General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Scan gauge schooling

Old 05-31-2008, 01:18 PM
5 Year Member
Menu > More > Setup > Fuel > Type >
then pick Hybrid and save.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks I'll do that on the next fill.
Is the only thing that will do is keep it recording miles when eng is off and key is II?

Old 05-31-2008, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, it will record everything as normal. And don't worry- this won't prevent it from shutting down after you park. It will turn off about 15-20 seconds after you pull the key out.

Old 05-31-2008, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
Not only can you get 70mpg you are pretty clever.

It's on page 16 of the install and op book and I just blew by it.
It says under HYBRID about a 1/3 of the way down. Hybrid veh must select HYBRID or the SG will go to sleep when the eng is off.

Props for Rich.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:02 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RichXKU
Paul: do you have your scangauge fuel type set to "hybrid" ? If you have it set to "gas" you'll see just what you are experiencing. You need to tell the SG you're driving a hybrid so it keeps "thinking" even when the engine is off. I always get ~77 miles from my home back to the old neighborhood no matter what I'm doing with the engine.
Just got my ScanGauge and made my first few runs yesterday and today. Engine-off activitity of the sg was driving me nuts, wondering if it was just sleeping and still keeping track, or if it was shutting down. I'll have to set it to 'hybrid' when I get back out the car. Thanks Rich!

Old 05-31-2008, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
Props for Rich.
Originally Posted by wdb
Thanks Rich!
Anytime, fellas!

Old 05-31-2008, 09:35 PM
Since you guys are on the subject about variance lets look at some more possible problems

My wifes car, 2008 CRV EX, was just filled up:
Name:  IMG00129.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  44.0 KB

The gallons used was 13.69. So, if we do the math from miles driven 357.5 divide that by 13.6 we get 26.2 mpg, however, if you look at the top left of the display under "AVG." and above "mpg" it says 27.1 which is what the ecu calculated(meaning the average mpg was 27.1). This is only 0.9 mpg difference or a 3.3% difference but I have notice before it has varied less, more or exact.

So, what does this mean???

Well, I am not 100% sure but I can think of 2 things:

1. pump inaccuracy
or
2. the ecu does not take into account how much fuel is used when starting the engine.

I guess it could be a combination of both.

What do you guys think? If you think about it, the scan gauge would have the same problem since it is reading from the ECU as well.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:58 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
Thought I'd share my mounting location, since it's probably a bit off the beaten path. I've only had the ScanGauge for two days so it is a little early to make pronouncements, but I like the Sirius radio in that location and so I expect to also be satisfied with the Scangauge being there.

Last edited by wdb; 06-01-2008 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:03 PM
Nice! I wouldn't mind something like that. I have mine on the steering column, which is probably where most everyone puts theirs. I would like it off to the side there. Run the wire under the panels and keep it real clean.

Originally Posted by wdb
Thought I'd share my mounting location, since it's probably a bit off the beaten path. I've only had the ScanGauge for two days so it is a little early to make pronouncements, but I like the Sirius radio in that location and so I expect to also be satisfied with the Scangauge being there.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wdb

Are you sure that will not interfere with the side air bag?

Old 06-01-2008, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
The side airbags, I believe, fire forward from the seat and down from the top, so it shouldn't be in the way as it sits.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
Lightbulb Gas tank capacity

Fray Adjacent wrote:

IIRC, I've also heard that the fuel light (in most cars) is designed to come on when you have about 50 miles range left... before the reserve is invaded.

To really tell, one of us would have to drive until the engine quits and then measure the amount of gas goes in until the pump stops the first time... but neither of us will risk damaging anything, so that test won't get done!
I have done this, mostly. I had calculated with my 35 MPG average that I could squeeze about 55 miles out after the light came on (assuming 1.7 gallons left when it comes on). Alas, it was not to be...

Very soon after hitting 50 miles (freeway driving, about 70 mph) the gas ran OUT (this was about 11:00 pm). The engine became sluggish going up the final hill before an exit, and as I crested, going about 40 or 45, I finally decided to put it in N, and it died. I coasted about 0.5 mile downhill to the exit, made an almost-no-brakes right into the "keep moving" lane (EPS FTW!) and immediately into the gas station. We only had to push it about 35 feet to the pump.

They were closing up, and had locked the doors, but at my pleading they turned the pumps back on (it said "warm start" or somesuch) and I filled it almost to the max.

11.9 gallons. Not 'to the first click', I know, but I know I could have put more in. (Upon reflection, I believe I put in 1.5 to 2 gallons in after the first click)

I don't know how well this elucidates the issue of overall capacity, but 1.7 is definitely the reserve. Don't push 50 miles unless you're hypermiling.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pb and h
2. the ecu does not take into account how much fuel is used when starting the engine.

I guess it could be a combination of both.

What do you guys think? If you think about it, the scan gauge would have the same problem since it is reading from the ECU as well.
Both scangauge and the car's ecu are only estimating. Car knows all the sensors, SG goes by airflow. Neither will be perfectly accurate.

Last edited by xorbe; 06-14-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
I would have guessed that the car's ECM knows exactly how large the injectors are, as well as what the pulse-width the injectors are firing at. Easy to calculate how much fuel is being used if those items, and the fuel pressure, are known. Chrysler products have been doing just that since the early 80's through the "traveller" computer that was optional on some cars with the turbo engines. SG should be able to hit that info in the ECM and give pretty accurate results. My wife's got my car right now or I'd go out and check, but looking through the FSM, it doesn't look like there is an air flow meter in the system. I'm guessing the EFI is speed-density based, using throttle position and MAP to calculate air flow rather than directly reading through a MAF sensor.

HF

Old 06-15-2008, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
I'd like to try a taller tire some day. Anyone try that and document the mpg change?[/quote]

Some of us have already tho not on a Fit. It will save gas if you don't go much bigger than 1" greater diameter and yo MUST go to a narrower tire.
The taller tire is like a lower actual gear ratio so the vehicle travels farther per engine rpm and the narrower tire is to keep tire weight from requiring more hp to turn the tire.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HEMI-Fit
I would have guessed that the car's ECM knows exactly how large the injectors are, as well as what the pulse-width the injectors are firing at. Easy to calculate how much fuel is being used if those items, and the fuel pressure, are known. Chrysler products have been doing just that since the early 80's through the "traveller" computer that was optional on some cars with the turbo engines. SG should be able to hit that info in the ECM and give pretty accurate results. My wife's got my car right now or I'd go out and check, but looking through the FSM, it doesn't look like there is an air flow meter in the system. I'm guessing the EFI is speed-density based, using throttle position and MAP to calculate air flow rather than directly reading through a MAF sensor.

HF
Injectors are not all identically performing, and the ECM on the Fit can dynamically adjust for about +/- 20% (by looking at the O2 sensor to make sure the closed-loop AFR is correct). My Z4 has a manual adjustment for if the car is estimating mpg too high or too low (basically like how the ScanGauge is adjusted). It's just not possible to do such an exact measurement.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:49 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
I'm beginning to have my doubts about this gizmo.

I just changed my P&G method and drove over 150 miles with the SG showing at least 50MPG average for the two trips. I thought, woo hoo! and pulled into the gas station to fill up. Guess what my calculated mileage was? 38.4 MPG, same as it has been on nearly every tank no matter how I have driven the car. Two things:
- ScanGauge once again woefully underestimated the amount of fuel used
- Supposed 50MPG runs were nothing of the sort
- Over 4 tankfuls, and using various methods, P&G has gained me exactly 0.0 MPG over using Cruise Control.

I keep reading about people seeing real gains, but I have to wonder: are they measuring real gains, or are they just repeating what the SG tells them -- which, in my case at least, are not real world figures.

Sigh.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
Safety issues aside, does the ODO work while gliding???

Old 06-16-2008, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
Now that I have mine set as hybrid so it records when moving with eng off the accuracy is unreal.

Last fill

Odometer 500.5 miles
SG tank 497

Pumped gals 10.394
SG tank gal 10.2 gal

Calc MPG 48.15
SG MPG tank 48.3

Old 06-16-2008, 10:27 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xorbe
Safety issues aside, does the ODO work while gliding???
Yep, if you follow RichXKU's advice above and set the vehicle type to Hybrid. Also you have to switch the car's ignition back to the "On" position. You'll want to do that anyway so the electric power steering, brake lights, and all that stuff will work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Scan gauge schooling