Gauge Interest in a Fit Product or Group Buy Use this sub-forum to gauge market interest in your Product or Group Buy.
If you decide to sell a Product or proceed with your Group Buy, create your listing in our Non-Fit Vendor Group Buys and Product Sales area.
If you decide to become a forum sponsor with "FIT Vendor" title, please Contact Us for details.

Ram Air Duct for GK5

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
Units are in! I will be reaching out to those on the priority list. Everyone else welcome to PM me until supplies last.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TougeMonster_GK5
Units are in! I will be reaching out to those on the priority list. Everyone else welcome to PM me until supplies last.
You have PM.

Thanks again.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
A easy mod, Plug and play.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
Kudos on the hard work getting this to fruition bro!

I'm still happy with mine and am looking forward to the warm weather so I can have the window down to hear the intake better!

Old 03-19-2018, 07:20 AM
5 Year Member
According to USPS tracking, mine is in town and shall be delivered today, so....shall be installed by this evening, if not earlier. Was off work last night, am off work tonight, so, just waiting on Mr/Ms Postperson

Old 03-19-2018, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
Alright....USPS has come and gone, duct is in my hands, shall install shortly. Thanks, Vince, prompt delivery and looks good to go. Maybe I'll "need" to make a grocery run tonight, or something, just to feel it out.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
Alright, piece is on the car, super easy install, have yet to testdrive...but it sounds a bit rowdier in the garage, at least 😁

Old 03-22-2018, 02:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Kudos on the hard work getting this to fruition bro!

I'm still happy with mine and am looking forward to the warm weather so I can have the window down to hear the intake better!
Thanks! It took some time to get this going and glad I can help out the community with some top quality parts!

Originally Posted by Fuelish
Alright, piece is on the car, super easy install, have yet to testdrive...but it sounds a bit rowdier in the garage, at least 😁
Hope you're having a blast with it sir!

Old 03-22-2018, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
For those that are in a region that get snow, something to keep an eye out for: Snow and Ram Air

Old 03-23-2018, 06:17 AM
5 Year Member
Hope you're having a blast with it sir!
I am, I am.....still getting a feel for what affect it may have had, but I tend to go along with what you and 2Rismo2 mentioned about mid-throttle response. Off the line, it feels the same, once underway, feels more free to rev...placebo effect? ...possibly, dunno...of course, I just dropped in a K&N filter last week, so, maybe they play well together? Dunno....but it sounds rowdier, feels livelier, am not in any position to say if there's a power increase or not, am leaning towards not. But I really like the piece, it seems very well made and fits absolutely perfectly, gotta love that. So far, I've replaced the shift knob with a milled aluminum billet knob wrapped in leather (allegedly leather, feels like Kia "leather" ), installed the Progress RSB, installed a Tanabe Medallion Touring axleback, PlastiDipped the stupid red plastic on the sides of the hatch, which served no purpose being red, in any way, and now the ramair duct. Only thing I want to do is get fatter rubber, BUT, my wife's car needs tires first. Bought this car CPO, and original owner had replaced the factory tires with Cooper CS3s, and they are wearing well - fatter tires will be down the road, so to speak, as I don't "need" 'em, just want 'em. But, yeah, I am enjoying it. Between the exhaust and now the duct, the car doesn't sound like a ticking sewing machine anymore Shall comment further with some more miles on it, still burning off the last of this tank of gas

Old 03-23-2018, 04:13 PM
TougeMonster_GK5 - You've got mail.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:18 AM
I just finished installing the Sumole Air Cooler Ram Air Duct. Installation took less than 5 minutes to complete and looks very OEM. If it were not for the Sumole marking on the duct, I'm pretty sure it would be impossible for anyone to even notice it.

Rather than removing the rubber-foam lid gasket on the hood, I traced the outline of the air duct with a Sharpie while the hood was closed and trimmed the correct amount of material off. I try to keep my engine compartment clean, so sealing off the opening left behind by the duct was important to me.

I will report back tomorrow with my findings related to throttle response, perceived power gains, and engine sound.

Thanks for handling this group buy, Vince! The product appears to be very promising and I doubt I will be met with disappointment.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:47 PM
This morning's commute was 21 miles of mixed stop and go driving on side streets and the freeway. The temperature outside was 70° at the beginning and end of my drive. I have a solid understanding of my car's performance as it has not been further modified in any way for the past few months.

Off the line, I did not notice anything different with regard to throttle response, power gain/loss, or engine noise. Once the car began moving past the 35MPH mark, I began to feel the change in throttle response. I can only describe it as an immediate feeling upon stabbing the gas pedal. 3rd and 4th gear pulls felt good and felt even better as the speed gradually increased. I was able to sustain a driving speed of 90MPH on the freeway for a few moments and mashing the accelerator in 5th gear felt great.

Not once did I notice a change in engine noise - driving with all windows closed, only the moonroof open, only the windows open, both moonroof and windows open. I'm running an HKS Silent Hi-Power exhaust, so the volume from that is pretty loud and could be masking any change in sound caused by the intake duct. Several months ago, I was running an AEM intake and could appreciate the improved sound from my engine bay even with my exhaust being so loud. That isn't the case this time around.

As mentioned above, I ran an AEM intake a few months ago. As much as I liked the sound, my car actually felt a little bit "slower." Whatever power I felt I lost with the AEM intake was immediately restored when I re-installed the factory air box with a K&N filter element. With the Sumole Air Cooler Ram Air Duct installed, I don't have the cool sound effects that the AEM intake produced, but I do feel an appreciable performance gain as a result of it being installed. I know our butts are not capable of accurately measuring power increases, but we all know improvements in throttle response when we feel it - and we all know when we "feel" a bump in power output.

This is a great mod that anyone can appreciate once the car gets up to speed. Installation is a 5-minute process and looks very OEM. $175 is $175, no matter how you look at it. You can use it to purchase a pretty-looking intake that makes cool sounds, or you can use it for something like the Sumole Air Cooler Ram Air Duct that actually provides a noticeable improvement in performance.

Old 03-29-2018, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bosho.777
This morning's commute was 21 miles of mixed stop and go driving on side streets and the freeway. The temperature outside was 70° at the beginning and end of my drive. I have a solid understanding of my car's performance as it has not been further modified in any way for the past few months.

Off the line, I did not notice anything different with regard to throttle response, power gain/loss, or engine noise. Once the car began moving past the 35MPH mark, I began to feel the change in throttle response. I can only describe it as an immediate feeling upon stabbing the gas pedal. 3rd and 4th gear pulls felt good and felt even better as the speed gradually increased. I was able to sustain a driving speed of 90MPH on the freeway for a few moments and mashing the accelerator in 5th gear felt great.

Not once did I notice a change in engine noise - driving with all windows closed, only the moonroof open, only the windows open, both moonroof and windows open. I'm running an HKS Silent Hi-Power exhaust, so the volume from that is pretty loud and could be masking any change in sound caused by the intake duct. Several months ago, I was running an AEM intake and could appreciate the improved sound from my engine bay even with my exhaust being so loud. That isn't the case this time around.

As mentioned above, I ran an AEM intake a few months ago. As much as I liked the sound, my car actually felt a little bit "slower." Whatever power I felt I lost with the AEM intake was immediately restored when I re-installed the factory air box with a K&N filter element. With the Sumole Air Cooler Ram Air Duct installed, I don't have the cool sound effects that the AEM intake produced, but I do feel an appreciable performance gain as a result of it being installed. I know our butts are not capable of accurately measuring power increases, but we all know improvements in throttle response when we feel it - and we all know when we "feel" a bump in power output.

This is a great mod that anyone can appreciate once the car gets up to speed. Installation is a 5-minute process and looks very OEM. $175 is $175, no matter how you look at it. You can use it to purchase a pretty-looking intake that makes cool sounds, or you can use it for something like the Sumole Air Cooler Ram Air Duct that actually provides a noticeable improvement in performance.
bosho.777 - That pretty sums up my experience with performance and I'm running the HKS but with CVT. From a standstill, there is really no difference but at speed there is a better throttle response. It just seems to want to "pull" more.

You're last paragraph is exactly why I went with the ram air intake versus the pretty AEM and HPS intakes available. To me it didn't make sense sucking in hot air near the firewall like those other intakes.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
bosho.777 - That pretty sums up my experience with performance and I'm running the HKS but with CVT. From a standstill, there is really no difference but at speed there is a better throttle response. It just seems to want to "pull" more.

You're last paragraph is exactly why I went with the ram air intake versus the pretty AEM and HPS intakes available. To me it didn't make sense sucking in hot air near the firewall like those other intakes.
I believe the reason why AEM and HPS have positive results on the dyno with their short intake is because: 1) the Fit that they are using for testing has the hood propped open and 2) they have a large fan in front of the car while dyno'ing, which allows cooler ambient air to enter the intake as opposed to the trapped hot air that we get in real-world driving.

I believe there are gains to be realized with the actual cold air intake from HPS. I know it doesn't rain much in Southern California, and it's rare that I come across a section of road that's flooded when it does rain. But I just didn't want to deal with the hassle of converting the CAI to a short ram on the few occasions that I am faced with that scenario.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
I've been waiting a bit to chime in on this piece...was burning off my last tank of gas and wanna see how the ram air duct may or may not affect mpg. Since I'm coming from the stock piece, it sounds a lil rowdier, but, also dropped in K&N filter around the same time, so, dunno...engine seems to sound more like an engine, less like a sewing machine...new duct?...new filter?...placebo effect? Dunno...and I agree with the statements that it feels the same off the line, but certainly feels more free to rev once underway and throttle response does seems improved. Yeah, it's pricey, for what it is, but, if I had to do it again, would I? Yup...it appears to be very well made and fitment is perfect. Have yet to decide whether to trim the rubber flap to fit or just leave it off as is...am waiting on a few pushpins to replace a few I damaged or lost (I hate those things, my clumsy thick fingers seem to drop 'em in the engine bay)
. Needless to say, I really like it. My wife's Kia Forte SX came stock with a similar piece, had been considering cutting the top front outta the stock Fit piece....this solved the problem nicely. Thanks again to Touge for this. <edited to include "Oh yeah, I have a Tanabe Medallion Touring axleback as well, so dunno how much I'd notice engine sound, but, it sounds rowdier in the garage, anyway">

Last edited by Fuelish; 03-29-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
I've been waiting a bit to chime in on this piece...was burning off my last tank of gas and wanna see how the ram air duct may or may not affect mpg. Since I'm coming from the stock piece, it sounds a lil rowdier, but, also dropped in K&N filter around the same time, so, dunno...engine seems to sound more like an engine, less like a sewing machine...new duct?...new filter?...placebo effect? Dunno...and I agree with the statements that it feels the same off the line, but certainly feels more free to rev once underway and throttle response does seems improved. Yeah, it's pricey, for what it is, but, if I had to do it again, would I? Yup...it appears to be very well made and fitment is perfect. Have yet to decide whether to trim the rubber flap to fit or just leave it off as is...am waiting on a few pushpins to replace a few I damaged or lost (I hate those things, my clumsy thick fingers seem to drop 'em in the engine bay)
. Needless to say, I really like it. My wife's Kia Forte SX came stock with a similar piece, had been considering cutting the top front outta the stock Fit piece....this solved the problem nicely. Thanks again to Touge for this. <edited to include "Oh yeah, I have a Tanabe Medallion Touring axleback as well, so dunno how much I'd notice engine sound, but, it sounds rowdier in the garage, anyway">
Hey Guys!

Thanks again for all your kind feedback and very glad the part is working well for you! Sorry for the delayed response, I've been in the middle of changing jobs, and was on a vacation before starting my new gig. I still have yet to dyno my car with all the mods I have so far, and still on the fence about KTuner. With Axion completing the swaps for the GK chassis, I've been reluctant to do anymore power mods, since I know the end goal is either L15B7 or K20C (Honda accord) swap.. decisions, decisions...

Old 04-18-2018, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
My girlfriend would kill me if I spent $175 on it but I want it so bad

Old 04-18-2018, 06:35 PM
She doesn't have to know, unless it's her money or car.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kingjerry14
My girlfriend would kill me if I spent $175 on it but I want it so bad
pluss!!! It looks OEM, she may never even notice!! Lol

Quick Reply: Ram Air Duct for GK5