General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Paint Peeling from Front Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 04:42 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
^ Bunch of jerks! Thankfully my closest dealer is also the one I bought the car from. They're already replacing my headliner because of grease smudges that were there on delivery, so I should be okay if the paint starts to peel (hasn't yet, but I'm only at 480-ish miles now).

Old 08-04-2006, 04:47 PM
If I got a call that they wanted their rental car returned like that I would drift it all the way back to the dealership.

Old 08-04-2006, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
I have 1200 miles, and no peeling on my VBP, not yet anyways...

Old 08-04-2006, 04:59 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by daviddahlb
If I got a call that they wanted their rental car returned like that I would drift it all the way back to the dealership.
dont worry, i did... lol
it was an element with 620 miles on it.. i down shifted to 1st and floored it.. made alot of noise too! .... mabye i did some other stuff too.. but iam not sayin!

Old 08-04-2006, 05:00 PM
Father of the Wasteland
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sLiVeRwOrM
FYI
For thoes of us that bought our car at another dealership from the one we will be getting the work done, they will not give you a car unless you complain alot or are really nice. I just tried to take my car in and since I bought my car out of state I could not get a loaner.. so I was told.. I am in the middle of complaining to get a loner car because I actually had one and I was half way home then got a call to return the call since I did not buy it from their dealership. Needless to say that ruined my day and Iam tryin to save the others that may also be in the same situation..
Lets go down there and kick some ass...

Last edited by claymore; 08-05-2006 at 04:15 AM.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:01 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
after... my work is done... shhhh...

Old 08-04-2006, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
Loaner Cars

I called Honda USA today - talked to "Don".

He said he had never heard of the paint issue. Gave him my vin, hope he made some notes.

I plan to call back Monday and check. If there are no notes in some file, I will ask the rep. who answers to make notes, and tell him I will be calling back to check that the notations were made. I also tried to convince him he should go to this site and look at the pictures.

Monday when I call, I will get an name and address to send pictures to.

He said the issue of whether or not to give a loaner is purely up to the dealership. Then, he said it was policy to provide a loaner in cases where the repairs would take more than one day.

I say we start calling and mailing Honda USA and get their attention.

I plan to make myself so well known to them that they make sure I get a loaner when the time comes to paint my FIT. I encourage all of you to do likewise.

Old 08-04-2006, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
I warn that I didn't take the time to read all 8 pages of posts. My 2001 S2000 did this on both sides where the front bumper met the body.

It is from too tight a fit (pardon the pun) where the plastic meets the metal. I wonder if heat causes expansion and tightens the gap to the point where it rubs the paint off.

I'll check mine tomorrow...though I ended up dealing with it on my $32,000 S2000, so I guess it won't bother me quite as much with the Fit.

Again, apologies if this has been discussed already...

Old 08-06-2006, 02:47 AM
Paint is peeling on the front and rear of the passenger side bumpers. Less than 3000 miles on my SSM Sport.

Honda better acknowledge this defect.

Old 08-06-2006, 02:58 AM
5 Year Member
Man, I feel lucky reading this thread in that I've got no peeling at all (yet?). I'm really curious how widespread this issue is. I also was talking w/ a Japanese friend of mine and he mentioned that when the Fit first debuted in Japan, the pink and light blue cars had issues with peeling paint on the side mirrors, but some time had passed before it surfaced -- ours are brand new.

Old 08-07-2006, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chikubi
Man, I feel lucky reading this thread in that I've got no peeling at all (yet?). I'm really curious how widespread this issue is. I also was talking w/ a Japanese friend of mine and he mentioned that when the Fit first debuted in Japan, the pink and light blue cars had issues with peeling paint on the side mirrors, but some time had passed before it surfaced -- ours are brand new.
It's a widespread problem...all of our Fits were made in the same factory and the same period...and not everyone will post here for their problem, there are more then enough evidence that this is not isolated incident and will def happen to all our Fits that's manufactured in Japan this year...unless Honda take it's action and fix up the problem now...I suspect that all of our Fit will eventually have paint peeling issues due to some kind of defects in the painting process...

Old 08-07-2006, 03:49 AM
I would bet that this happens with ALL of them. It's just a matter of time. Soon as I get the time Im taking mine in.

Old 08-07-2006, 10:38 AM
I took mine in last week, they said I have to wait till i meet with a honda rep at the dealer to have him confirm the peeling before the bodyshop would touch it. Then they would take care of it. Is that another way for them to say they dont want to deal with it?
This is after I talked to the bodyshop tech who recieved a warranty fix-it card from me i got from a service personel at the dealership about the peeling. I feel like im getting the run-around.

Old 08-07-2006, 11:27 AM
I took my car to have my bumper fixed at a dealership near me. They did a good job repairing it but gosh, the color looks a bit faded. I'm wishing I never took it in. Are you guys getting your bumper repainted?

Old 08-07-2006, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
Honda USA called me today because I got my Fit last thursday. It was the survey about the dealership, and I took the opportunity to tell the guy about all the posts concerning paint peeling and he entered all the info into his computer.

Last edited by valdesebent; 08-07-2006 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:38 PM
The truth is, if it hasn't been mentioned before.

All Hondas are having this problem they are laying the paint too thin. Go to any Civic forum, any Element forum, any Accord forum, any Odyssey forum.. You get my point, they all talk about it. Honda has been doing it since about 1998 and the problem traces back to then, have they done anything about it? Nope.

You should see one of my friends moms 05 Accord LX, the paint is shot to h*ll, peeling off both bumpers.

Last edited by RevToTheRedline; 08-07-2006 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nexus4400
I took my car to have my bumper fixed at a dealership near me. They did a good job repairing it but gosh, the color looks a bit faded. I'm wishing I never took it in. Are you guys getting your bumper repainted?
dang, what kind of shietty paint job they offerred you???!! the car is new, and if they match the paint and repainted it correctly, you should see no color variation!! I'll be dam piss if this happens to me, esp at a dealer...you should have them correct the problem...

Old 08-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sLiVeRwOrM

I took my car in right work, droped my car off.. signed everything.. did everything that needed to be done. Then went inside to speak with the samesman (after waitting literally and hour). I signed the papers for the loaner car and transfered everything out of my car into the loaner. Drove off and was about half way home when I got a call on my phone. It was the salesman telling me I had to come back because they can't give me a loaner car since I didn't buy the car from them!! Never once was I asked weather or not I bought the car from them or anything, I even told them that I had bought the car out of state and they said its no problem we can get ya fixed.. So after driving back in 5 o'clock traffic to take the car back. I dropped it off. I was going over the situation with the salesman telling him thats my only means of transportation, I asked him if there was anyway I could get a car. He told me exactly this "Yea we can get you a car, the white one you came in". That just pissed me off and I demanded my car and left, but before I did I asked him if he could get me the phone numbers to the other local honda dealerships.. just to annoy him. Today I will be calling them and having a word with their service manager.
So they called me back today and said I would have to call Honda and see if they would pay for a rental car and then to have Honda email the service manager.. WTF?! its just getting more and more pissed off everytime I talk to them.

Old 08-07-2006, 05:03 PM
It's not thin. It's lightweight paint! :P

Old 08-07-2006, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
I'm taking mine in next week, but they said no free rental unless I purchased the additional warranty...bunch of bs...but hopefully they will at least get the paint job right this time...**fingers crossed..**

Quick Reply: Paint Peeling from Front Bumper