Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

DIY: Replacing the original aux input jack

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
DIY: Replacing the original aux input jack

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself, nor FITFREAK.NET endorse, recommend, encourage nor take any responsibility for the outcome of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Everyone who is upgrading their headunit will lose their OEM aux input in their Fit. I know some headunits come with the aux input on the front, but on some it comes out from the back and it is just a cable with a 3.5mm male on one end to plug directly into the mp3 player or etc. Well, I did some research and found this chassis mount 3.5mm stereo female to female plug and I bought 10 of them (kinda like what I did with the aux input jacks). I am pretty sure it will work, but I will test it to make sure it does.

Here's the store and part I purchased.
Welcome to Markertek.com | Call Us @ 800 522 2025

I am going to sell the other jacks for $8 shipped. It should come out cheaper than buying one directly from markertek.com. I couldnt find any other place selling this product, and anything similar to it was 10x more expensive. You can mount this pretty much anywhere you want. You will just have to drill a hole and mount it and plug in the 3.5mm male that is coming from the back of the headunit into the back of the adapter.

If anything, you can go buy this yourself and still retain a place to plug in your mp3 player or etc instead of having a cable dangling around.

PM me or reply to this thread if you have any questions or comments. I will have the DIY up as soon as I get the jacks and test them.

Last edited by smeister; 05-05-2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:23 PM
So I guess my first question is, what is the aux jack in the Fit console connected to - a cable or a connector, male I suppose? What's on the other side of the jack we see? (And sorry if this has been covered elsewhere).

Old 05-04-2007, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
Its a proprietary connector on the back of the Honda headunit. Usually, if you purchase a new headunit, you will have to have either a new cable for the aux input or it is physically located on the front of the headunit's faceplate. Please correct me if I am wrong since I am not an expert in headunits. There may be other possibilities.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:33 PM
If I understand you right, then, there is a cable that runs from behind the aux port we see in the car that ends in a connector that only Fits into a special port in the back of the stock radio?

Old 05-04-2007, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
No, this is for an aftermarket headunit and not the OEM Honda Fit headunit.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:13 AM
Sorry, I guess I should have been more clear about what I was asking for. I was asking what the stock connection between the aux jack and the back of the stock radio is made up of, what came with the car? The reason I'm asking is because the aftermarket HU I am looking at appears, from the installation manaual (haven't had an opportunity to look at the back of a unit yet), to simply have a female aux input jack itself. I am trying to determine whether I will need to get a different cable solution (perhaps like yours) to connect the existing aux jack and cable to the back of this aftermarket HU, or if the stock solution is a cable that runs from the aux jack to a male output that I can just plug in. It sounded from what you said earlier that what came with the car is not a standardized cable and will have to be replaced.

Thanks and sorry again for the confusion. I appreciate the help.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:51 AM
5 Year Member
I get what you are saying now. The items that came with the car for the aux input won't work with an aftermarket HU. That's why I searched for the 3.5mm female to female adapter so I could have an adapter for the 3.5mm male aftermarket HU cable to be plugged into and on the other end the mp3 player or etc would go into. The adapter is mountable so one side will be exposed and the other side will be inside the plastic center console. The only reason I am doing this so I dont have a cable dangling from somewhere behind my dash. If you don't mind having a cable hanging from underneath the dash or glove box or wherever then you don't need this at all. This just helps you retain the OEM style aux input jack. I hope I cleared it up.

Old 05-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Yes, that clears it up. I'll have to look at the part you are offering again and think some more on what to do about it. I really like the aux port the Fit comes with and want to keep it the way it is as much as possible. Thanks for the help.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:43 PM
5 Year Member
No problem man, I am looking forward to getting my Scosche kit. I just got my JVC KD-HDR1 headunit. My first time going JVC so I am hoping it sounds good.

Old 05-05-2007, 07:12 PM
That looks like a sweet unit. HD radio has got to be nice on the ears.

I'm looking at the Pioneer DEH-P4900. Just gotta have me XM.

BTW, I found a cable that looks a little like the unit you installed in the DIY thread you posted at the top of Fit ICE, only this has a male connector at the end so one can avoid soldering. www.datapro.net/products/1224.htm . I imagine Radio Shack also has these but I can't get onto the connectors portion of their website this afternoon.

Cheers,
Peg

Last edited by Pegasaur; 05-09-2007 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
I tested the 3.5mm female to female adapter and it works. Now, I just have to wait till the Scosche kit comes to my house and install my headunit.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:35 AM
5 Year Member
I have everything installed and it works great. The 3.5mm adapter is very solid and fits the spot nicely. I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:50 AM
I just left the factory aux in jack where it was, but cut off the proprietary Honda connector at the head unit and grafted on two RCA plugs. Those are plugged into a Pioneer CD-RB10 RCA-to-IP-bus adapter, which is plugged into my DEH-P880PRS. I kept the original connector in case I ever want to put it back. The color codes for the wires are in the service manual: green is signal ground, white is the left channel, red is the right channel.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
Very nice mod. I guess mine is more for the base Fit folks that don't have an aux jack there already.