Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Taking Out of Storage

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 01:44 PM
Taking Out of Storage

Hey I have a 2008 fit that's been in long storage, what steps do you think I should take to get it out of storage and smogged.

I think I should replace the coil packs just because those give me problems every 50k miles or so, flush the fuel system and radiators, oil change of course. Anything else?

Old 10-20-2018, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
Start by making only one thread on this.

I hope you stabilized the fuel prior to storage and ran it a bit to get the stabilized fuel through the system. If it varnished, you're going to have a less than fun time.

Change the coolant, brake fluid, oil. Spray some fogging oil into the cylinders prior to starting it. New battery.

Was it stored parked or on Jackstands? You'll find out if this is the case or not, but the seals on your dampers may fail if static for that long. I've had it happen on a Miata that was stored for a year.

Last edited by sneefy; 10-21-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fooodog
Hey I have a 2008 fit that's been in long storage, what steps do you think I should take to get it out of storage and smogged.

I think I should replace the coil packs just because those give me problems every 50k miles or so, flush the fuel system and radiators, oil change of course. Anything else?
What is long therm storage? four months or four years? Inside or outside? Has anyone started the car or has it just been sitting? For sake of discussion your interpretation of long term storage is the same as mine? If sitting too long and the engine wasn't turned over the protective oil film on engine surfaces can leave. You then risk breaking a piston ring at startup or maybe spinning a rod bearing? That's why the other poster recommended some fogging oil in the cylinders. You probably should change ALL the fluids. Brake, clutch, power steering, transmission and oil. Depending on how old the tires are you might need to get them replaced for safety? Tires only are good for 5-6 years. The rubber deteriorates from exposure to air and sun. Seals could have dried up depending on how long the car has been sitting? Allot of wire insulation is soy based and rodents like to eat it. I guess you'll find out what issues you need to address if any once you start the car? Cars really aren't meant to just sit. Unless I'm missing something I'm not really aware of any Fit that are rare or desirable? I'n hindsight you probably should have just sold it and bought another when you needed a car again.

Last edited by Rob H; 10-21-2018 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rob H
What is long therm [sic] storage?
In a redundant thread created by the OP, he said 3 years.

Old 10-21-2018, 05:31 PM
Yeah, 3 years. Migh end up selling the sc and doing a k-swap on it. We'll see.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
Ditto on all of the advice above.

Wondering why you have to replace the coils every 50k? As long as they are Denso or Hitachi OEM, they will last way longer. We're still on our original coils minus the one that gets sooted by #3 due to a loose plug. If they aren't Denso or Hitachi, definitely replace with those.

If you decide to sell the S/C, let me know

Old 10-22-2018, 04:36 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by GAFIT
Ditto on all of the advice above.

Wondering why you have to replace the coils every 50k? As long as they are Denso or Hitachi OEM, they will last way longer. We're still on our original coils minus the one that gets sooted by #3 due to a loose plug. If they aren't Denso or Hitachi, definitely replace with those.

If you decide to sell the S/C, let me know
Definitely interested in selling the SC, I'll probably sell it on ebay? Unless someone wants to do a direct deal. PM me if you want to continue the conversation