Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

HID people, where did you mount your ballasts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 01:35 AM
Master FitFreaker
nice infos and pics man....

Old 07-05-2006, 02:23 AM
Originally Posted by aallbbeerrtttttt
there is no retrofit "kit" since you have to cut your own housing, you can pay someone to do this but it'll cost you a pretty penny
oicic so i just have to buy any kit and get my housing retrofitted. ok got it thx

Old 07-05-2006, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
Well, you dont want to buy a HID kit if you do a retrofit. The reason being is that HID kits come with rebased HID bulbs. You dont want a rebased bulb for a retrofit. You instead would want D2S HID bulbs that are made for HID projectors.

I recommend that you check out http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/ .
Check out the HIDPlanet University section to get your learn on. You can also check out the Buy/Sell/Trade section to see how much projectors, HID bulbs, and ballasts cost.

Be forewarned that if you do go with the retrofit method, you will have to install a bixenon projector if you want a high beam. They are slightly more expensive and bigger than a regular low beam projector.

Old 07-05-2006, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by corey415
A lot of questions...

1) Rebase - OEM HID comes in two main flavors: D2S for projector HID and D2R for reflector HID. A rebased bulb means a D2S or D2R HID bulb was modified to fit onto a conventional halogen socket. This is never done in an OEM HID application.

2) HID Retrofit - This entails opening up the headlight casing, and installing OEM HID projectors (i.e. s2000 or TSX or TL projectors). If you dont feel comfortable doing this, there are many vendors that will do the labor for you (at a price). Besides this you still need HID ballasts and bulbs.

Pros: The real mccoy. By far the best you can do in terms of light for your car.
Cons: Difficult, expensive, and labor intensive. See, you can fork over a lot of dough and have someone else do the legwork for you or you can do the research, parts tracking, and install yourself.

3) HID Kit - This involves buying a kit that uses rebased HID bulbs and your stock halogen optics.

Pros: Easiest and cheapest method to attain HID lighting.
Cons: Dont expect to have lighting similar to anything OEM. Compare a HID kit with a HID retrofit or OEM HID. You will easily see how much of a difference there is.

4) Color Temperature - The kelvin scale dictates the color of the bulb output and the lumen output. Higher temperature yields a bluer color but less output. All HID bulbs are 35W and are compatible with any ballast. OEM HID kelvin temperature is 4300k.

Higher kelvin temperatures only really applies to HID kits. The reason for this is that with HID kits, the stock halogen optics dont create the brilliant color that a HID projector would. So thats why people purchase higher Kelvin bulbs to sort of compensate for the inferior halogen optics.

Basically it comes down to this:

If you care about the HID "look", then get a HID kit.

If you sincerely care about the main benefit of HID (superior light output and beam pattern), then I heavily recommend a HID retrofit.
here's what my Evo with projectors for halogens look like with just an HID kit (go to post 9 for comparison with factory HID Evo's)

http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?op...&topic=24204.0

IMO if the Fit came with projectors of any sort, just an HID kit will be good enough. the thread i posted shows the beam pattern on the ground, but in reality the outputs are very similar, with a pretty good cutoff on my car as well.

really hopin to install HID's on my Fit....can't stand the halogens

Old 07-06-2006, 10:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fusionchicken
here's what my Evo with projectors for halogens look like with just an HID kit (go to post 9 for comparison with factory HID Evo's)
IMO if the Fit came with projectors of any sort, just an HID kit will be good enough. the thread i posted shows the beam pattern on the ground, but in reality the outputs are very similar, with a pretty good cutoff on my car as well.
The comparison shots between OEM and HID kit dont show any wall shots between the two. The floor shots of the HID lighting dont help much. So its hard to do a direct comparison.

But looking at the wall shot from your car, the glare directly above the "cutoff" is pretty bad. Also, the light flares upwards on the passenger and drivers side cutoff. That is really really a no no. So basically you will glare light at other drivers going the other direction, drivers in front of you, and drivers to your right.

So your pictures are case in point that even with certain projectors, HID kits arent that great. A halogen projector is designed for halogen bulbs.

Old 07-06-2006, 04:41 PM
i scored a set of Nissan HID Projector housings for $40.00, so i'll be doing the full retro conversion on my spare set of stock headlights, so hopefully i'll have the better looking end of the HID's when i'm done with that, don't get me wrong, i like how mine look right now, bur it's time to do it right.

Old 07-06-2006, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tomh
i scored a set of Nissan HID Projector housings for $40.00, so i'll be doing the full retro conversion on my spare set of stock headlights, so hopefully i'll have the better looking end of the HID's when i'm done with that, don't get me wrong, i like how mine look right now, bur it's time to do it right.
Where'd you get a sapre set of stock headlights? I need to start gathering stuff for my retro project.

Old 07-06-2006, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by Wave
Where'd you get a sapre set of stock headlights? I need to start gathering stuff for my retro project.
insurance job on my car, the short story is that my car got really scratched up bad by local car wash, and my insurance company sued to reaplce the headlights, wheels, and rebuff the entire car, so i have a spare set in my garage.

Old 07-06-2006, 09:33 PM
can i get a projector like off a s2000 tsx audi etc and use some after market hid with D2S bulbs? also are those aftermarket HID compatible with all the types of bulbs? it's just a matter whether or not they'll fit in ur housing rite? coz rite now i'm tempted to just install an aftermarket HID Kit and later get a hid projector off my friend and retrofit. so all i have to do then is change the H4 bulb to D2S?

Last edited by wai_lai416; 07-07-2006 at 02:38 AM.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:46 AM
just go to www.hidexpert.com , they have 100% HID kits that are not rebased bulbs, they just come with a adapter ring that the real HID bulb can sit on in our H4 housing and it works real good to give a nice cutoff, getting a rebased kit as others have said is not a good idea, and atleast with the kit from hidexpert you can upgrade with a retro kit later with a projector when you can find a set.

Old 07-07-2006, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by Tomh
just go to www.hidexpert.com , they have 100% HID kits that are not rebased bulbs, they just come with a adapter ring that the real HID bulb can sit on in our H4 housing and it works real good to give a nice cutoff, getting a rebased kit as others have said is not a good idea, and atleast with the kit from hidexpert you can upgrade with a retro kit later with a projector when you can find a set.
so i should get the "OEM XENON HID KIT" with H4 adapters and not the H4 conversion HID kit? and because ours is a reflector housing i think? should we get the D2R bulb instead of the D2S?

Old 07-08-2006, 04:19 AM
Originally Posted by wai_lai416
so i should get the "OEM XENON HID KIT" with H4 adapters and not the H4 conversion HID kit? and because ours is a reflector housing i think? should we get the D2R bulb instead of the D2S?
I would recommend a Bi-xenon kit, but a retro-fit would be better, but yes a oem kit with H4 adapters, which bulb to me would really matter, the only difference in reality is that the D2S bulb puts out a little more littling due to teh bulb not having a little paint on it's surface.

Old 07-26-2006, 03:32 AM
5 Year Member
sorry for takin so long for posting the pix but here u go. plz ignore the date on the camera i alwasy forget 2 change it. Those are lamin-x on my foglights, and my driveway slopes sidewayz that's why the beam looks crooked. This is the 6000k hid's on my 2007 honda Fit.

Here is a small vid clip i took of the hid's in action. Sorry idk why the headlights look green but at no point of warming up do the headlights turn green that is just the camera making it look green.

This is the low beam w/ my foglights on

this is the high beam.

Modified by koolkevin1107 at 12:22 AM 7/26/2006

Old 01-29-2009, 05:30 PM
So I found a bumper removal guide, but before I do that, is there also a guide on removing the stock headlights, and also installing ballasts for the FX35 retrofit? I don't want to go at this without having every piece of information. I wonder how much a shop would charge.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by trancedsailor
So I found a bumper removal guide, but before I do that, is there also a guide on removing the stock headlights, and also installing ballasts for the FX35 retrofit? I don't want to go at this without having every piece of information. I wonder how much a shop would charge.
i hate to dumb you down. but a retrofit isnt somthing that just anybody can do and have it turn out good. the fact that you needed a guide to remove the bumper (2 screws and about 8 puch clips) and cant figure out how to remove the headlights (3 bolts) without instructions, leads me to beleive that you may be wasting your money when the retro doesnt come out as you planned. doing this requires alot of thinking, planning and figuring out for yourself as you go along...so if you hink your hainvg a difficult time removing OEM parts, think again before you start this.

customlights charges $300 for labor. parts are more. the average retrofit for parts and labor is $900-1000 including ballast, bulbs, projector, shroud and labor (spair headlights not included).

however, if you do decide to do it yourself, there is a DIY on this forum for FX projectors. and i used the mounting points for my retro and they were VERY accurate. use that as a guide.

a few tips...get a spair set of headlights so you dont damage your only set and have very little downtime. color doesnt matter since your opening them up anyway. you can spray them any color you need....mine were red, now NHBP. only downtime should be aiming, then take them back off, finish up and install when done.

use JB weld to lock nuts in place when the hoizontal cutoff is correct. dont use jbquick...its just not the same.

DO NOT forget to aim them straight. park at least 25+ft from a wall and make sure the step is the exact same distance apart as the center of your projector....otherwise as your driving your car will have "crosseyed" headlights. most people forget about this and think they are good after getting them horizontally aimed.

oh, and a tip for a shroud, i used a gas stove drip plate from home depot. the projectors and fit headlights are percect cicles and so is the drip plate....just enlarge the center hole of the driplate and trim down the outside diameter. perfect shroud. i polished mine for an OEM reflective look.

Last edited by NIGHTHAWKSI; 01-30-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:30 AM
yo listen I have a set of retrofit headlights already. I just need to take out the OEM headlights and put these in...there's not much work involved besides taking off the bumper, unbolting the OEM heads, putting the retros in, mounting the ballast, putting the bumper back on. I just doubt myself in doing this.