General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Scan gauge schooling

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cojaro
This has been bothering me. Can someone who's driving MT tell me what the realtime mpg is at 45mph in 4th gear and then in 5th gear? I'm not sure which is the best gear to be in at that speed.
Without a doubt 5th gear.
In fact 5th is best down to a verified 30mph

You will have to upshft at that low of an RPM to get going but it will get the best MPG is just steady flat cruising for sure....Looked at that many time now. I see like 55mpg at 35

Old 04-03-2008, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
I'll verify the "5th is best as low as 30" statement!

Realtime is really hard to track. and cold temps just KILL fuel economy. I completed the first half of my trip in disgust tonight. 10-15 MPH headwind, 45°F and cold engine meant 41 MPG. but the reverse was true on the way back, getting me 56 MPG. 47.x for the day.

First fill with the SG too! with a 48 MPG for the tank (odometer and gallons, since I had no SG for the first 75% of the tank)

Old 04-04-2008, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
I called scan gauge today about the False MPH readings two of us have seen. I have only seen it one or two times on mine. It would be in the yesterday trip memory or current not tank as that does not exist

What Ron told me was:
  1. He has not heard of that before on any car/truck
  2. He's pretty sure that it's the ECU throwing out a bogus number and not the scan gauge. No solution exists as it's the Fit issue. Could be the speed sensor itself.
  3. Said look at the peak rpm and see if it's also high at the same time. If the are both high and there's any doubt, the car was doing that. If the MPH is high and RPM's are normal than it's item 2 above. They are totaly independent sensors and data.
Talked about a few other things like my HP x GAUGE is GOING TO ZERO WHEN AT WOT. He said i CAN FIX THAT BY LOWERING THE FUEL CUT OF FROM 24 TO 5 ABOVE the idle reading for the TPS or 0. I will not try that but wanted to share if anyone has that issue.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
Just checked... my "max RPM" is good.
No big deal, just like I said I hope however long its getting that incorrect reading isn't skewing the MPG readings up.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
Keep looking at yours. Like a said, intermittent issue. If you have looked 1 or 2 times, you could miss it for sure.

Rest assured, it's not skewing the mpg. It just logs the peak mph for that trip reading as read from the ECU. The false peak being tossed by the ECU is just another Fit defect. Look at the avg mph, it's not effected. Beside the mpg calc is MILES/gals not mph anything.

Not defending the product just trying to calm the fears........

If still in doubt and concerned, call Ron at Scan gauge, he will help......

Old 04-04-2008, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
Ah youre absolutely right. since the "odometer" portion and "MPH" portion are reported seperately it doesnt really count.

Now I just hope I someday don't get pulled over by an officer who knows what a scanguage is and asks me to flip to the max speed screen.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
What bugs me about that bug is this will be my daughters car soon and I liked that feature so I could check how it was driven when dad was not around.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:39 PM
5 Year Member
Just over 4,000 miles now and I'm still looking at what works and what does not. For sure, stop and go driving kills the eco as well as not moving with the engine on. Well the stop part if done right with coasting and coasting down in gear provides gains. No surprise I'd say there.

I have now found the optimum speed on Interstates for me. At 55mph in the area I live in, I'm not holding up anyone and with 1 sec drafting of big box trucks I can exceed 50mpg easy as pie. With any kind of a tail wind over 55 has been seen. This will not work well on a 2 lane Interstate because you just hold up the gas hogs in a hurry, but on I-95 with maybe 5+ lanes it's not an issue. My average of +42 is the result of getting to and from that interstate part of my commute. Ohh that 1 sec drafting part is good for an easy 5 to 7mph at 55mph.

Other than increased tire pressure I have made no eco changes to my Fit. It's all about how you driev IMHO

PS can anyone read what my Fit says?
hope this helps

Old 04-30-2008, 10:24 AM
nope, can't read what the picture says.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:54 AM
5 Year Member
One item with the SG that makes it hard to share results is the instantaneous reading moves around so much at best all you can to is eye ball the extremes and guess at the mean. Also the avg functions (Current, Today, Yesterday and Tank) include the start and stop in the avg. I'm sure all users have seen how the 0mpg drags down the avg for many miles. It's real but if interested in what it does steady state at speed, not usable.

I'd like to be able to reset the Current avg on the fly without affecting the TANK data.

I will find out, but figured I'd see if any Fit user on here has done that yet. Anyone?

The big advantage of that is when looking at anything like what is the mpg at 45mph or A/C or windows, if a 5 min avg can be collected (at that condition with all else constant) the results will be way more valuable. Just now it's nothing more than a swag.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:12 AM
5 Year Member
It can do what you want

Actually, Paul, the Scangauge will do what you are looking for using "current" mode. You can get whatever averaging period you want by pushing the reset button to start a reading and then waiting for the amount of time you want to use. For example, when measuring my mpg for different speeds on the highway, I usually wait for a minute or two at each speed to average out the instantaneous variations. The reset will not affect the "Today", "Yesterday" or "Tank" values so these are still all saved.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
I had seen the rest button when displaying the current trip but did not have the nads to press it. Did today and have a sold data point.

40mph on flat ground for 2 miles.

Did it in both directing to negate wind disturbance variable and what I see is:

40 mph
2000RPM's
50.8MPG

I'm going to build a table of these and curve. Be patient with me if interested. I was just luck I could go both way on a short trip today. That's not normal within an hour or so.

Points of interest for me per other thread are 45, 50 and 55

Old 05-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Get that info and graph it!

That is what I have been waiting on.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:20 PM
no matter what i try i can only avg 27.5mpg...i try coasting i try drafting the best ive ever gone was 28.5 i do mostly city driving and highway driving its a mixture of both an i do have a lot of traffic sometimes but when i dont its just wierd....especially if i got the exhaust and i dont really slam on my gass pedal anymore..i did though notice something today i avg 27.5 mpg going down 1 and 9 in new jersey doing about 80 mph..which is wierd because when i normally go 45-60mph it still reads the same and i keep the rpms relaly low to the point where im pressing on the gas pedal ever so gently that if i stop pushing just that little bit the car slows down...lol help me!

Old 05-07-2008, 03:54 PM
A couple questions to you then:

Have you calculated your mpg when you fill up by the amount of miles driven/ gallons filled? Are those results the same as the scan gauge?

Maybe you just drive like a mad man?

Maybe the SG is broken?

Old 05-07-2008, 04:23 PM
yeah my mpg are correct.....lol ive done the calculations before i got the scanguage and it reads the same i put in 5-20w, kand n oild filter,, jus replaced my air filter and the sg cant be brokern becuase it reads the same numbers i have lol..i just cant get it my mpg any higher lol and its pissing me off...lol

Old 05-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by pb and h
A couple questions to you then:

Have you calculated your mpg when you fill up by the amount of miles driven/ gallons filled? Are those results the same as the scan gauge?

Maybe you just drive like a mad man?

Maybe the SG is broken?
He does.
Sorry tony

Old 05-07-2008, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
I've got a real short commute - maybe 4.5 miles each way - so I've got nothing but city traffic and a cold engine for most of that time. About the best I get on these short runs is 28-29mpg, sometimes mid-27's if I forget about the egg under the gas pedal...

Hoping to get in on the Scan-gauge GB on the cleanMPG site.

HF

Old 05-07-2008, 09:27 PM
i use to...lol..today i did drive like a mad mann though i got off for summer vaction..another semester behind me..lol

Old 05-09-2008, 07:43 AM
5 Year Member
Using my new skill of reseting the current to get good stead state avg's at speed I recorded this on my AM commute

I-95 segment 80% 1 sec drafting large 18 wheel box
51.5 mpg avg
58 mph avg
68 mph peak
14 miles 54% of my trip

total for trip door to door with a drive by at daughters bus stop
46.4 mpg avg
38 mph avg
68 mph peak
25.5 miles

As I had observed and reported before, look how much I give up getting to and from the free-way over 5 mpg

I also have some preliminary data that suggested that a steady 30mph in 5th is close to 60mpg.

Quick Reply: Scan gauge schooling