Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

DIY: HID Retrofit with FX35 Projectors

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
thinking........... idea....
processing
\
/
unable to/unsafe

i was thinking......... IF the DRL signal could tell the ballast to run the DRL (ballast running all the time at 100% when e-break is off). from the ballast to a relay then to the light. but then i'm just retarded and think to much.

what the ballast see's is 50% on high. if it saw 100% on high all the time then to a separate ballast/relay run a wire to run 50%... see... i think too much....

good think for theretrofitsouce to just disable the DRL's all together

but what you could do is run a wire to the constant on wire and run led's to them

Old 08-08-2010, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
if you must have DRL and HID, w/o HID as the DRL

Power goes to the relay BEFORE it goes to the ballast, the ballast go directly to the bulbs. Some setups don't use relays, so the power goes directly from the car's OE wiring to the ballast. But I much prefer relays when it comes to HIDs.

Okay, I've been thinking about this for a bit over the past months.

This is for those that want to use something for DRL, but not HIDs, since HIDs only run full blast and it would prematurely burn them out. HIDs run full because it needs a minimum amount of electricity to keep the metals vaporized in the capsule. That minimum is too bright to be considered "half of high" (like the current halogen method). Any less electricity and it wouldn't light up at all or be rather unpredictable.

So, first off, you need a SECOND light source. Then you'd need to figure out where to mount it. There were some owners of other cars, that just drilled a hole and put in a really bright LED.

On to the electrical...

If you assume in DRL only mode, the high beam circuit runs at half power because the positive is actually only sending in half power, then you'll need a voltage sensitive relay circuit. This circuit would output to the second source if it receives a low voltage "signal" and to the HID if it receives a high voltage "signal."

Now, if you assume in DRL only mode it gets that "half power" differently, like forcing a higher voltage line to ground into a lower voltage line (look up 7 volt computer mod, I am a computer freak too), like the high beam circuit into the low beam circuit. Then, what you can do is have a relay circuit that outputs to the DRL if it receives power coming IN from both wires for the high beam circuit (basically, one would be normally hot, the other would be normally ground but now hot in DRL mode).

But you know, there's a fairly simpler method. Switch from the single H4 bulb to a dual bulb setup (in my avatar is a pic of the dual bulb setup, both using H1 bulbs). Then put in HID for the low beam and leave a halogen for the high beam/DRL.

Last edited by Goobers; 08-08-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:52 AM
5 Year Member
I was thinking about getting them but didn't like all the extra led's and I despise angel eyes unless its on BMW's. And about the led in the projector, I heard they burn out because of the heat the projector creates...

Now I was thinking, what about fiber optic wire?

Old 08-08-2010, 06:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 90crxfreak
I was thinking about getting them but didn't like all the extra led's and I despise angel eyes unless its on BMW's. And about the led in the projector, I heard they burn out because of the heat the projector creates...

Now I was thinking, what about fiber optic wire?
Supposedly, there's a Depo dual headlight that doesn't have the leds and halos that mine has...

YouTube - ‪Honda Fit DEPO Headlight mod‬‎ a video for the GD

Honda Fit/Jazz Led and Projector Headlights Lamps looks like GD. no halos, but a bit too much chrome (mine too)... what I wonder is... looks like the projector is on the lower, closer to center one. Normally, that's the HIGH beam, so, is it high or low?

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/sale...ngel-eyes.html for the GE, but it has halos. I wonder how it would look if you opened it up and yanked out the halos. Then again, maybe if you contact the seller, they might have it without halos. Though their stuff might be JDM.

**about JDM, I think my headlights are quite possible eudm/jdm, because of the upper mounting points. If that's the case, for anyone that wants to try, the only real issue with JDM headlights in USDM front ends is the upper mounts and possibly a rub inside (mine rubs, but it still fits).

As for the fibre optic, that requires one that has the correct spread (so it shines mostly forward). Alternately, you might be able to position the LED far enough away from the projector so it doesn't burn out, but enough to act like DRL, I dunno.

Last edited by Goobers; 08-08-2010 at 06:42 AM.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:18 PM
5 Year Member
those headlights still have all those LED pieces of crap above the projectors....

and about the fiber optics, instead of drilling at 90* into the housing drill it at an angle to get the light shining forward... and having 2-3 wires.... it might look like the flux capacitor, but it will be hidden by the bezel

Old 03-09-2011, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
I'm doing this project right now and I'm on the hunt for the perfect dog bowl. Went to Wal Mart, Petco, Petsmart, Target and so far none that look like what SMeister used. Similar, but not the best looking. Anybody got a new link to the product?

I'll be getting my kit from theretrofitsource.com, but I don't like any of the shrouds on there. I like the E55, but then they're too tiny for our big headlight rings. Guess I'll be improvising my own shrouds if I can't find a good match.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member
as for shrouds look on ebay., i got mine off of a bmw e90

Old 03-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by Super Mario
I'm doing this project right now and I'm on the hunt for the perfect dog bowl. Went to Wal Mart, Petco, Petsmart, Target and so far none that look like what SMeister used. Similar, but not the best looking. Anybody got a new link to the product?

I'll be getting my kit from theretrofitsource.com, but I don't like any of the shrouds on there. I like the E55, but then they're too tiny for our big headlight rings. Guess I'll be improvising my own shrouds if I can't find a good match.
The shrouds don't have to fill the entire housing, when I did my fit I think I went with the apollo shrouds from trs. End result looked like floating projectors...

You could also paint the bowls as well, but I opted for the chrome so it all appeared oem. Also check ebay for shrouds, or start looking around in walmart. Be creative with it.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:52 AM
5 Year Member
Both Smeister and GD3VP's DIY's were extremely helpful. I'm using the Morimoto Mini D2S with TRS Ocular Shrouds. I also picked up some dog bowls to try to mimic Smeister's awesome look. The bowls I got are a bit bigger and fill the bowl more.

What looks better? Will the light hit the inside of the dog bowl? That's the deepest I could mount the bowls in the reflector bowls without cutting.

Last edited by Super Mario; 03-18-2011 at 03:54 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:58 PM
I dig this one, and with the all blacked out look you've got going you could paint the shroud black and the projector would disappear right into it.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
have you done both? that is dog bowl + ocular?

mine is dog bowl + shroud...

Old 03-19-2011, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member
I don't think the dog bowls are gonna work out for me. The projectors are sitting too far in and I'm pretty sure they're gonna reflect off of the bowl. I'm just gonna go with the oculars.

90crxfreak: I was just test fitting both. What do you mean dog bowl + shroud?

Old 03-20-2011, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
Old 06-15-2011, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
I don't think the dog bowls are gonna work out for me. The projectors are sitting too far in and I'm pretty sure they're gonna reflect off of the bowl. I'm just gonna go with the oculars.

90crxfreak: I was just test fitting both. What do you mean dog bowl + shroud?
So what do the final results look like? I am about to do a GE Morimoto retrofit today. I think it will come out looking real nice.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
oh and dog bowls FTW! lol I'll post some pics of mine later to compare with the new one I am doing

Old 11-16-2012, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
are you still doing hid retro fit services, i want on my honda fit jdm headlights for my conversion