Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Ask : oil cooler adapter

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 09:15 PM
Ask : oil cooler adapter

guyz
need help
i bought a used oil cooler, comes with this item
i notice some part is missing which is rubber seal n inlet-outlet fitting naples
but these physicall looks made me curious is this really oil cooler adaptor ?

have any reference for this part would be greatly appreciated
thx before

Last edited by ku8o; 12-29-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
You can use the seal from your present oil filter if it is the right size... Do you have any fittings for the hoses, and what are the 2 bolts that are in place on it for?

Old 12-29-2010, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
You can use the seal from your present oil filter if it is the right size... Do you have any fittings for the hoses, and what are the 2 bolts that are in place on it for?
yes , seal wouldn't be a problem
fittings not so hard to find
these two bolts i think its oil tap; so it has 4 cooling line;

still dont get it how to place these
i do have others brand of adaptor for comparation

the other side :

sides with seal

notice any difference ???

Old 12-29-2010, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
The blue one is an oil sandwich adaptor that you can use to screw sensors in to read oil temperature and pressure on a gauge mounted in the cabin.... The silver one on the other had is an oil cooler adaptor with a thermostat and this is what you want to properly run an oil cooler. The thermostat opens a trap door (that leads to the cooler) at a certain temperature to cool the oil. The reason you want a thermostat is so that you don’t have to wait for your car to warm up when it’s cold out…. Basically, the oil will only be cooled when it needs to be cooled.

Keep in mind that connecting the lines incorrectly can seriously damage your motor. Make sure you to connect the outlet fitting from the adaptor to the inlet fitting on the cooler, and the outlet fitting on the cooler to the inlet on the adaptor.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by JamesBizzle
The blue one is an oil sandwich adaptor that you can use to screw sensors in to read oil temperature and pressure on a gauge mounted in the cabin.... The silver one on the other had is an oil cooler adaptor with a thermostat and this is what you want to properly run an oil cooler. The thermostat opens a trap door (that leads to the cooler) at a certain temperature to cool the oil. The reason you want a thermostat is so that you don’t have to wait for your car to warm up when it’s cold out…. Basically, the oil will only be cooled when it needs to be cooled.

Keep in mind that connecting the lines incorrectly can seriously damage your motor. Make sure you to connect the outlet fitting from the adaptor to the inlet fitting on the cooler, and the outlet fitting on the cooler to the inlet on the adaptor.
i see so this is the same adaptor with two different purpose
the blue one for sensors such as oil temp n pressure
the silver one adaptor for oil cooler

one more question about the blue one
if i already had oil cooler adaptor n intend to use oil sandwich adaptor for sensors
how do put those two ; between filter oil

Old 12-30-2010, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
I wouldn't recomend using both the adaports between the block and the filter. I could not find an oil cooler adaptor on the market that had both a thermostat and bungs for sensors so whatI did was take a Greddy Oil cooler adaptor and I tapped and drilled the two extra plugs in order to screw in my oil temp and press sensors onto the adaptor.

Here's the Greddy unit I bought: Trust GReddy Engine Oil Block Adapter Type E 57mm

Old 12-30-2010, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
glowshift offers one with an two 1/8npt bungs for gauge sensors but it doesn't have a thermostat. Their's is much more cost effective but because it would constantly be runniing oil through the cooler, you would have to warm your car before you start driving.

Oil Cooler Sandwich Adapter - 20mm 1.5 Thread

**NOTE** You'll have to run about 1/2 - 3/4 of a quart of extra oil once you're running the oil cooler.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
$123.88, what kind of cooler and gauges are you using?

Old 12-30-2010, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
I actually got mine for $85 but that was a one time special price from a friend of mines.

For oil, I'm running Greddy SM Integrate Oil pressure and Temperature guages.

I made a custom Oil cooler kit using a tranny cooler for the cooler unit.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JamesBizzle
I actually got mine for $85 but that was a one time special price from a friend of mines.

For oil, I'm running Greddy SM Integrate Oil pressure and Temperature guages.

I made a custom Oil cooler kit using a tranny cooler for the cooler unit.
Hey, Thanks a lot, I was wondering why no one had used an A/T fluid filter before.. I could never see why one wouldn't work, they do the same job, from what Iv'e seen are cheaper and come in more sizes... Is it working well ? I will need a cooler before summer comes around again... It's crazy how much stuff I seem to need here lately.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
Does anyone know which Greddy oil cooler fits into our Fit? Because there is a specific oil cooler from Greddy made for certain cars and no universal oil cooler. So just wondering which Honda oil cooler from Greddy would fit? Thanks