Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

The Official Intake Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 03:28 AM
5 Year Member
excellent post. great info

Old 04-27-2008, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
So with all of these aftermarket intakes, what do you do about changing/cleaning the filters. I know that K&N offers the cleaning kit, but what about for the T1R, Mugen, Mishimoto, etc. I'm interested in the Mishimoto, but don't know what to do about the filter.

Thanks,

Josh

Old 04-28-2008, 08:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by edjosh23
So with all of these aftermarket intakes, what do you do about changing/cleaning the filters. I know that K&N offers the cleaning kit, but what about for the T1R, Mugen, Mishimoto, etc. I'm interested in the Mishimoto, but don't know what to do about the filter.

Thanks,

Josh
I have the TR1 and I was asking myself the same question while washing the winter away from the engine bay this week-end.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by tricolor
I have the TR1 and I was asking myself the same question while washing the winter away from the engine bay this week-end.
i think the best thing to do would be to call ben at aj-racing and ask if it is in fact a reusable filter. some filters are only made to be used once. if it is reusable dont you think you could just march down to auto zone and pick up the k&n cleaning kit?

Old 04-28-2008, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
So as for the the ARC induction box....... I sent an email to Mackin 2 weeks ago asking for info on it since nobody in the states acknowledges it is out there BUT, Mackin has not acknowledged my email either. Really disapointed.

I am gonna try one more resource prior to just buying one from Boomplustoys.com

Will keep everyone posted.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
i just ordered the AFE intake, will let you guys know how it is when i get it

Old 04-29-2008, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by obiwai
i just ordered the AFE intake, will let you guys know how it is when i get it
dude that is awesome please keep us updated. i was REALLY considering getting it for my self but money is tight so im going to have to wait for my intake.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:13 AM
5 Year Member
alright, finally got my AFE intake today, here is my review:
fit and finish: 8/10. the quality of the intake is pretty good, but fitment of the heat shield is a little off. still, the install was pretty easy.
sound: 8.5/10. the sound it makes when you step on it is pretty nice, very deep tone, but doesn't sound as good as a cold air intake of course.
performance: 8.5/10. i didn't really drive it too hard yet, but seems like the response is better, and according to AFE, this intake is suppost to give you an extra 7hp just above 5000 rpm, it was raining today so i didn't really drive it much after the install. so overall i am pretty happy with it. for the price you pay this is a pretty good product i think.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by obiwai
alright, finally got my AFE intake today, here is my review:
fit and finish: 8/10. the quality of the intake is pretty good, but fitment of the heat shield is a little off. still, the install was pretty easy.
sound: 8.5/10. the sound it makes when you step on it is pretty nice, very deep tone, but doesn't sound as good as a cold air intake of course.
performance: 8.5/10. i didn't really drive it too hard yet, but seems like the response is better, and according to AFE, this intake is suppost to give you an extra 7hp just above 5000 rpm, it was raining today so i didn't really drive it much after the install. so overall i am pretty happy with it. for the price you pay this is a pretty good product i think.
sounds good man, thanks for the update. so have you noticed a diffrence in performance and MPG after having it on for a little while longer? oh! about how much less would you estimate that the intake and heat shield weigh compared to the stock unit?

Old 05-11-2008, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
ON THE ARC.............

Still no response from Mackin. My buddy that reads and Speaks Japanese has a JDM Honda book that has a ARC box for the fit in it but from what he said is that it is not actually an "ARC" box. Its a D Sport box and it uses an ARC panel filter.

I would like to find out more on this one because I'd rather have the super induction box rather than the new style box with the cone filter.

I am gonna try and order a box from boomplus toys this week. Money permitting.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:45 PM
[quote=SpokanejdmGD3;306389]ON THE ARC.............
I would like to find out more on this one because I'd rather have the super induction box rather than the new style box with the cone filter.
quote]

i agree with you on that one. if i were to get any sort of induction box i would want a panel filter. having this huge open space with a little cone filter inside of it just doesnt look right.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
I can only come up with 2 reasons why everything says it will not fit the USDM car.

1. Our battery is big. Resolution: Oddessy battery

2. The ARC doesn't seem to have a spot for the Mass Air Sensor
Resolution: Universal bit out a hole in the plenium, add a rubber grommet and plug that sucker in.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by SpokanejdmGD3
I can only come up with 2 reasons why everything says it will not fit the USDM car.

Resolution: Universal bit out a hole in the plenium, add a rubber grommet and plug that sucker in.
well done sir. and think about it. your replacing the clunky stock battery with a smaller lighter unit. which means weight reduction plus the oddessy battery probably cranks just as well if not better than the stock one. and the MAF would be a sinch, all you do is drill a 5/8'' hole, pull the rubber grommet off the stock box and stick it in the new one.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
bingo bango JDM tyte Yo!

but for real. I have not found one picture of the box installed on a GD1 or GD3. ANYWHERE.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:49 PM
bingo bango JDM tyte Yo!

but for real. I have not found one picture of the box installed on a GD1 or GD3. ANYWHERE.
this intake must add like 5 jdm points to a usdm fit, if any one on this web site is not familiar with the jdm point system which was created by my self 2 seconds ago 1 point equals like 20whp

its a ghost, i havent been able to find one either. which makes it that much more desireable. i just want to see how much of that void it fills. i have a huge problem with that empty space thats left when you change the intake, just looks nasty.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Banned

A couple of things...that is NOT your "mass air sensor" the Jazz/Fit doesn't have one. The piece the pushes into the pipe is you IAT sensor (intake air temperature sensor) and you can take the stock grommet out and drill a new hole to match the stock size no need for a new grommet.

The other big problem with JDM/USDM parts swapping is that the two have DIFFERENT Throttle bodies and the open end of the two TBs are in slightly different positions between JDM/USDM.

So the intake MAY Fit with slight modifications to the mounting points to adjust for the different TB positions OR it may be way too far out of position to use. Try a PM to kelsodeez he has both engines maybe he would measure the distance for you before you buy.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
Ah well I stand corrected. I only said MAS because I saw it posted in another intake thread. I didn't think Honda had gone to MAS but figured since I am a noob I might be mistaken.

I would expect things to be slightly off as well between JDM and USDM but that is all I am trying to get across is that with minor modification I believe it will work properly.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:23 PM
well the IAT issue isnt that big of a deal, any one who has done the SSR intake (sidshortram, there is a sticky aout it) has had to tap a hole in the new intake and use the stock grommet to fit the sensor.

but thanks for the heads up on the TB situation. i hadnt even taken that one into consideration. that could totally bring up some fitment issues.

but thats usually how it goes with modding a honda, you think its going to fit because there really isnt that many differences between your usdm and the jdm version and then after spending buukoo bucks you realize that it is not going to fit with out major modifications to the car or the part (or both!!!)

which brings up the next chapter in the official intake thread:

when modifying your car, do your research, even if it is for the smallest thing. forums like this are here to help you.

so when using fitfreak.net or any other discussion board, use the search tool as much as you can and when you find a thread related to your search read every single post because five bucks says that you are going to find what you are looking for and a ton of other info that you would not even think of searching for.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
Here's a new site for the J's Racing Tsuchinoko Cold-Air:

J's Racing - The Extreme Honda Ride

Can someone explain what GD means and in relation to USDM?

Old 05-22-2008, 12:35 AM
Originally Posted by F'it_ImFromTx
part two: short ram intakes

4. hks super suction kit $663.39 at bullerproofautomotive.com

(copied from bulletproofautomotive.com) High capacity racing intake kit made of aluminum. 70mm-60mm piping

anyone have use above intake for their fit? Dont mind share the review for above intake? pro & contras......tq Thinking going for this type of intake..........

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Official Intake Thread