Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

K swap Vs. Stock FI

Old 12-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by downest
now about FI...

Putting your own kit together for $1500 means either you aren't using good parts, you get amazing deals, or you're skimping on a lot of stuff. I've done tons of turbo installs and finding a good reliable one done with good parts for less than even 2 grand is tough (not including labour). You can spend nearly $1200 on a turbo alone! There are so many little things that add up, unless you've actually done it before you may not know everything... and personally I wouldn't cheap out on something that.
For $1500 dollars... of course im gonna use cheap parts, but that doesn't mean that ill cheap out on the major things like a good turbo, and engine management. i have a few parts laying around already and i just got a used Garrett turbo, for engine management im going to go with the new AEM FIC, it has worked really good for others so i think im going to try it out. also ill be using an AEM wideband controller to street tune my car.
the things that im going to cheap out on are going to be, ebay intercooler, ebay BOV, charge piping, couplers etc..
the manifold and downpipe, i will be fabbing up on my own because i can weld. and that'll save me a bunch of money.
my turbo kit is going to be like what you'll see on HMT but a bit better

Old 12-05-2007, 02:53 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
idk about used turbos. i wouldnt buy one used. you have no idea if the person before you let the turbine cool down or if the bearings are cooked. but used turbo or new turbo, its better than nothing

Old 12-05-2007, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by ToyotaLover
the way turbo works is that the change in throttle effects the turbo system like they stated above. The only difference is that depending on how good the tune on the piggyback(all FI are piggyback unless they make a standalone even when they call them not piggy back) HKS, JRSC, Greddy, T1R etc. If the tuner is good they will be able to tune the fuel to meet your driving habits, and can potentially increase MPG by leaning out regular driving where the stock ECU might have been rich. Plus for the first few months after FI you won't be seeing an improvement while romping on the gas all the time to feel the increased HP you just got.
I got a chuckle thinking about a tuner spending his time on the dyno to lean out partial throttle maps to improve gas mileage. I know that's just an added bonus to tuning air/fuel ratios for increased power, but it's funny to me to imagine that happening.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by quangalang
For $1500 dollars... of course im gonna use cheap parts, but that doesn't mean that ill cheap out on the major things like a good turbo, and engine management. i have a few parts laying around already and i just got a used Garrett turbo, for engine management im going to go with the new AEM FIC, it has worked really good for others so i think im going to try it out. also ill be using an AEM wideband controller to street tune my car.
the things that im going to cheap out on are going to be, ebay intercooler, ebay BOV, charge piping, couplers etc..
the manifold and downpipe, i will be fabbing up on my own because i can weld. and that'll save me a bunch of money.
my turbo kit is going to be like what you'll see on HMT but a bit better

Could you do a cost breakdown once you have everything together? You're saving a bit by making your own manifold and even on the used parts... a good condition BB turbo is still going to be about half your budget at least. Not trying to knock your setup, if you know what you're doing, more power to you!

Old 12-05-2007, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by gg06mr
I got a chuckle thinking about a tuner spending his time on the dyno to lean out partial throttle maps to improve gas mileage. I know that's just an added bonus to tuning air/fuel ratios for increased power, but it's funny to me to imagine that happening.

I do it for my customers, street and dyno.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:20 PM
I do it for my customers, street and dyno.
That's cool. Every time I've had a car tuned it's only been the full throttle maps. In fact, I don't think I've ever even considered having the partial throttle maps adjusted. Maybe that's just an NA mentality?

Old 12-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Could you do a cost breakdown once you have everything together? You're saving a bit by making your own manifold and even on the used parts... a good condition BB turbo is still going to be about half your budget at least. Not trying to knock your setup, if you know what you're doing, more power to you!
for sure ill do a list.
lol i have no mula mula for a ball bearing turbo..im not a baller like you LOL. journal bearings FTW!!

Old 12-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by quangalang
for sure ill do a list.
lol i have no mula mula for a ball bearing turbo..im not a baller like you LOL. journal bearings FTW!!
Never said I was ballin with a GT turbo or something... but if I were going to do it you can bet I'd save and rock a nice BB unit!

Old 12-05-2007, 03:29 PM
That's cool. Every time I've had a car tuned it's only been the full throttle maps. In fact, I don't think I've ever even considered having the partial throttle maps adjusted. Maybe that's just an NA mentality?

Most people won't bother because most customers want to see high peak numbers, and accept that low fuel economy is normal for a modified motor. There is really no reason a motor shouldn't make close to stock MPG in cruise... it's really just about the time you put into it. We did a turbo kit on a B16 CRX for a customer recently who's pulling around 30MPG highway and I really didn't get too much PT tuning done on the dyno (dynojet brake issues), maybe a solid hour of street tuning on that. On my own engines I'll datalog a lot and fine tune until I'm happy. Last summer I was making 44mpg on a 12:1+ CR D series motor on the highway.

You may expect that you'll get crappy MPG when you get a car built by someone, because that's unfortunately kind of the standard. I'd like to have happy customers come back when they want something new because their "modified" car is still completely capable as a daily driver.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:42 PM
Most people won't bother because most customers want to see high peak numbers, and accept that low fuel economy is normal for a modified motor. There is really no reason a motor shouldn't make close to stock MPG in cruise... it's really just about the time you put into it. We did a turbo kit on a B16 CRX for a customer recently who's pulling around 30MPG highway and I really didn't get too much PT tuning done on the dyno (dynojet brake issues), maybe a solid hour of street tuning on that. On my own engines I'll datalog a lot and fine tune until I'm happy. Last summer I was making 44mpg on a 12:1+ CR D series motor on the highway.

You may expect that you'll get crappy MPG when you get a car built by someone, because that's unfortunately kind of the standard. I'd like to have happy customers come back when they want something new because their "modified" car is still completely capable as a daily driver.
What chassis were you using w/ the high comp. D series? Better yet, what were the hp and tq numbers? Just curious. I like your philosophy as far as tuning is concerned. I'm sure that you'll be rewarded for that in the long run.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:49 PM
That was in my CRX, I built a lot of D motors for it that had relatively high output. That particular one was never dyno'd, but it was a bit faster than B16 and stock B18 swapped CRXs and EFs.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:30 PM
That was in my CRX, I built a lot of D motors for it that had relatively high output. That particular one was never dyno'd, but it was a bit faster than B16 and stock B18 swapped CRXs and EFs.
I would assume 160-170ish whp then, which is a great for a SOHC 1.6L in my opinion. About time for you to drop a K series in it though.....right?

Old 12-05-2007, 04:35 PM
I would assume 160-170ish whp then, which is a great for a SOHC 1.6L in my opinion. About time for you to drop a K series in it though.....right?

Tom is actually doing a B18 build. We currently do have 2 k20 projects here. One is my crx with the built k24/k20 hybrid ITBS and Johns Fit that has the motor done and everything else, just waiting on wiring.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by Hocker
Tom is actually doing a B18 build. We currently do have 2 k20 projects here. One is my crx with the built k24/k20 hybrid ITBS and Johns Fit that has the motor done and everything else, just waiting on wiring.
K24A2 block and K20A2 head or what? And which cams? I'm assuming your goal is 270+ whp? And what are your plans for it? Track? 1/4 mile? I'm really interested in the details on it if you couldn't tell.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:01 PM
K24A2 block and K20A2 head or what? And which cams? I'm assuming your goal is 270+ whp? And what are your plans for it? Track? 1/4 mile? I'm really interested in the details on it if you couldn't tell.
It is a K24 block bored with AEBS sleeves and K20 head, all built by RLZ. I am running crower stage 3 cams and the motor should make 300whp. It is definately over built and kept back to be more streetable. I could toss a shot on it if I want.

Plans for it are everyday everything. It isnt a daily so it will just come out for shows and the track and maybe a good sunday drive. Everything is done up completely and to the T

For a link to the entire build

Project Blues Clues

Old 12-05-2007, 05:21 PM

Acutally... it's technically a B16... with a 89mm stroke and 85mm bore...

Old 12-05-2007, 05:22 PM
My friend has a setup that is very similar, with a nicer cam than I was running, and he put down 160somethingwhp and 130something wtq, with a non-ideal tune IMO. Another case of a big name tuner just doing the peak power, his engine got 30mpg at best in the same chassis.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:27 PM
LOL Sorry I thought you were doing a B18.

Either way the whole thread here is really down to the user and of course the budget of said user.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:44 PM
It is a K24 block bored with AEBS sleeves and K20 head, all built by RLZ. I am running crower stage 3 cams and the motor should make 300whp. It is definately over built and kept back to be more streetable. I could toss a shot on it if I want.

Plans for it are everyday everything. It isnt a daily so it will just come out for shows and the track and maybe a good sunday drive. Everything is done up completely and to the T

For a link to the entire build

Project Blues Clues
That answers the question about how you dealt with the hood clearance issue. Overall, it looks like a very well thought out build. I especially like the reinforced welds on the mounting brackets as well the custom work done for mounting the shifter box lower, rather than mimicking the Karcepts concept and sealing the box in with sealant. I assume it'll be somewhere around 12-12.5:1 compression to support the big cams?

Old 12-11-2007, 07:47 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah Hocker, I remember reading through that thread a while back. Clean Rex! Nice attention to details!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: K swap Vs. Stock FI