Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Clutch Delay Valve

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 11:35 AM
That has nothing to do with it. Trust me.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mkchiu
Not hard. It's relatively easy if you're mechanically inclined unlike me. Leaving in the CDV means having to time shifts slowly and not putting torque to the ground especially from 1st to 2nd. It's OK if you don't mind people tailgating you from full stops, or if you drive for fuel economy--not that the MT GE's gearing is great for fuel economy. Learning the timing is not quite overreving and dropping the clutch, but it is timing as the there is very little to no feel of clutch engagement.

Working alone, I wasted about 5 hrs total including much overhead, like walking to the hardware store for a hose for bleeding, walking there again for a longer clutch pedal adjustment bolt, bleeding twice, etc. I spent about an hour stripping the original hard line from the original CMC before getting out locking pliers, and another hour trying to get the slightly smaller OmniPower CMC in (after forgetting to align the hose and torque down the flex hose). It went in smoothly the first time, I realized I forget to tighten, then it took an hour to get in again.

Pull air filter box, pull battery, pull air intake, unbolt and move aside the clutch reservoir, and it's almost completely clear to the CMC & hydraulic lines.

With some rags under the hard line, use flare wrenches or locking pliers to remove and replace the hard line. Add the flex soft hose, new CMC, new CMC spacer, and expensive old paper gasket facing the firewall. Orienting the hoses toward the front of the vehicle seemed to work best, but I also had a hard time get it in at all.

A clean new 3/16 in ID hose fitted snuggly on the bleeder nipple, but not so well the second time--I left some air in the system the first time.
Reinstall intake, battery, and air filter.

A restriction (valve) exists under the OEM CMC's plastic nipple to the reservoir. A 3/32 in (2.38 mm) drill bit is likely good enough, but there could be another valve elsewhere.
Well after all the talk I figured I would just order one too instead of waiting for a DIY solution. One question, what size bolt did you get for the pedal? I would like to have all the parts needed before. Thanks!

Old 06-04-2010, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
I'm not planning on putting the original CMC back in anytime soon. I'd need a replacement hardline since I've thrown out the original.

awptickes is unclear but seems to be implying the integral damper (or accumulator) on the GE CMC has more happening than I thought... From the link to the GD CMC thread, it looked like the GD CMC damper was separate though.

I bought a 40 mm bolt. It was excessive, but needing the adjustment nut to reduce the (pedal stop) length was not an issue--about 1.0 cm between bolt head and top of nut. I'll probably add a spring eventually since the clutch pedal assembly's integral spring isn't strong enough to consistently restore the pedal to an out position. The push from hydraulics aren't pushing the pedal up and out enough to maintain sufficient freeplay--about 0.5 cm from bolt end to stop (when pedal gets temporarily stuck down).

ED: I just remembered I had installed the yoke as deep as possible onto the CMC rod. After backing the yoke out to the end of the rod (but still having all yoke threads engage the rod), the pedal functions as expected without changes to springs / tension. Below are images highlighting the yoke, pedal pin, and cotter pin.

The distance from the head of the pedal stop bolt to the adjustment nut is now about 1.5 cm out of a total length of 40 mm. The original 25 mm bolt without a nut may work depending on the install, and new CMC tolerances. So a 30 mm bolt would be safer, and a 40 mm only hurts the wallet.

By mkchiu at 2010-06-04

By mkchiu at 2010-06-04

Last edited by mkchiu; 06-04-2010 at 01:35 PM. Reason: no linebreaks, formatting, details
Old 06-04-2010, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
I hope a spring is not needed to return the clutch pedal. I already have a spring on the gas. Springs everywhere! Man, I have never had to do so much to a stock car to get it to drive normal.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:26 AM
5 Year Member
Re: spring:
ED: I just remembered I had installed the yoke as deep as possible onto the CMC rod. After backing the yoke out to the end of the rod (but still having all yoke threads engage the rod), the pedal functions as expected without changes to springs / tension. Below are images highlighting the yoke, pedal pin, and cotter pin.

The distance from the head of the pedal stop bolt to the adjustment nut is now about 1.5 cm out of a total length of 40 mm. The original 25 mm bolt without a nut may work depending on the install, and new CMC tolerances. So a 30 mm bolt would be safer, and a 40 mm only hurts the wallet.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:08 PM
awptickes is unclear but seems to be implying the integral damper (or accumulator) on the GE CMC has more happening than I thought... From the link to the GD CMC thread, it looked like the GD CMC damper was separate though.
I'm being vague because I have to be. Damned NDAs. There's a lot of safety measures going on in the CMC. There is a damper mechanism and the restriction for fluid and the throw is longer than usual to 'coax' the average user to slip the clutch and put less wear on the transmission.

Don't drill out the small hole. You'll wind up buying a new CMC. The tolerances are rather tight, and it's best if you just leave that part unmodified. One thing I toyed with is putting a nickel under the plate between the metal disc and the outer plate. Never installed it, but it seemed to help a little on the test-bench.

No matter what you do to the stock CMC, you'll still be left with an extremely light clutch pedal, which is why I searched for aftermarket options.

As for the stop-bolt, I just took the nut off, and tightened it into the stop threading all the way. I then adjusted the pedal play to my satisfaction. I may still wind up replacing the omnipower clutch adjustment rod with an OEM rod to get the pedal height closer to stock.

Hope I'm still not being too vague. :P

Old 06-08-2010, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member
I had a hell of a time with the clutch activation when I first got my car but it seems to have gotten better over time..... It actually feels just fine to me now unless I am wearing anything other than deck shoes, thin sole loafers or deck shoes..... I usually wear driving shoes or no shoes at all.... Thick sole hiking type and sneakers and I am all screwed up.... I could understand if I had really large feet but size 13 D should present no problem.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by awptickes
I'm being vague because I have to be. Damned NDAs. There's a lot of safety measures going on in the CMC. There is a damper mechanism and the restriction for fluid and the throw is longer than usual to 'coax' the average user to slip the clutch and put less wear on the transmission.

Don't drill out the small hole. You'll wind up buying a new CMC. The tolerances are rather tight, and it's best if you just leave that part unmodified. One thing I toyed with is putting a nickel under the plate between the metal disc and the outer plate. Never installed it, but it seemed to help a little on the test-bench.

No matter what you do to the stock CMC, you'll still be left with an extremely light clutch pedal, which is why I searched for aftermarket options.

As for the stop-bolt, I just took the nut off, and tightened it into the stop threading all the way. I then adjusted the pedal play to my satisfaction. I may still wind up replacing the omnipower clutch adjustment rod with an OEM rod to get the pedal height closer to stock.

Hope I'm still not being too vague. :P
I didn't mind the lightness or throw of the OEM CMC, but the lack of feel was incredibly annoying due to the difficulty in shifting smoothly. I'm getting used to the Omnipower at its current pedal distance which will works well enough with my stiff knees. It's effectively at the same distance as the OEM bolt without the nut, and with the bolt all the way down. There's enough info for me. It would have been nice to have been able to measure flow rates before and after drilling out the OEM CMC, but I'm reusing it anyway.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I had a hell of a time with the clutch activation when I first got my car but it seems to have gotten better over time..... It actually feels just fine to me now unless I am wearing anything other than deck shoes, thin sole loafers or deck shoes..... I usually wear driving shoes or no shoes at all.... Thick sole hiking type and sneakers and I am all screwed up.... I could understand if I had really large feet but size 13 D should present no problem.
Clutch in is still easy, but clutch out was jerky if I wanted to keep torque on the ground. Thin soled shoes which I've sometimes worn allowed some engagement feel, but the thinness also threw off my movements due to my stomping about in hiking shoes. I've worn thick soled hiking shoes about 90-95% of the miles I driven my Fit.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:55 AM
5 Year Member
Clutch in is still easy, but clutch out was jerky if I wanted to keep torque on the ground.
Same here... in many occasions wife's car seemed "bouncing" when releasing clutch, perhaps because I'm used to shift quicker on my car.

If removing CDV would solve this annoying thing, I'll go for it!

Old 06-10-2010, 10:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jazzista
If removing CDV would solve this annoying thing, I'll go for it!
I wouldn't say having the Omnipower CMC necessarily solves bucking. It allows feeling the clutch engagement point so you can properly slip the clutch. However, the throttle is still Drive By Wire, and the ECU tends to keep RPMs up during shifts for emissions control. Depending on how the throttle is pressed or not pressed during the shift, you can make the ECU allow RPMs to drop faster...and force the ECU to allow faster smooth shifts.

I'm still not conscious of exactly what I do, but can shift smoothly and I suppose fast, about 80% of the time now. Still, I need to get back to the mountains for some further experimentation with the current pedal distance since my commute is short.

To eliminate the RPM smoothing requires reprogramming the ECU. This link might be of interest on work in progress on the reprogramming the ECU (but not for this):
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ibilities.html
It's likely too dangerous to actually daily drive a modified ECU. Considering Honda's and a modern engine's typical tolerances, I'd expect long term engine damage (from excess lean conditions) without it.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for info and link (+rep for you). Definitely increased sensitivity is what I need. I have no bucking on other cars I currently drive.

Thanks a lot,

Old 07-28-2010, 01:10 AM
Would it be possible to use a different oem part off of something like an EP3 or an RSX-S?

Old 07-28-2010, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by curryitr
Would it be possible to use a different oem part off of something like an EP3 or an RSX-S?
The Omnipower is supposed to be compatible with both and more with the spacer and line adapter. 02-06 RSX & Type-S 02-06 Integra Type-R 02-05 EP3 Civic, & Si Also, considering how relatively small Honda is and how much they like to reuse parts, I suspect you would be able to use a non-CDV OEM part off another model. However, I remember reading that most/all newer Hondas have CDVs including the RSX, etc. There might be a master cylinder with the CDV not in the MC on another of their model year 2002+ vehicles, so research.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:47 AM
You could put an RSX CMC in the fit, if you wanted to swap a CMC with a CDV into the car, sure. The reason I put the OmniPower CMC in the car was to GET RID OF THE CDV.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:01 AM
240sx have a similar valve inbetween the mast cyl and the slave cyl. so if i used a mast cyl off a 240 i would delete the cdv the only problem is idk the fits mast cyl so idk how it bolts up can some 1 take a pic of one not installed?

Old 05-06-2011, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah the 240 one was super easy to bypass. I just bent the line around when I swapped in my SR20. I have had the Fit Omni MC for 6 months and still haven't installed it.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitisbamf
240sx have a similar valve inbetween the mast cyl and the slave cyl. so if i used a mast cyl off a 240 i would delete the cdv the only problem is idk the fits mast cyl so idk how it bolts up can some 1 take a pic of one not installed?
...There is already a photo of the Omni-Power in this thread. Or you can goto their site for the higher resolution source image.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...tml#post866424

Likewise a photo of the original Honda MC with integrated-CDV is already in this thread.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...tml#post861825

Old 05-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by IN2TURBOS
Yeah the 240 one was super easy to bypass. I just bent the line around when I swapped in my SR20. I have had the Fit Omni MC for 6 months and still haven't installed it.

ya 240= easy but omni power= $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

i like easy and not expensive

and the photos are too zoomed in can some1 take a pick oh the cyl where it touchs the firewall and where the threads are for the bolts

Last edited by fitisbamf; 05-07-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
So what you meant to ask for are photos of the MC at the firewall in the engine bay, and behind the clutch pedal in the cabin?

Quick Reply: Clutch Delay Valve