Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Snapping Fender

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 03:22 PM
Snapping Fender

First gotta say I love my Fit. What are the words to explain a car that holds so much, is econimical with fuel and looks so cute.

Anyway, I recently noticed my front bumper looked loose under one of the headlights when I finished shopping. I had left it in the store's parking area and got all peeved off thinking possibly a shopping cart or something hit it. Luckily, it didn't have a scratch on it. When I got it home and examined it closely and noticed the bumper and bumper trim was plastic. Tried pushing the bumper back in bracket but was a little nervous and wondered if I would do it more harm than good. I called my Honda dealer and they recommended a local body shop. So, off I went with their recommendation. Got to the place and asked them to check the car. Without even looking at the car the guy said he needed a copy of my registration (don't know why but apparently this is what the place does). So, the guy looks at my car, opens the hood, can't see anything, tries to get under the car, still really can't see anything and starts telling me that things may have to be replaced. He goes in his office and for the next 15-20 minutes starts looking at his pc and punching info in. By now I'm really, really nervous. He comes back and tells me the whole bumper and trim will have to be taken off, to check everything over of course. Plus, they have to be completely repainted. I look at him and say, but there's is not a scratch or mark on either. He says it doesn't matter, it still has to be done and cost about $800. By now I had enough and left the place. Although, I'm still concerned why he needed my registration before looking at the car and not sure if that will hurt me in the future.

Day after I asked a co-worker about his new BMW which was recently worked on. He comes outside, checks my car and agrees it does not need painting and says the fender just needs to be snapped back into the bracket. He recommended his body shop and off I went again. I asked body shop guy to take a look at my car. He looks at the fender and carefully snaps it back in place. "Done". I look back in surprise and say "Done". "Yep, it's good to go". There's nothing else wrong. Then he says because the Fit is so low to the ground it happens. Something must have snagged it off. And he's seen this happen alot with the high end Mercedes. I thanked him and told him he made my Christmas.

Thank goodness I listened to another recommendation

Last edited by LittleDevil21; 12-21-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:51 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
The first place was just trying to rip you off. Glad that you got a 2nd opinion from someone who knew what they were talking about. Thanks for the heads up!

Cat :x

Old 12-21-2007, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
that right there is why you should always get a second opinion.theres always someone trying to screw you