Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

My Key is STUCK inside the Driver Side Door

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 01:12 AM
Question My Key is STUCK inside the Driver Side Door

I've searched the web and these forums and I think I've encountered a rather... unique problem.

First some background:
Purchased my base-model 2007 Honda Fit in 2012
The car had been salvaged, but everything appeared in good shape and I got it for a great price.

One thing I noticed right away, was that the two Key Fobs that came with the car were not working. They would light up to indicate that it had a working battery, but other than that, nothing. This wasn't a major issue and I continued on simply using my key to lock and unlock.

Some time ago, maybe a year ago it became difficult to enter the key and I took it to a friend who owned a shop and they cleaned it up a bit.

Recently this problem came back, and just yesterday when trying to get in so that I could go to school in the morning, the key got STUCK in the door lock. I tried and tried but could just not get it to come out. I grabbed my spare and drove to school with a key sticking out of my car. I figured it was too jammed for anyone to steal, and of course when I returned to my car 9 hours later it was still stuck.

I thought, maybe I could try to make the keyless remote entry work, but that didn't work either (after watching lots of youtube videos).

So now I'm at an impasse. What should I do?

I took a video to show my jammed key.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:45 AM
5 Year Member
I'd spray some WD-40 or another penetrant on the key as a first attempt. (Clean any overspray off the paintwork!) Give it a few minutes to wick into the lock.

Then, tap the key INWARD with the back of a screwdriver. (Sounds counter-intuitive, but that has been known to free-up the tumblers.)

Once you free up the key, a graphite lubricant (Lock-Eze) is best.

As for the inop keyfobs, this YouTube vid might help. SEARCH for others.

Otherwise, you are well advised to ask at a locksmith or dealer...

Old 07-07-2016, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
Search on this forum for "Cheap fit key " or something like that. Our 2007 cars use a 1 year wonder combination of alarm fob and security... It can get expensive if you pick the wrong parts.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
Door lock is stuck because it needs new tumblers. A worn tumbler has jammed the lock (looks like it's slightly turned too), trapping the key inside.
Wear of the key blade can aggravate the tumbler issues.

In my town the local locksmith shops do not have parts for Hondas Sidewinder locks. Dealer is the only game in town.