General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Scan gauge schooling

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
2nd
It's true when you see a light and want to slide in with least fuel (with eng on) coasting in neutral is 0.25gph no A/C and .4 w A/C. Lift off the gas in 5th gear and it's 0 gph till you stop. real time MPG calc goes to 9999
If you are coasting in 5th gear, and it drops to 4th or 3rd automatically, is GPH still 0? if you manually downshift so RPMs go up, does MPG or GPH change? Does MPG or GPH change drastically when VTEC kicks in? Thanks!

Old 03-05-2008, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
I didn't think the auto Fits did a fuel cut...

Old 03-05-2008, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
No idea about and Automatic in a Fit as far as the coasting in. Find someone with a Scanner that can take a reading.

OK I'm now at 1100 miles and still learning. As was mentioned the combination of coasting in neutral and in 5th works best. If you are at a good speed and and have the time/distance you will coast way longer than on 5th gear. I guess I'd say if it certain you will need brakes, use the eng in 5th to slow the car all other times and at a good speed (like exiting an expressway) your better off just tossing her in neutral and coasting.

I did some testing with the windows open today and was not able to see any MPG change at 65mph. I do have the Mugen visors. I also turned on the AC and the MPG dropped by 5 and stayed off by 5 for at least 3 or 4 min. Than started easing back up. I did not have time to do too much. As the heat starts down here, I'll be able to report actual effects on AC and mpg in a month or so.

My opinion just now on windows down being worse the AC is it's BS for a FIT

Old 03-06-2008, 04:41 PM
So I just wanted to post what I did recently...

-I did not coast in neutral for this last half tank I only coasted in 5th when and if I needed to or wanted to coast.

-I only drove for mpg sakes only 3/4 of the time, and even hauled @$$ quite a few times.

- I did not skip shift at all !

-I did the same exact drives as I have done before.

My result was 35.5 MPG 100% (socal LA) City!!!

So I think its safe to say that coasting in 5th is very worth it. Its not necessarily definitive, but I am very convinced

Remember my best tank with coasting in neutral and skip shifting and trying my darndest to drive for 100% mpg sakes I was able to get thus far 36.5 MPG.

In this current tank I am just getting the car used to hauling @$$ as I have not really done that yet but it looks like I am going to get pooo for
MPG.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
Snap... Good job.

Glad that worked out. I'm pretty sure in city driving when coasting for a good distance is not very good, doing the 5th gear coast is best because it shuts off the fuel.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Originally Posted by RichXKU
I didn't think the auto Fits did a fuel cut...
Damn that sucks. One day soon, I'll have money for a ScanGauge and check it out for myself. Anyway, my current tank looks promising.... I'm at 210 miles and still have a good quarter tank left. I'm hoping to get to at least 250 miles on this tank. (Yeah, I know, you're all at half a tank at 250 miles. Well my mileage has been between 21 and 29 (once) mpg the entire year I've had it, but its been a fun year, even if I didn't save as much in gas as I thought i would!)

Old 03-06-2008, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
At highway speeds, assuming there is no traffic or lights, you want to preserve as much momentum as possible. Coasting in 5th scrubs off momentum through engine braking, which is a big no-no in the game of MPG. If you are watching things WAY up ahead and see traffic slowing down - that is when I would let off the gas in gear.
On your cleanmpg.com banner, you might want to change the EPA MPG estimations. It's at 28 city and 33/34 highway. So you're getting over 125% FE that the EPA measured o.O

< /jackthread>

Old 03-07-2008, 06:56 AM
5 Year Member
Here's the biggest eco tip I can give anyone.

Drive like you do not have brakes or if you use them it's an issue.
think about it some

Last edited by pcs0snq; 03-07-2008 at 07:35 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-07-2008, 07:16 AM
Here's the biggest eco tip and can give anyone.

Drive like you do not have brakes or if you use them it's an issue.
think about it some
Interesting advice... I will have to try that when i get back to my car. Only 1 month left. haha.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:38 AM
5 Year Member
cojaro, Was wonder if this Mario is trying to row Fit gears here and dealing with the TBW lol

Old 03-07-2008, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
cojaro, Was wonder if this Mario is trying to row Fit gears here and dealing with the TBW lol
Mario only needs first gear. It doesn't matter if he is grinding. lol

Old 03-14-2008, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
I'm going to say if you are on the freeway and not 1sec drafting, you are leaving at least 5 mpg on the table.

Looking at my scan gauge on a trip home today that was 246 miles after the fill it says 44.4mpg with avg speed 59. It would of been closer to 65mph avg but got into some rush hr traffic in Palm Beach County. Was going 65 to 70 with 1 sec drafting on 90% of the run.

I'm right at 1/2 tank now with 250 on the odometer.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cojaro
On your cleanmpg.com banner, you might want to change the EPA MPG estimations. It's at 28 city and 33/34 highway. So you're getting over 125% FE that the EPA measured o.O

< /jackthread>
This actually came up over there on cleanmpg. They suggest going with the window sticker rather than the adjusted EPA for '07 and older cars. The '08 guys get off easy

Old 03-19-2008, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
Here's some more help
With the SG you have to zero the tank when you fill up. This is needed to make the trip functions work so you can see miles gal left etc etc...At that time you can adjust the GAL's used on that tank to match the pump with a easy button press. Mine is almost dead on using my method of filling. You also enter the cost per gal and that feeds the Cost Per Mile (CPM) gauge as well as many other trip $$$ functions.

I mention some of that because we saw the 57mpg scan gauge report this week and I want you to know mine is almost dead nuts out of the box.

I also noticed this week that by down shifting, not just coasting in in 5th or neutral to a stop, the Fit ECU will do a better job of sending ZERO fuel into the engine. 5th only works to about 30mph.

I think I mentioned that freeway drafting is the biggest thing you can do to improve the eco when on the freeway at speeds 965 to 70). For me with a liberal 1+ sec back drafting, it's easy good for 5mpg AVG over just running down the road normal.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:43 PM
5 Year Member
Great info as always Paul. What I'm wondering now is whether 65-70 with a draft is better or worse than 50-55 with no draft.

I know the obvious answer is "shut up and buy your own scangauge" but if you happen to know...

Old 03-20-2008, 04:22 AM
hey pcs0snq I am lost now having seen your postings of findings and help in so many threads that I dont remember or can find if we covered this yet or not-

I know about letting off in 5th to achieve fuel cut off. But does it work the same for all the gears until you get to like 1100 rpm when it kicks back on. I would like to coast more in lower gears rather than neutral (if 5th is not an option) for some things if it saves gas.

I could just be having a senior moment and forgot if we already covered this...if so sorry

Last edited by Snap Fit; 03-20-2008 at 04:25 AM. Reason: just needed a touch of blue...
Old 03-20-2008, 04:31 AM

I also noticed this week that by down shifting, not just coasting in in 5th or neutral to a stop, the Fit ECU will do a better job of sending ZERO fuel into the engine. 5th only works to about 30mph.
ooops!!!!! I just noticed this ^^^post...hmmm what timing I have

so now to overindulge....care to elaborate more on this?
Should I jump down to 4th and ride out 30mph down? And if so does that mean that all the gears would do this cutoff above a certain threshold?
Something slightly higher than idle would be the threshold I suppose, unless it changes for each gear.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:15 AM
5 Year Member
Snap The change is....... if you know you'll need to get on the breaks, I found it's better to use the gears down to 2nd. I think the difference is all about deceleration rate needed. The other stuff is still gold this is just an added method, but a tad more work.
If you have a long way to go..... coast
If it's med and at speed use 5th
If it kind of short, start down shifting

The goal is not to use the breaks till the very end.

The shifting keep the injectors off and idling does not, but over a long distance, coasting is better. For example exit a freeway. I have my mark at the one I use and can coast almost to the toll gate close to + 1/4 mile and that is better that 5th as you'll have to get back on the gas after 1/8 mile or less.

hope that helps

Old 03-20-2008, 05:18 AM
5 Year Member
What I'm wondering now is whether 65-70 with a draft is better or worse than 50-55 with no draft.
Rich, I'm sure 50 is better than drafting at 70, but would say drafting at 65 is better than 55.

I'm talking drafting a LARGE box truck not anything smaller.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
My last tank was again respectable: 32.88mpg.

I got a trip to Nashville coming up so I'm going to try to squeeze as much mpg as possible while staying safe (very minimal drafting). Maybe I'll be able to join the 40+mpg club!

If I did more highway trips, then I'd seriously consider getting a SG2. But my college budget doesn't allow for it :-(

Last edited by cojaro; 03-20-2008 at 01:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Scan gauge schooling