Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Mfactory LSD Installed

Old 07-17-2009, 12:54 PM
weq
Originally Posted by MFactory
Best fluid to use for your current application would be Honda MTF
oO, but i read at MFactory page it's not recommended to use MTF Honda..

so far i have done at my drivetrain is use Final Gear 4,7, MFactory Close Gear and Carbonetic Clutch ..

is it still save to use MTF Honda after i add LSD on my Gearbox ?
so i dont need to use LSD Oil ?

this is a important news for me, because after i installed MFactory LSD, i plan to use LSD Oil ..

thanks MFactory

Old 07-17-2009, 12:57 PM
For a street car, Honda MTF is more than adequate

If you are doing a lot of high-rpm racing though, then it may be better to get a transmission fluid such as Pennzoil Synchromesh (I don't think you guys have Torco over there).

You do not need to use special gear oil, and no need for LSD Additives.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:02 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
yea, LSD oil is made for clutch type LSD's. not helical type like the Mfactory.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:07 PM
weq
For a street car, Honda MTF is more than adequate

If you are doing a lot of high-rpm racing though, then it may be better to get a transmission fluid such as Pennzoil Synchromesh (I don't think you guys have Torco over there).

You do not need to use special gear oil, and no need for LSD Additives.
is Torco or Penzoil Synch is 10w-40 ?
in indo i find a difficulity to find that kind of oil.. there's only common oil such as Castrol,Motul,Total,Petronas,Shell,Aral,FK,HKS,Gre edy,Mobil..

is it more suggest MTF Honda then the other brand if i can't find torco or penzoil synch ?
and also is MTF Honda 10w-40 ?

thanks a lot MFactory

Last edited by weq; 07-17-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by weq
is Torco or Penzoil Synch is 10w-40 ?
in indo i find a difficulity to find that kind of oil.. there's only common oil such as Castrol,Motul,Total,Petronas,Shell,Aral,FK,HKS,Gre edy,Mobil..

is it more suggest MTF Honda then the other brand if i can't find torco or penzoil synch ?
and also is MTF Honda 10w-40 ?

thanks a lot MFactory
I am thinking for hot places like Indonesia, it might be a good idea to try 75w90 fluid to protect your gears. However u DON'T have to use any special fluid like most of the guys said.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:21 AM
weq
Originally Posted by spoonek4
I am thinking for hot places like Indonesia, it might be a good idea to try 75w90 fluid to protect your gears. However u DON'T have to use any special fluid like most of the guys said.
what 75w90 brand that u suggest for me ?
what is the effect if i use LSD Oil ?

thanks

Old 07-18-2009, 01:39 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
someone should buy my bnib mfactory LSD

Old 07-18-2009, 05:15 PM
How many people are going to have to eat up bearing cages before the recommendations for 80w90 stop?

Honda manual transmission do NOT tolerate that fluid for a long period of time. It sucks changing out the bearings. I've been there on my last Honda. I was lazy and just changed the mainshaft and countershaft end bearings, so I got the car back on the road, but it really needed the gearsets pressed apart and the bearings within them replaced. The 80w90 is thick enough that it doesn't splash up the tray and go down the center of the mainshaft. It sounded like the tranny was filled with sawdust in 5th gear.

Just search on d-s for gear oil. The guy they prefer to send their transmission to for work will likely send it right back if he opens it up and smells gear lube.

For reference, Honda MTF is more like 10w.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:39 AM
Old 07-21-2009, 05:39 AM
weq
i already search on many places..
there's no penzoil syncromesh, maybe not imported to indo ..

i only found Mobil Mobilube 80w90 GL-5, Motul HD-X 80w90 GL-5 or Shell Spirax GL-4. which on is the best ?

thanks

Last edited by weq; 07-21-2009 at 05:41 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:52 PM
I would use conventional 10w30 motor oil before any of those. Shifting may require double clutching when it's cold but it wouldn't completely shred up the innards of your bearings either like any of those gear oils you listed would allow to happen. You could overfill and because it doesn't flow easily enough the bearings in the mainshaft will still run dry.

As a matter of fact Honda recommended motor oil for the manual trannies prior to 1996 when they introduced their MTF. That generation it still said one could use 10w30 as a replacement fluid if MTF was not available but shifting would be a little more difficult.

Actually I just checked, it still says that. In the 2007 Fit owners manual's words - "If Honda MTF is not available, you may use an SAE 10W-30 or 10W40 motor oil with the API certification seal that says "FOR GASOLINE ENGINES" as a temporary replacement. However, motor oil does not contain the proper additives, and continued use can cause stiffer shifting. Replace as soon as it is convenient."

1987 service example
1994 service example

Before any of that tom foolery I would try my best to get Honda MTF. Since the reformulation two years ago it works better than the GM synchromesh in my opinion, which was a far cry better than anything else you could get. Smooth as butter when everything else makes it feel like an old Jeep, and very efficient as far as friction-reducing goes. By the way, you may be interested to know that anything synthetic you will regret completely and dearly. Synthetic oil of ANY type has such a high shear strength that it will make the synchros virtually useless unless it is friction modified. Read: You WILL double clutch on every.single.shift.you.do, or it will grind. If you can't tell, I speak from years of experience and trial/errorS.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by weq
what 75w90 brand that u suggest for me ?
what is the effect if i use LSD Oil ?

thanks
whoa i hope im not too late...DO NOT LISTEN to anybody that says gear oil (75w90 is gear oil)

internet is full of morons

honda mtf is closer to motor oil with additives

Old 11-21-2010, 08:51 AM
Tiu
Woo finally got my hands on the mFactory, Helical LSD and also the mFactory's diff bearings as well as the engine and gearbox magnetic drain bolts. Now the last piece of the puzzle would be my JUN flywheel.