General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Paint Peeling from Front Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 04:41 PM
Retired Moderator
Dammit I need a better digicam...my crappy Sony one cant take pics that close that clear...

Old 07-27-2006, 04:46 PM
Damnit!

No full blown peels yet, but one corner on the rear bumper doesn't seem right. The paint seems soft and pastey, like it would wipe clean off if I rubbed it.

May try loosening the bumper, may wait it out a bit and see how it progresses... my digicam is MIA, but I'll try and throw a pic up soon.

And it's a storm silver sport with 2500 miles :/

Last edited by joe d; 07-27-2006 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kev01
how do you loosen the bumper? maybe those that don't have peeling yet should do it before it rubs even more
The front bumper at least is attached to the fender at the side through a tight screw + washer. Found that out when my bumper uh... fell off.

Philips head screwdriver will loosen in no problem.

Old 07-27-2006, 04:54 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
*whew* just checked her again. looking good

Old 07-27-2006, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by milano sol

you have Nighthawk Black?
yesm and its peeling before my eyes

Old 07-27-2006, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by kev01
how do you loosen the bumper? maybe those that don't have peeling yet should do it before it rubs even more
its pretty easy actually. for the front go to the wheel well. right where teh bumper and fender meet at the end feel around and youll catch the single screw. same on each end front and back. those are the spots where the paints actually peeling for most of the cars and its very very tight and snug.

i can try and take pics this weekend to give everyone a better view of where to loosen it.

Old 07-27-2006, 05:47 PM

ok i finally get aroudn to loosening my bumpers....my front is totally fine. my rear....the passenger side looked fine until i loosened it. it hasnt started peeling but its bubbled and rippled to the point where it looks like if i run my finger across it the paint will just come off and start peeling.

which leads me to believe that Honda when they painted the bumpers didnt let them dry completely and when they attached it tight on the corners itll cause it to ripple/bubble and eventually peel.

called the Honda 800 number and gave them my info....they said a case manager shoudl be in contact with me within 3-5 days. please call 1-800-999-1009 and not go to the dealer....this is the only way a recall will get noticed and taken care of faster than a dealer.

Last edited by milano sol; 07-27-2006 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by TheDanger
w00t another Jax guy...whats up man? But I got mine at Lucas im about to go up there and let them know and see what they will do.
Sup Danger.. If Lucas Honda gives you any slack just let them know that it has been an ongoing problem with these cars. If you need to talk to a quality service rep Tom Martin at Duval Honda is a really great guy and he has already dealt with the problem .... He had my car sent to Vivarettes paint and body and even got me a free rental car for three days cause it was a warranty issue... Good luck.. See you around JAX!

Old 07-27-2006, 07:19 PM
Retired Moderator
Honda is totally obsessed with their service. I just recieved a call to rate my experience yesterday when I called Honda Canada. Do they really need to survey EVERYTHING?!?! Either way, I did get in a complaint saying that this is taking way too long for them to determine if this is a warranty problem as this is clearly happening to more Fit owners than myself. Maybe it's just me, but when it comes to factory problems on my new car, I'm a little impatient...

Old 07-27-2006, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Illusive
Honda is totally obsessed with their service. I just recieved a call to rate my experience yesterday when I called Honda Canada. Do they really need to survey EVERYTHING?!?!
yes they do. they did a survey after i bought my car, and after i took it in for alarm install the following week. haha and since i called today about the paint im sure ill get another call.

Old 07-27-2006, 07:25 PM
Retired Moderator
Yeah so far I've had 3 phone surveys from Honda Canada, and 2 independent form surveys. JD Power offers a prize that will be randomly drawn sometime in the future, while the other one (can't remember the name) gave me a check for $2.00. I think the check with all of its safety features is worth more than the printed value haha!

Old 07-27-2006, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
http://honda.ca/HondaCA2006/YourHond...edback.htm?L=E

As a owner of a Honda Fit, I am very concerned about the very poor quality of the paint job. This is evident where the bumper meets the side fenders, and the movement causes the paint to peel off within 2000 km.

Many members of the largest Honda Fit forum have this problem, with photos.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7154

(If you're reading this @ Honda Canada, congrats, you found the right place) *wave*

Otherwise I look like an idiot waving to nobody in particular.
BTW: I said earlier I didn't ahve the problem. But looking closer, my passenger rear bumper paint is starting to strip

Last edited by crimsona; 07-27-2006 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:44 AM
my NBP is def. peeling on 3 of 4 sides of the bumper. talked to my service manager this AM and he hadn't heard about it yet...but did print out this thread and left it with him. think the asst. mgr. will contact honda about it next. waiting now...hope to have an answer soon.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by thejroisgo

I have NBP and thats the exact same place mine is peeling almost identical to yours in size also. Also someone said theirs feelings mushy and mine also feels mushy in that area.

Old 07-28-2006, 04:07 PM
w00t

just got back from the dealer and im taking it back next week to go into the shop

Old 07-28-2006, 06:30 PM
Retired Moderator
WTF?!?!? Where is this service at my dealership?!?! Piss me off...

Old 07-28-2006, 07:53 PM
bleh, mine is peeling too...

Here are some pics. I'll be taking my Fit into the dealer soon. I'm so mad, I havn't had the car barely 3 months, this is stupid. Everything else about the Fit is perfect, but what a pain to have the bumber repainted.

Another place...

Last edited by fits2000; 07-28-2006 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:41 AM
Ok, I just checked my Storm Silver Sport Auto, and I have the same paint issues. The corners are peeling. The paint seems thin, cheap, and rubbery like. I'm upset because I spent +$400 on paint protection film to keep this from happening!

So, should I contact Honda of America first, or my dealer where I bought it from?

Old 07-29-2006, 03:20 AM
Originally Posted by fad3r
So, should I contact Honda of America first, or my dealer where I bought it from?
i called honda america and they told me to go to the dealer to make sure it is a warranty issue and the dealer is taking care. but it only takes 5 min to call honda and tell them about it, hopefully if they get enough calls about it they'll fix the process so they dont get more angry customers.

Last edited by thejroisgo; 07-29-2006 at 03:23 AM.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:55 AM
I see the beginnings of it on my VBP. Will call Honda and the dealship today.

Front Passenger Side:

Rear Driver Side:

Quick Reply: Paint Peeling from Front Bumper