Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Different bulbs for Ambient Light Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 06:06 AM
5 Year Member
Different bulbs for Ambient Light Kit?

I'm considering purchasing the OEM Ambient Light kit for my GE8, but I've read a few reviews that said they were on the dim side. I'm wondering if there are brighter blue LEDs that can be used plug & play style with the rest of the ambient light kit and where I might find them.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
For some reason, and don't ask me why because I can't tell you. But I had the ambient lighting installed on my new 2010. I file it under "Money I pretty much flushed down the crapper". It's very dim. You can only turn it on when the headlights are on, and it's basicly mood lighting for your tennis shoes.

I'd to be interested if there are any plug and go lighting options that would brighten up the lighting as it comes packaged...it's just too dim to be anything...I guess if you have a foot fetish?

If I could go back I would of saved the money or invested into a different installed option.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:21 PM
You should be able to change out the LED's, but it really wont make much difference as they're controlled via a control unit that is only giving a certain percentage of power to them. Going brighter doesn't seem to make a lot of sense as brighter would become overpowering.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gd3vbp
You should be able to change out the LED's, but it really wont make much difference as they're controlled via a control unit that is only giving a certain percentage of power to them. Going brighter doesn't seem to make a lot of sense as brighter would become overpowering.
I'm not looking for overpowering, I mean it's called "ambient" for a reason. But a little brighter would be nice.

I think the older Fits ambient lighting included lighting up the cup holders in the front, I was disappointed that is not included in the 2010 ambient lighting.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by fitchet
I'm not looking for overpowering, I mean it's called "ambient" for a reason. But a little brighter would be nice.

I think the older Fits ambient lighting included lighting up the cup holders in the front, I was disappointed that is not included in the 2010 ambient lighting.
There was ambient cupholder lighting from the factory, it wasn't included in this kit. Its really weak white colored lighting so its nothing to brag about.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
What I basically want to do is have the the use of the switch and functionality that comes with the ambient light kit (on with dome light, on with headlights) with just a little bit brighter LED. I'm not very skilled on the electrical side of things, but reading the install instructions for the OEM kit seems easier than trying to splice and solder wires for other LED kits.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by capitaltpt
I'm considering purchasing the OEM Ambient Light kit for my GE8, but I've read a few reviews that said they were on the dim side. I'm wondering if there are brighter blue LEDs that can be used plug & play style with the rest of the ambient light kit and where I might find them.
You could either drill a hole into the white diffuser cap to allow a direct source of light. Or solder in a parallel resistor to decrease the resistor value seen by the LED to make the OEM LED brighter.
They look like this taken apart:

What I basically want to do is have the the use of the switch and functionality that comes with the ambient light kit (on with dome light, on with headlights) with just a little bit brighter LED.
After purchasing the kit, I felt the LED modules were pretty much useless as well so I did the same as what I think you're looking to do - rewired the switch to some additional LED modules that can be turned on manually or via the Dome Light. Hope that can can give you some ideas .

Old 06-21-2010, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
Zalthras,

Thanks for the link, that's a great setup you have. Any chance you have step-by-step instructions for dummies on how to do all those connections?

Is it possible you could talk me through how to solder a parallel resistor to make the OEM LED brighter?

Old 06-22-2010, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member
Zalthras,
Thanks for the link, that's a great setup you have. Any chance you have step-by-step instructions for dummies on how to do all those connections?
Mm, step by step is kinda involved. Mr Tyler also has some nice pictures and a drawing to help give you a visual on what you're putting together. But if you have specifics on what you want and what parts you're going to be using, I can help guide you as well.

Is it possible you could talk me through how to solder a parallel resistor to make the OEM LED brighter?
Actually I take back the comment about soldering in parallel (I forgot that the black housing has to be able to fit back INTO the blue casing). So instead:
To Increase the OEM optional Ambient Footwell LED output to it's maximum capability - cut off that 1.8kΩ resistor, and solder in place a 470Ω 1/4W (Typical blue LED operate around 2.5-3.5V @ 22ma depending on manufacturer and type).
**note that original resistor isn't soldered on, it's pressed on by machine. So I'm not sure how well solder will stick to the contacts**

Last edited by Zalthras; 06-22-2010 at 02:29 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Zalthras
Mm, step by step is kinda involved. Mr Tyler also has some nice pictures and a drawing to help give you a visual on what you're putting together. But if you have specifics on what you want and what you're going to used, I can help guide you as well.

Actually I take back the comment about soldering in parallel (I forgot that the black housing has to be able to fit back INTO the blue casing). So instead:
To Increase the OEM optional Ambient Footwell LED output to it's maximum capability - cut off that 1.8kΩ resistor, and solder in place a 470Ω 1/4W (Typical blue LED operate around 2.5-3.5V @ 22ma depending on manufacturer and type).
**note that original resistor isn't soldered on, it's pressed on by machine. So I'm not sure how well solder will stick to the contacts**

Thank you so much! That helped me tremendously to understand! (+1 Rep)
I've got one more question that maybe you can help me with. Following the OEM install instructions without modification, will the Ambient Lighting come on with the other interior lights when the door is unlocked and open or do I need to splice into the Dome light for that?

Thanks again!

Old 06-22-2010, 02:27 AM
5 Year Member
Thank you so much! That helped me tremendously to understand! (+1 Rep)
I've got one more question that maybe you can help me with. Following the OEM install instructions without modification, will the Ambient Lighting come on with the other interior lights when the door is unlocked and open or do I need to splice into the Dome light for that?

Thanks again!
You'll need to splice into the Dome Light circuit for that. Default they operate like this:

1) Ambient Switch ON -> Ambient LEDs ON with Parking Lights ON and/or Headlights ON
2) Ambient Switch OFF -> Ambient LEDs always OFF

Old 06-22-2010, 04:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gd3vbp
There was ambient cupholder lighting from the factory, it wasn't included in this kit. Its really weak white colored lighting so its nothing to brag about.
No I think there has been a change. The Older Fits OEM lighting kits used to include footwell lighting as well as illuminating the front cupholders. The pictures I saw the light was the same color as the footwell. It was blue. Just like "refresh mode" it quietly disappeared on the new model.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:43 AM
YouTube - Flexilight with remote control for cars.

modded this myself.

tap the power from to key ignition ON. able to turn off by the remote control.

the led light able to change color via a remote, create a nice ambient.

i plan to daisy chain & extend to the rear under seat & boot too

Last edited by Enegizer; 06-22-2010 at 04:47 AM.