General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Scan gauge schooling

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 07:04 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
I gave up trying to get accurate trip mileages from the SG. Better to set it, forget it, and use the numbers as relative values.

Truth be told, all I use my SG for these days is intake air temp and clearing the occasional code on my STi. I should probably sell it and use the money to get something truly useful to me.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pb and h
You are correct to some extent but I guess I didn't ask the right questions. Take into consideration the SGII readings vs. the odometer readings. Lets take a closer look:

- My last 2 fills have not been adjusted( SGII has not been messed with)
- Notice the miles driven are off by 1.0% and -0.1%(SGII compared to the odemeter, that is) respectively.
- The 1/7/09 date has the mpg dead on but the mileage and gallons used are off.
- The 1/13/09 date has less variation in the mileage
- The 1/13/09 has increased variation in the gallons

I think we have concluded that the gallons used is subjective due to pump and fill errors but not the mileage. The SGII doesn't seem to be consistant with mileage therefore one will never get an accurate representation of the info, precise(referring to mpg) only by chance as my data shows(1/7/09). I am about ready to sell the damn thing Hell, I didn't need one before and now that I have it, it is irritating me more that helping me.
set your speed to be correct then you will get correct milage. mine has been spot on once i set the speed.

Last edited by Syco54645; 01-13-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member
Shawn,
My miles are always within 1.5% error except when I did FAS using the KEY. I suspect you new tires may be the issue. Just adjust the miles. An independent tweak of fuel for sure!

As far as gal's and how you drive. Remember my findings. small to no error with normal driving 13% correction needed with lots of P&G. So in between, with the cruse has no hope of a repeatable error as long as you change your style from tank to tank.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:12 AM
Are you saying I need to adjust the correction factor from tank to tank?

I figured If I didn't adjust that it should read the same or rather accurate. I have adjusted for my mph. I will see what this tank's error is. It looks like I am on the way to a 45mpg tank

Old 01-15-2009, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pb and h
Are you saying I need to adjust the correction factor from tank to tank?
YES
If you drive different from tank to tank. That bad news is if you want a good reading as you run that tank you have to set it up for that style and stay with it. Try it.

0 correction for no advanced Hypermilling
13 for advanced stuff

Old 01-21-2009, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
a solution to accurate SG readings?

Has anyone thought of changing the gallons to Liters. Since the SG can only do whole units. This could be the problem. We can't adjust the 10.8 gallons properly. So it could be concluded that using the 44 Liters, the manual states, would be a better indicator. The only issue with this is you have to convert Liters to Gallons.

My SG usually reads 34.8MPG (with no correction), I know this to be off from my manual calculations. After being frustrated with the % correction on the SG, I decided to try this method. So far in my first tank using the Miles per Liter I am getting an average of 9.8.

1 Gallon = 3.7854118 Liters

9.8 x 3.7854118 = 37.097 MPG

Although I haven't finished the tank (infact I haven't even gone a 1/4 tank yet), this is closer to the actual MPG I calculate every fill up.

Another added bonus to this method is that the Miles till Empty is accurate.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member
that sucks taht it can only do whole units. wonder if they will fix that with an update...

Old 01-21-2009, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
Not sure the big deal to the point of messing with the eng units. It just effects the Tank Trip for miles/gals till empty. That's it.

Just set it for 10 and be done.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:24 PM
I am thinking of selling my SGII for $130 shipped since I only had it for 2.5months. I don't really need it and it is more of an instant gratification that I achieved XXmpg for the trip.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:31 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Where is the best place to buy a scangaugeII? Are there any places that have em cheaper or free shipping or anything. Not tryin to waste $$, and I really wanna get one so my girl can work on not driving like a crazy person. When you see higher MPG it means money in your pocket, even with gas cheap(for now)

Old 03-20-2009, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
The places I know of that sell them are scangauge.com ($170), thinkgeek.com ($160), cleanmpg.com on the left side of the page ($160), and JCWhitney.com ($160). You may be able to find a deal in the FitFreak classifieds.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:01 PM
CBX
I bought mine from Amazon.com, and ordered a second cable for around $12. Shipping was free, and when it arrived, there was a free extra cable included, so I have three cables now!

Old 07-17-2009, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
i just ordered the scangauge ll.
i'm by far not a hypermiler but i like the fact that i get to see my mpg and also troubleshoot if check engine lights turn on.
i hope it suppresses me from driving like a jackass.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:20 AM
$140

The scanguage is on sale at amazon for $140 shipped if anybody's still in the market for one. Amazon.com: ScanGauge II 3-in-1 Compact Multifunction Vehicle Computer with Customizable Display: Automotive

Old 01-06-2010, 11:05 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
AFRICAN HOT is what I like to call it. Uggg

nasty humid fl hot is way way worse than dry african hot!!!!!!!!

Old 01-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by wdb
Forced Auto-Stop. From the CleanMPG, An authoritative source on fuel economy and hypermiling glossary:

FAS

*Could be dangerous if not done right, possibly illegal*

Forced Autostop: A Honda hybrid will AS (Autostop) in various scenario’s although it is very limiting to a given condition. To high a speed, to cold, not enough SoC (state of Charge), not enough speed since last AS, Defrost or A/C on except for the AH and HCH-II in specific conditions, etc. will not allow AS … Forcing an AS in any vehicle (other then an HSD equipped hybrid), aka Fas , takes these limits out of the equation. Shift to N, let the Tach stabilize, key back to IG-I (shuts down the ICE and electronics), key back to IG-II to reboot the electronics and coast to a stop or pre-determined lower speed depending on conditions. Recover by starting up ICE via key to IG-III, release to IG-II, and engage transmission with a rev match to continue on your way. Pro’s include a very noticeable increase in FE over any short distance trip and is required in a few areas of the US as well as much of Europe, ie. sitting at a stop sign for > 15 seconds or at a stop for > 5 minutes … Con’s include powerless coast, power brake assist is lost after a few uses, power steering is lost although at speed, you do not need it, is illegal in some locales, and possibly both gear reduction starter from excessive ICE starts and pre-mature wear from re-engagements of the transmission at speed.

FAS is one of the dumbest things ive ever heard

forced automatic? OXYMORON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

lets just call it a fs

Old 03-31-2010, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
everyone having a good time and using the SG II?
I had 63mpg today RT Lake Worth to Lauderdale 96miles

Old 03-31-2010, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
everyone having a good time and using the SG II?
Yep, not coming close to those numbers however. Congrats on another efficient trip though!

Since the start of 2010 I've only filled up the fit 3 times lol.

Last edited by RichXKU; 03-31-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:11 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
I had a passenger ask me about the SGII on Tuesday, first time anyone has said anything about it. When I told him what it did his eyes started to glaze over. I changed the topic.

I'm still working towards 40MPG routinely, with little or no compromises in the way I like to drive or the level of safety with which I do it. The summer tires are back on the car now, which make life a bit more difficult because of how sticky they are, but I'm still coming pretty close. Another big recent change has been my commute; it's now half the distance it used to be, and virtually all of it is on secondary roads instead of freeways. The Fit is much, much more at home with this commute than it was when I ran the turnpike every day, and my gas mileage has improved as well.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:30 AM
5 Year Member

Quick Reply: Scan gauge schooling