General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Scan gauge schooling

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:48 PM
I use software to track my mileage on a PDA, so I have a good record of my economy history. The only variables there will be pump/volume variations.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ricohman
Can the Scangauge be set to read in Imperial gallons or litres?
U.S gallons are smaller than Imperial and it kind of confuses me.
@Ricoh It does let you change units over to metric in setup screen. I think litres for sure but not imperial. You can also toggle farenheit to celcius.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by dyussen
@Ricoh It does let you change units over to metric in setup screen. I think litres for sure but not imperial. You can also toggle farenheit to celcius.

Thanks.
Canadians! Can you run your Scangauge on Imperial units!
I just want to know before I plunk down my $170.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member
Anyone else notice the SG does not record mile when gliding when pulse and gliding? Keys on a ECU is up just SG does not record miles making the calculated MPG for tank off.

Seems like a BUG to me.

That's from a wheel or tranny sensor and should give a crap if the eng is off or not.

Also saw the rogue MAX mph deal today in the today trip.
Said I went 158mph.
I called SG on this a moth ago and they blamed it on the speed sensor and said the proof is in what the MAX RPM is. My max in the same trip area was 3358rpms.

Anyone else really using these and see this stuff?

Old 05-21-2008, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
I'm pretty sure mine does, as my standard trip back home always amounts to about the same distance when checking the "Current trip distance"

Old 05-21-2008, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
Can you set the gauge to read miles and watch it as you coast if you have a chance?

Old 05-21-2008, 09:03 PM
I think if you're cutting the engine off, the SG will cut off. My SG turns off in every other condition than the engine is running. It won't come on in the RUN position if the engine is not running.

Maybe that's what you're seeing? It's actually shutting itself off, so it's then not recording the distance traveled.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member
I think you are right. I do not do it often, but will look closer.
thanks

Old 05-22-2008, 06:43 PM
5 Year Member
I decided to check a few things and just transferred my hand notes to a spreadsheet

The SG variability to actual seemed to be great till I figured the gas fill was the issue. About 4 tanks ago I started pumping at med speed till auto shut off. I then count to 5 (for the gas foam to settle) than pump 1 more time on med.

I'm taking better records now so that why it was less complete before

See what you think of this

Old 05-22-2008, 08:37 PM
Paul,

I think you are pumping too much gas and wasting the fuel. You should just stop at the first click. Gas evaporates quickly and you are sending lots of vapors and possibly gas to your charcoal canister. This would explain why I pump less fuel than you do and get better mpg. I am also spending less money on gas since I stop at the first auto shut off. I noticed that some of your fills were 10 gallons or more. If you think about it that doesn't make since, unless you were riding on E for a while or trying to get every last drop out of the tank. The gas tank is only 10.8 gallons and the reserve is 1.7 gallons which should be about what is left when the gas light comes on.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:37 AM
5 Year Member
Look closer Shawn, at the data.
You clearly over looked some details

10.8 tank 10.3 max ever

0n the 10.1 fill E light at 402 and filled at 433
on the 10.3 fill E light at 396 and filled at 433

How is that over filling?

It's a 10.8 gal tank

BTW Lots of 12gal fillers on here ready for that info. I know 'cause I tried to help them.

Last edited by pcs0snq; 05-23-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:28 AM
You are correct sir, I failed to look closer at the data as my son would say, "DUH!"

Old 05-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by pcs0snq

0n the 10.1 fill E light at 402 and filled at 433
on the 10.3 fill E light at 396 and filled at 433
That seems odd, man. I know in my Fit, when the gas light comes on, I can put about 8.7 gallons in before the pump stops.

If your E light came on at 402, then you put 10.3 gallons in just 31 miles later, you burned about 1.4 gallons over that 31 miles, which is 22mpg.

Unless your Fit's gas light doesn't come on until the tank is like 9.5 gallons down, something is off. Have you ever immediately put gas in when the light come on? How much?

Old 05-23-2008, 11:42 AM
Thank you Fray. Paul, that is my point. I think you are wasting fuel and $ by pumping too much gas. You should stop at the first auto shut off or first click of the pump.

However, I would assume that the gas light can come on prematurely or even a little late depending on the type of driving style and/or terrain one has.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fray Adjacent
That seems odd, man. I know in my Fit, when the gas light comes on, I can put about 8.7 gallons in before the pump stops.

If your E light came on at 402, then you put 10.3 gallons in just 31 miles later, you burned about 1.4 gallons over that 31 miles, which is 22mpg.

Unless your Fit's gas light doesn't come on until the tank is like 9.5 gallons down, something is off. Have you ever immediately put gas in when the light come on? How much?
Something is wrong with your math for sure or you forgot about the reserve????

The reserve is the gas in the tank AFTER the E light comes on.
10.8 is the tank total all fuel less filler neck including the reserve.

I do not have my owner manual here, but 10.8 is including the 1.7 reserve??
That is, expect the E light to be on at 10.8 - 1.7 or 9.1 gal US.

Also if you pump at HIGH speed flow, it will shut off before being full.

Look at my last fill that was just after the E might came on. looks at the gals used to reach the E might. That's correct and repeatable
See it???

I've looked at that and talked about it a number of time in the MT MPG thread.

Last edited by pcs0snq; 05-23-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:31 PM
The fuel tank size as stated by a manufacturer usually does not include the reserve. Often times you'll see the capacity listed as XX.X gallons with x.x reserve) So when your fuel light comes on, your tank is not 'empty' and running on that reserve. The light is to warn the driver that you're close to empty and should refuel soon.

I'll have to check my owner's manual, but I'm pretty sure that's the way it is in just about every vehicle I've ever owned.

IIRC, I've also heard that the fuel light (in most cars) is designed to come on when you have about 50 miles range left... before the reserve is invaded.

To really tell, one of us would have to drive until the engine quits and then measure the amount of gas goes in until the pump stops the first time... but neither of us will risk damaging anything, so that test won't get done!

Bottom line is, unless your fuel light is coming on at a different capacity than mine, you're overfilling. It IS quite possible that your light comes on at 9.1 gallons, whereas mine comes on at 8.7.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member

Bottom line is, unless your fuel light is coming on at a different capacity than mine, you're overfilling.
I clearly wrote when it comes on above. It's Dependant on mpg of that tank.

Look at the table.

I think I have described how the tank works no no less than 4 times now. For those that think they can get more than 1.7 gal worth of driving after the E light comes on and the tank is really 10.8 + 1.7 or 12.5gal run the car till it stops and tell us what you find.

None of this will effect the MPG of my car. If you think it does you are lost on how the thing works.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
I clearly wrote when it comes on above. It's Dependant on mpg of that tank.

Look at the table.

I think I have described how the tank works no no less than 4 times now. For those that think they can get more than 1.7 gal worth of driving after the E light comes on and the tank is really 10.8 + 1.7 or 12.5gal run the car till it stops and tell us what you find.

None of this will effect the MPG of my car. If you think it does you are lost on how the thing works.
Never once did I allude to such ignorance.

I just thought was weird that there was 30 miles between your E light and 10+ gallons of gas to fill. I've gone 40ish miles past my E light and put in less than 10. I think my largest fillup was 9.9x gallons.

Must be that your car's fuel light comes on at a lower level than mine.

Maybe it IS tied to range? Your efficiency is a bit higher than mine. Maybe it's calculating when you have only so much range based on your fuel economy?

Old 05-23-2008, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
Must be that your car's fuel light comes on at a lower level than mine.
Mine comes on when the fuel gauge pointer is just touching the top of the "E" letter. Every time. What about yours????? Shawn's, Rich's anyones???

Not sure if it repeats, but my records when I fill at or close to when the Light comes on and I'm in the Start of the 1.7 reserve, it takes 9.5 gals to fill up
By the book it should be 9.1 That's close enough for me.

One thing is clear. my 1/2 mark is more fuel used that Shawn. 270 miles to 1/2 yielded 48mpg not 55+

Old 05-25-2008, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
This has come up before with mixed answers. I did some testing today looking at the current MPG and coasting with ign on position II . What I saw was it does not update the SG data at all.

This was a short current avg just a quick trip to the store and with eng on coasting or in gear coasting it shows updates. For some reason the SG knows the eng is off and refuses to give you credit for the free miles.

I think that's the reason I and maybe some of you have seen the SG tank MPG lower than the actual when doing lots of coasting and the FAS move.

hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Scan gauge schooling