Gauge Interest in a Fit Product or Group Buy Use this sub-forum to gauge market interest in your Product or Group Buy.
If you decide to sell a Product or proceed with your Group Buy, create your listing in our Non-Fit Vendor Group Buys and Product Sales area.
If you decide to become a forum sponsor with "FIT Vendor" title, please Contact Us for details.

Lets get some custom carbon started

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 06:10 PM
The grill i was interested in looks like george2's grill in his signature pic. That was my idea atleast. If you are making something different please let me know so i can decide if its something i still want or not.

Im still interested in mirror caps or covers, roof, the ring around the shifter would be cool (thanks JDMChris) and i think thats about it but could later be interested in other things.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:28 PM
Merchant / Group Buy Organizer ( non-certified )
Originally Posted by jdjohnson9
The grill i was interested in looks like george2's grill in his signature pic. That was my idea atleast. If you are making something different please let me know so i can decide if its something i still want or not.

Im still interested in mirror caps or covers, roof, the ring around the shifter would be cool (thanks JDMChris) and i think thats about it but could later be interested in other things.
Thanks jd, I too like that grill, does it seem to be the one most would like to see in carbon? As mentioned earlier I like to try to take something like that and make it a little different if possible so I was playing around a bit with some ideas that I would like to get input on:
For a carbon part that inserts over the top bar of the grill would it be preferred that this just go straight across so that the stock emblem could be left if desired, or could be removed? Or is one like pictured on george2's car with the emblem on the carbon part preferred? If most like the second, then what about actually forming the "H" emblem right in the carbon and then the inset areas could have colored vinyl applied to make it look similar to the one in red, only the chrome would be carbon?

Old 03-29-2008, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
ok, let me clear up couple things, if you already know these then I'm sorry for wasting your time.

first, that is an OEM sport grill which we have to buy seperate, it doesn't come with any car. What I think most people want would be the entire grill, I think you will be able to sell alot more as well. if you only make a cover, then we will have to buy the grill from honda first which is pretty expensive, then buy the cover from you, I think that will scare alot people away, wanting and able to afford is entirely different.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:13 AM
I know its a Honda grill that you need to buy but unless im reading it wrong he is going to make a complete new grill in CF.

In reply to Rogue Fit i would be interested in just the grill and i would put my type R H on it but if everyone else wants to have a raised H thats fine too. Im not all that picky just throwing out ideas. If you want to make a cover for the grill itself thats cool to just let us know what your wanting to do. I forgot to add CF eyelids for the headlights in my earlier post too. Im really interested in those too.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
the only thing with the cf grill like mine is that its plastic mesh on the bottom of the grill, to fill in the missing area. if he did a cf piece then you more than likely wouldnt have that plastic mesh

Old 03-30-2008, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
wander if it's possible to make something that would go over the regaler oem grill....

Old 03-30-2008, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
How about some Cannards that actually match the curve in the USDM bumper so no modification is required????

Old 03-30-2008, 05:04 PM
Id be interested in a set of fog light covers and a j's carbon fiber grill

Old 03-30-2008, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by diedwater
wander if it's possible to make something that would go over the regaler oem grill....
Im sure a cf cap to go over it would be fine? but then again how much ppl own a sports grill?

Old 03-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by George02
Im sure a cf cap to go over it would be fine? but then again how much ppl own a sports grill?
Not very many. If he just made a regular grill piece and didnt have the mesh would it really matter? I havent seen any close up pics of the sport grill so im not sure. I guess its up to Rogue Fit seeing he is the one making them. Maybe he has a different idea or something

Old 04-01-2008, 01:34 AM
I was gone all day, so sorry I wasn't able to keep up on things.
It looks like we have a number of great ideas and I will try to put togeter a list of specifics including a roof cap, fog lights, mirrors, some interior pieces, cannard wings, and a few others mensioned.
I do think a nice grill is in order and would like to see what others think would be most practicle. I looked at a few photos of J's Racing grill and it looks similar in design to the Mugen part. I have also looked at a exploded installation diagram of the sport grill so as to understand what comes off when you remove the stock part and basically what the new part includes.

Right now I see a few options when it comes to the grill:
1) A full grill insert similar (but different) to the Mugen grill. because of the way the opening is formed it would be easier to add some expanded aluminum mesh to the back side to form the actual 'grill'. Since this does not seem to be the favored part it could be improved upon.
2) A carbon part that simply mounts over the top bar of the existing grill. This would leave the mesh, 'H', and lower part of the stock grill in tact and just add the carbon acsent to the top.
3) A carbon part that mounts over the top bar of the existing grill but also protrudes down in the center similar to the sport grill and covers the 'H'. This would leave the mesh and lower part of the stock grill in tact.
4) A carbon part similar to the sport grill that would require removing the stock part all to gether. Since the stock part and sport grill are injection molded plastic they are able to mold in the tabs needed to hold the part in place, but since this wouldn't be provided on a carbon part the lower section of the grill would be held in place by a different method, and the mesh would likely be formed with expanded aluminum mesh.

There may be more options, but this is how I see it for now and would like to know what if any of these would be prefered.

Again I'll try to get a list together of many of the parts that have been mentioned and try to start making some parts available soon.

Jim

Old 04-01-2008, 01:52 AM
Sounds good Jim. Do you think the eyelids are still an option? Just wondering. haha. Thanks for keeping us updated on everything thus far. I hope to be doing business with you soon

Old 04-01-2008, 01:54 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
patiently awaiting availability of roof cap

Old 04-01-2008, 03:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rogue Fit
I was gone all day, so sorry I wasn't able to keep up on things.
It looks like we have a number of great ideas and I will try to put togeter a list of specifics including a roof cap, fog lights, mirrors, some interior pieces, cannard wings, and a few others mensioned.
I do think a nice grill is in order and would like to see what others think would be most practicle. I looked at a few photos of J's Racing grill and it looks similar in design to the Mugen part. I have also looked at a exploded installation diagram of the sport grill so as to understand what comes off when you remove the stock part and basically what the new part includes.

I'm leaving the country for 4~6 months, on a central american expedition (road trip in an SUV) and was wondering if you would like to use my car till I get back?

The only thing I would like, and would most likely pay for is red carbon fiber parts =D

Old 04-01-2008, 08:29 AM
5 Year Member
I'm after the look of the OEM Sport grill, so if you can simply make an insert that would go over our existing grill and give it the Mugen RR look, I think that ll be perfect. That will be the cheapest option and the best result, on paper that is, it all depends on what the final product looks like.

The front H emblem isn't hard to take off, so it would be awesome for me personally that if you just take the H off, then make a mold, so when we install the grill, we just take the H off, mount the grill, then install the H back on top of the Grill. That will be hella awesome and clean.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:07 AM
5 Year Member
I would thing cannards would be really easily made and would but today if i knew they were available.

Wouldn't it just be a matter of taking a square of cf and heating it to where it can be bent to where there is a slight curve? Then it would be just a matter of getting it to match the curve in the bumper and folding a mounting lip.

I'm sure lots of work would have to go into it but seems like it'd be a lot easier than a grill insert

Old 04-01-2008, 12:29 PM
CuTeBio, I'd love to work something out, I could provide secure storage while you are away. Where are you going, about 10 years ago I took my family to Belize for a couple months in a '64 VW bus. Great memories.

Diedwater, I agree, what you mention would be the easiest and least expensive method to getting a nice looking carbon grill. I would like to pursue this if there is the interest.

SpokanejdmGD3, the canards shouldn't be too difficult, but a bit more involved than you mention. One of the difficulties in making parts that fit on both sides of the car is that they are symmetrical. To ensure this I will need to mock up the parts, probably out of aluminum or wood, then once I am confident it fits nicely and matches left to right, a mold of each part will be made so that the exact shape can be duplicated. I'm sure there are other ways to achieve this but this is how I prefer to do it.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:12 PM
The following is a nearly complete list of parts. I'm also working on a couple smaller items that will be added and I'm sure there will be some more suggestions that come in.
The order of the items does not reflect the order they will be introduced. Much of this depends on interest in the item and the availability of a part or car for me to make the molds of.
By starting off with a few smaller items more owners will have the chance to see the parts, photos and feedback.
Some interior parts will need to be overlaid, or covered in real carbon (I often prefer this to having a thin part that just stick on the existing piece), so the part will need to be sent in to have this done. I will try to make a few group buys available for this as well, but this can also be done in small quantities as I am working on molds and unique parts.

Thanks for all your help:
roof cap
grill (similar to sport grill)
mirror caps
rear wiper garnish w/ wiper
rear wiper garnish w/o wiper
fog light cover (for now looking at covers that will fit over existing housing)
shifter ring
rear view mirror cover
center console
canard wings
eyelids
gage pod cover
dash and door trim (much of this may need overlay)
front lip
splitter
rear wing
valve cover shield
a few under the hood items

I plan to get started on some of these within the week. If there is interest I can start an overlay GB next week. If we have 5 to 10 parts for overlay you figure most small parts can be done for $20.00 to $50.00 plus shipping.

Thanks again,

Jim

Old 04-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Forgot the most important one!!!

CARBON AIR SCOOP TO REPLACE THE SMALL BLACK PLASTIC PANEL ON THE DRIVERS SIDE ABOVE THE BRAKE FLUID RESEVOIRS (ABOVE THE HOOD).

also like Chris's idea for "The ring around the shifter would be cool in CF"

Old 04-02-2008, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by smatts
Forgot the most important one!!!

CARBON AIR SCOOP TO REPLACE THE SMALL BLACK PLASTIC PANEL ON THE DRIVERS SIDE ABOVE THE BRAKE FLUID RESEVOIRS (ABOVE THE HOOD).

also like Chris's idea for "The ring around the shifter would be cool in CF"
only if it's on the passenger side......KWSC.......

Can't wait to start seeing some parts, I guess it makes sense to start with something small and cheaper to test things out, like shifter ring and rev mirror cap should be pretty good starts.

Quick Reply: Lets get some custom carbon started