bassguitarist1985; 08-14-2018 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member
If you want to use one of the thinnest underseat subwoofer, you could try the Pioneer TS-WH500A
https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...ofer/TS-WH500A

some GE8 owner have good experience wit the above model:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...-solution.html

I currently use the slightly thinner version:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ml#post1407514

Old 08-14-2018, 04:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
An audiophile, overacheiver, immortal God over mortal men, wow I didn't think my build thread was that over the top, but I humbly thank everyone for taking the time to read it! :-)
All that (maybe little g?) and modest too...

Old 08-14-2018, 08:23 AM
All that (maybe little g?) and modest too...

Edited! :-)

Old 08-14-2018, 09:10 AM
5 Year Member
I am sorry to hear you are not in love with your GK. I haven't even had mine for two months yet, but I really really like it. I have been thinking about your dissatisfaction with the car's audio system and not wanting to commit.

I have what I believe would be a great solution. For ~$130 you could install a Kenwood KSC-SW11 Compact Powered Subwoofer under a seat or in the hatch area. It is definitely compact at only 11x7.5x2.75 inches, but it is a really nice little sub.

BG1985 has two in his Fit (he is clearly an overachiever). I have one under the front seat of my '94 Silverado pickup truck and it sounds fantastic; IMO this sub, on its own, would make a huge improvement in the overall sound quality of the Fit's factory audio system.

It also comes with ALL the wiring you would need to install the unit, so no additional wiring harness to buy. Installation would be very easy, and if you used wire taps like the ones in the below pic (<$10), no cutting of factory wiring would be required, and there is no need to remove or get behind the factory radio. Further, if you did eventually get rid of the car you could remove the sub and put it in another vehicle (unlike replacing all the door speakers).

I used these sweet posi-taps...

These inexpensive ones would work fine too, you'll only need 5...

As far as where to get the sub, personally I recommend Amazon ($131) for this particular item. I love Crutchfield and have been ordering from them since before many on this forum were born, but for some reason this sub is waaay overpriced there ($250!!!).
Could you provide a bit more on wiring this sub. I am not comfortable with having to get behind the factory radio, but this sounds pretty simple. I assume that the sub would need both power and audio signal., Where exactly are these coming from. Please be specific. Thanks for the tip on the sub. This sounds like a great idea for a small investment.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LLLC1393
Could you provide a bit more on wiring this sub. I am not comfortable with having to get behind the factory radio, but this sounds pretty simple. I assume that the sub would need both power and audio signal., Where exactly are these coming from. Please be specific. Thanks for the tip on the sub. This sounds like a great idea for a small investment.
I will provide you as much help as you need. Based on the KSC-SW11 manual and my experience with my car, you will have seven wires to connect.

The only wire I am not sure about is the sub's blue turn on lead, because I didn't need one for my particular sub. A little probing with a multimeter and I'm sure I can find one in the B-pillar to keep the wiring super easy. Or if anyone has a wiring diagram for the back doors that would be helpful too.

Here is my initial take on the sub wiring:

Quick Reply: Speaker Upgrade to Improve Sound?