General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Paint Peeling from Front Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 12:47 AM
Someone that Posts too much
I just noticed that I have the same issue

going to bring it to the dealer tomorrow to get it looked at

-joe

Old 08-08-2006, 12:48 AM
Do they replace the bumpers or just repaint it?

Old 08-08-2006, 09:19 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fad3r
Do they replace the bumpers or just repaint it?
i think it depends on the dealer.. if they really want to fix it they will repaint the whole thing.. if they just wanna quick fix they will spot it.

Old 08-08-2006, 09:48 AM
I brought mine in the other day so that the service manager could look at it. He immediately said "wow, I can't believe Honda would make the bumper and fender touch! That's definitely a design flaw."

He didn't want to just repaint the bumper, so he took my info and will call me after he speaks with Honda directly.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:16 PM
paint peeling

It lookis like its up to the dealer to provide you with a loaner but I have always felt that they should provide you with a loaner if your car is a newer model and they are fixing a problem you did not cause. If you didnt buy a car from their dealership they probably save loaner cars for customers who bought cars from their dealership (buy local) thats my thinking. My dealer asked if I needed a car while my fit was being fixed, I didnt even ask but it probably helps that myself and my family have purcahsed several cars from this dealership. Anyway the owner of the paint shop that fixed my Fit told me he has painted different models of Hondas (Accord, Ridgelines etc.) with bumper paint problems in the same area as my Fit. After reading all the postings it looks like Honda needs to alter its manufacturing/assembly process regarding all or most Honda bumpers. I'm glad I had mine fixed because now I have a written record of paint issues if they ever come up again.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:21 PM
Hopefully it doesn't happen again after the dealer fixed it. I've never heard so many complaints about paint on a car in my life, and to think a company like Honda, something isn't right.

My moms 03 Ford Taurus SE has 36k miles on it, I washed it just the other day the paint is flawless, and It was just on a 2000 mile trip with bugs plastered to the bumper. They all came off without a mark, I'd hate to see what that would be like on the front of a Honda.

Last I checked it should be Ford with the issues not Honda.

Old 08-09-2006, 08:31 AM
5 Year Member
I dropped my Fit off at the dealer this morning. It'll be done with the body work tomorrow afternoon. They supplied my an Element for my free loaner. I hate the thing, but it's better than nothing! I'll report back with what work was done.

Old 08-09-2006, 08:52 AM
Curious - why do you hate the element?

Old 08-09-2006, 09:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by trowpa
Curious - why do you hate the element?
Moving from a Fit to an SUV... it's very large, ungainly, sluggish, you can't see things low on the ground behind you, feels like a truck, turns like a truck. Need I go on?

Old 08-09-2006, 09:51 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bgalizio
Moving from a Fit to an SUV... it's very large, ungainly, sluggish, you can't see things low on the ground behind you, feels like a truck, turns like a truck. Need I go on?
its like a girly truck!
lol if you are wanting a truck might as well get an F250 V10!! hehe.. or atleast i would.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:57 AM
Just curious - some day when the kids are older and I can replace our minivan with something else, I want something 4wd to take on the beach (I go surf fishing a lot) - I like the configurable open, space the Element has that also can be wiped down.

when are they going to start making 4wd vehicles that get >30 mpg??? ok back to peeling paint....

Old 08-09-2006, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sLiVeRwOrM
its like a girly truck!
lol if you are wanting a truck might as well get an F250 V10!! hehe.. or atleast i would.
I think you misunderstood. Those are the reasons why I DON'T like the Element that I was given for my loaner. "Moving from a Fit to an SUV" means that I was used to driving a Fit, now I have an SUV for 2 days. This is why I don't like that SUV as compared to driving a Fit.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by sLiVeRwOrM
its like a girly truck!
V10 bleh no, PowerStoke diesel please.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:03 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
well.. V8 powerstoke. is ok but i like saying i have a V10 hehe . as for an element i had one for about 15mins also thats about the time they called and told me to comeback and they took it away from me!

Old 08-09-2006, 05:38 PM
I took my Fit to the dealer to get the paint on the bumpers looked at. You can clearly see where the paint is coming off wherever it met the body. BUT they said the WON'T PAINT IT!!! They will touch up the scrapes with damn touchup paint. Get this: they said the 3m clear film I had on the front may have contributed to the paint peeling!!! What's ironic is the most apparent defect is on the REAR BUMPER where there is NO CLEAR BRA FILM!!!! I'm really getting let down by my dealer. I'd go elsewhere, but the other places wouldn't provide me with a rental.

The service manager said the Honda rep came by to visit and check out my car. The rep said the thing about the 3m Film contributing to the paint peel. Also, the service manager said he won't paint it unless Honda puts out a bulletin or recall notice for it.

SO PLEASE PEOPLE, CALL HONDA OF AMERICA AND LET THEM KNOW YOU HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!

I now have to wait til one of these stupid bulletins come out before I can get the issues with the paint peeling bumpers resolved!

While I was there, I was expecting them to fill and paint the hole left in my bumper from when they decided to install the front license plate holer. Since I never asked to have it installed, they should fix it, right? WRONG! In the state I bought the Fit, its mandatory to have front license plates. So, they decided to drill a hole in my bumper and put it on.

I'd like to get all of this fixed but they won't fix it. Is it worth paying for it to get it done?

Here is the thread about my woes with the dealer: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/honda-fit-dealer-reviews/6277-jay-honda-cleveland-oh-big-letdown.html

Last edited by fad3r; 08-09-2006 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:42 PM
if you didn't ask them NOT to do it, then it's not their fault

-joe

Old 08-09-2006, 05:49 PM
F--- NO it is not worth it. You paid ~16k bucks for a factory-defective car. Get what is yours, and don't let the dealership scrape 100 bucks for their own bottom line. They made a few thousand off you already - don't let them take advantage of you.

The front license plate will be a different issue altogether though...someone on here did have some success with getting a replacement. I didn't worry about it because I bought mine with the hole already in it. If I had ordered it specifically asking for no front hole bumper then I would talk to honda corporate and get a fix for sure.

Old 08-09-2006, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by sillypuddy
if you didn't ask them NOT to do it, then it's not their fault

-joe
I don't understand your comment. I didn't ask them NOT to provide an inferior paint job to the front bumper. That should be a given.

If you were referring to the license plate holder, I wasn't even given the option of not having it installed. It is up to the dealer to decide whether or not to drill a hole in the bumper. The dealer chose to drill the hole instead of just mounting it from the bottom, underneath the bumper - not me. I'm just asking them to return it to the way it looks from the factory.

For more info on the front license plate issue, see this thread: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/california-southern-community/5679-front-license-plate.html

Old 08-09-2006, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fad3r
I took my Fit to the dealer to get the paint on the bumpers looked at. You can clearly see where the paint is coming off wherever it met the body. BUT they said the WON'T PAINT IT!!! They will touch up the scrapes with damn touchup paint. Get this: they said the 3m clear film I had on the front may have contributed to the paint peeling!!! What's ironic is the most apparent defect is on the REAR BUMPER where there is NO CLEAR BRA FILM!!!! I'm really getting let down by my dealer. I'd go elsewhere, but the other places wouldn't provide me with a rental.

The service manager said the Honda rep came by to visit and check out my car. The rep said the thing about the 3m Film contributing to the paint peel. Also, the service manager said he won't paint it unless Honda puts out a bulletin or recall notice for it.

SO PLEASE PEOPLE, CALL HONDA OF AMERICA AND LET THEM KNOW YOU HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!

I now have to wait til one of these stupid bulletins come out before I can get the issues with the paint peeling bumpers resolved!

While I was there, I was expecting them to fill and paint the hole left in my bumper from when they decided to install the front license plate holer. Since I never asked to have it installed, they should fix it, right? WRONG! In the state I bought the Fit, its mandatory to have front license plates. So, they decided to drill a hole in my bumper and put it on.

I'd like to get all of this fixed but they won't fix it. Is it worth paying for it to get it done?

Here is the thread about my woes with the dealer: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6277
Follow the dispute guidelines in the back of your owner's manual. Get everything documented in writing as you work your way up the chain. I have a feeling by the time you get to the Honda district rep, you'll have the matter resolved.

IMHO, the dealer is responsible for taking care of the hole in the bumper issue (cars come with a plate bracket which the dealers need to install) and Honda is responsible for the paint peeling, regardless of the clear bra.

Good luck!!

Old 08-09-2006, 06:00 PM
it's a moot point

you didn't ask them to take the shipping tape off the car
you didn't ask them to install the antenna
you didn't ask them to mount a battery

they just went though the list of PDI items, which probably included drilling holes for the plate holder.. so if you didn't tell them specifically not to do it, why would they NOT do it.. it makes no sense

-joe

Quick Reply: Paint Peeling from Front Bumper