General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Scan gauge schooling

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 01:08 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Originally Posted by RichXKU
I didn't think the auto Fits did a fuel cut...
My wife just gave me a scangauge for an early christmas present (after wanting one for three years!), at it reports 0.00 gph when coasting. Haven't consciously noticed if it stays at 0 when it downshifts, but I believe it does.

Last edited by LizardKing; 12-20-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LizardKing
My wife just gave me a scangauge for an early christmas present (after wanting one for three years!), at it reports 0.00 gph when coasting. Haven't consciously noticed if it stays at 0 when it downshifts, but I believe it does.
Congrats on the scan gauge, You will find that its a good tool but the mpg is not always accurate. It does help and is worth it and I am glad I bought one.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
0.00 gallons per hour while coasting is accurate for our cars. While coasting in gear, whether you have an automatic or a manual transmission, the computer shuts off the fuel injectors, which saves fuel. You can make use of this feature to increase your gas mileage. In the owner's manual, it's called Deceleration Fuel Cut-Off (DFCO).

Old 12-21-2010, 02:00 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
picked up sg2 finally at amazon, 130 shipped. Dunno if the deal is still good... handy lil tool since the fit has no temp gauge. I pretty much always run voltage, water temp, current and avg mpg. Has already cut out some jackrabbit driving, more continual momentum driving. With the paddles, its easy to tweak momentum. Love having temp, voltage in my cars. Less worried about mileage, but it is nice to see what stuff is killing it and what helps it. Little changes make a big difference...

Old 12-24-2010, 12:12 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Scratch&Dent
0.00 gallons per hour while coasting is accurate for our cars. While coasting in gear, whether you have an automatic or a manual transmission, the computer shuts off the fuel injectors, which saves fuel. You can make use of this feature to increase your gas mileage. In the owner's manual, it's called Deceleration Fuel Cut-Off (DFCO).
Absolutely right, quoted for emphasis. All we Fit folk have to do to break the laws of physics and get UNLIMITED GAS MILEAGE is never touch the gas pedal.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:55 AM
5 Year Member
I've also found that you can adjust the fuel cutoff point downward to a degree with the settings on the ScanGauge without affecting driveability. This way when you lift off the gas pedal, the injection system goes into that fuel saving cutoff sooner and stays longer as you coast up to a red light.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:21 AM
Question Help me learn...

Originally Posted by BilgeRat
I've also found that you can adjust the fuel cutoff point downward to a degree with the settings on the ScanGauge without affecting driveability. This way when you lift off the gas pedal, the injection system goes into that fuel saving cutoff sooner and stays longer as you coast up to a red light.
I'm not familiar w/ the SG but have just received an UltraGauge which I'm really liking. It will display 18 out of 50 possible gauges on three separate pages of six gauges each.

I've been trying to understand what parameters are most informative to monitor. Any suggestions would be helpful.
I'm also curious to understand the 'adjustable' part quoted above.
Can the SG actually get inside the ECU?? That's wild.

I did just pull this out of my 2010 Factory Service Manual. I'm seeing that I should be watching the G/hr fuel flow to really see this happening.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/eco-...f-control.html

I'm also curious to understand how to calibrate these to provide accurate economy read-out. What goes into calibrating the SG?

thanks

Old 01-29-2011, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
The ScanGauge DFCO adjustment factor he was talking about does not actually get inside the ECU. It's an adjustment so that the gauge knows at what RPM the DFCO engages/disengages, or something like that.

Calibration for the SG II consists of inputting the tank size and engine size. Once you fill up, you tell the SG you've filled up, and it starts guessing your fuel economy. Then, when you fill up again, you tell the SG, and you tell it how much fuel you used to fill up and the price you paid per gallon. For maximum accuracy, the manual recommends you fill up to exactly the same level (first click), at the same pump in the same station, every time.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Thanks - that's pretty much the same as the UG. One thing it adds is calibrating the distance. This is nice if you're off stock wheels/tires. I did check mine and it's dead on. I'm presently setting up the tank fill-up. Even though the UG identifies the fuel gauge sensor on the Fit it still suggests calibrating he fill-up.

The other parameter is the Fuel Cut Off. I can monitor both instant and average fuel consumption in G/hr. It does not zero out during an in-gear - off accelerator - down hill coast. There is a separate 'Fuel Cut Off' menu adjustment that seems to trick the MPG calculator into considering the fuel savings. It makes me wonder how it calculates the fuel consumption rate???

How does that stack-up against the SG?

Old 01-29-2011, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
Mine doesn't cut off fuel during engine warmup at RPM lower than about 2000. Other than that, I haven't had an issue where the SG wouldn't register the cutoff. It worked out of the box for me. Maybe there is a 'hybrid' mode for the UG.

By the way, if the a/c compressor is running, that will affect when the cutoff engages/disengages as well. This is especially evident on AT Fits.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
Here's the relevant section from the SG manual:

MORE>SETUP>FUEL>CUTOFF
Some vehicles will turn the fuel injectors off when coasting. This will
cause the fuel economy to go to 9999 MPG or 0.00 GPH. This shows
when you are not using any fuel while coasting. This is sensed through the open/closed loop indicator and the throttle position. To tell if the
throttle is closed, the throttle position is checked against the CUTOFF
value. CUTOFF is the value the throttle has to be below in order to
indicate a fuel cutoff and show 0 fuel flow.
< 24 >
Cutoff SAVE>
The default is right for most vehicles, but it can be adjusted by pressing
the upper left or right button. The setting is not critical, but is best if
about 4 above the no-throttle TPS value. If set to "0" it disables this
method of fuel cutoff sensing.

I may well be wrong (always a possibility!), but based on this, I'd say that the SG setting is adjusting the point that the injectors shut off. Might be worth an email to the SG folks; they've been very good about answering other questions I've had.
Tom

Old 01-29-2011, 09:00 PM
Bilge That's similar to what the SG has for a Fuel Cutoff set-up. On the UG the value to use is 7X the engine size in liters. They also say the value isn't critical.

So does the SG show actual fuel use numbers G/hr or do you simply see the MPG display peg a the 9's?

The UG will do the MPG thing if Fuel Cutoff is enabled, but the actual fuel use number [G/hr] never hits zero.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:03 PM
As far as the SG telling the ECU things, I'm not so sure on that.
With OBII coming on board following the 96 vehicle release I believe the fedral law prohibited user access to the ECU. Now that's not saying these things don't do it... not likely, however.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
I had to reset the SG for the first time in 9 months since I got this car. You have to setup the SG with engine size, fuel cut off which is +4 over the TPS. Gas tank size which does not do decimals, so 10.8 would be rounded out to 11. Then there is speed which is off a .5 mph so its not accurate. When you fill up it corrects it but still not 100 percent. Its a good tool but not always accurate and usually a few mpg off. It does help get better mpg and shows what the car is doing but because it doesn't do decimals it off a little in its math. It has paid for it self already and I recommend it for everyone. Ultra gauge seems similar and one my wish list after the van brakes are fixed.

Last edited by SilverBullet; 01-29-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:38 PM
I'm still setting the UG up and trying to understand what it do how. I'm needing to calibrate the fuel tank so the MPG's will be in line with reality. It seems to get the instant right but the average is way high.

I chose the UG for its price and size. It does display a choice of 18 out of a total of 50 gauges for the Fit.
Beyond the basic econo/trip functions it will show:
% engine load - Coolant temp - Short Term Fuel Trim Bank1 - Long Term Fuel Trim Bank1 - Intake Man Pressure
Intake Air Temp - MAF Sensor1 - MAF Sensor2 - EGR Flow% - EGR Flow % Error - Evaporative Purge %
O2 Sensor1 Bank1 vlt - Cat Converter Bank1 Sensor1 temp - Timing Advance - Throttle position Absolute
Throttle Position Relative - Accelerator Pedal Position - Baro Pressure - Avg Fuel Gal/hr - Instant Fuel Gal/hr
Fuel Level gal remain

There's 29 more.... I'm trying to figure which ones to monitor. Those that might make sense to watch. It is turning into a pretty neat toy I must say.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
I'm still setting the UG up and trying to understand what it do how. I'm needing to calibrate the fuel tank so the MPG's will be in line with reality. It seems to get the instant right but the average is way high.

I chose the UG for its price and size. It does display a choice of 18 out of a total of 50 gauges for the Fit.
Beyond the basic econo/trip functions it will show:
% engine load - Coolant temp - Short Term Fuel Trim Bank1 - Long Term Fuel Trim Bank1 - Intake Man Pressure
Intake Air Temp - MAF Sensor1 - MAF Sensor2 - EGR Flow% - EGR Flow % Error - Evaporative Purge %
O2 Sensor1 Bank1 vlt - Cat Converter Bank1 Sensor1 temp - Timing Advance - Throttle position Absolute
Throttle Position Relative - Accelerator Pedal Position - Baro Pressure - Avg Fuel Gal/hr - Instant Fuel Gal/hr
Fuel Level gal remain

There's 29 more.... I'm trying to figure which ones to monitor. Those that might make sense to watch. It is turning into a pretty neat toy I must say.
Yes it needs to be calibrated, I dont know how to help you with the UG, but hoping you have it figured out by time I get mine.

I am hoping its more accurate that the SG. I like the SG but the UG seems to do more.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:03 PM
Hey - might just need to start a new thread on that note. Don't worry I've got you covered ;-)

Calibration is simply telling it the engine size, fuel tank size and then give it a fill up number in gallons over a distance [it knows the distance, all you need to do is tell it the actual #gal put in tank] It does recognize the Fit's fuel level sensor you just need to tune in the number a bit better. Only other thing is the fuel cut off.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
Didn't know about the "access denied" thing, but it's not too surprising. I had purchased my ScanGauge because it gave me a way to monitor four "gauges" without an involved install of mechanical or electrical gauges, but it's changed the way I drive and it's certainly paid for itself in saved fuel.

I have the gauge portion of mine set up to show GPH, average MPG, coolant temp and system volts. Once in a while, I'll play with others (Instant Horse Power is interesting), but most of the time it's on the usual four. Good luck with the UG: I'll have to look that up.
Tom

Yes, GPH goes to zeros when you're coasting.

** Looked it up; what a bargain! Also really like the alarm options.

Last edited by BilgeRat; 01-29-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:46 PM
oil pressure

I know it's available for other vehicles but has anyone ever found a way to monitor oil pressure on the fit with the scanguage? It's one of those "old school" things I used to (would STILL) like to monitor. I like the SG but once I got it I wished for more monitoring options.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
I did email them with that question and they said that the Fit's ECU does not monitor oil pressure, so the SG can't display it. Other engines do monitor oil pressure: the John Deere 8.1l generators we have at work monitor oil pressure (among other things, like engine hours and total fuel burned) and display it on a Murphy Powerview PV 101- http://www.fwmurphy.co.uk/images/pow...939_medres.jpg

I'm with ya on the oil pressure, that would be great.

Last edited by BilgeRat; 01-29-2011 at 11:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Scan gauge schooling