General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

HVAC replacement costs

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 07:18 PM
Unhappy HVAC replacement costs

Hi! I am new to this forum. I have a 2012 FIT which I bought new and take very good care of. I recently discovered, after finding over a inch of water on the floor of the front passenger seat that the small plastic cylinder of the HVAC unit (the one where the rubber tube connects) is broken and this has been leaking onto the floor. How it got broken beats me - perhaps by the foot of a passenger (one of the five I have had in the past year. this is a mom mobile - child and dog in the back seat). The cost of replacing it has shocked me - parts about 350 - labor: 12-13 hours at $110 hour - for a total of 1700 (at local Honda dealer) - Is this normal? Can anyone speak to this? I realize it is an extensive process to access the HVAC - but 13 hours total? maybe? what do I know!? But I am trying to learn. So, if you know, I would love to hear your expert opinion!

PS they say it is not covered by warranty as it is not a faulty part or workmanship - though, if you ask me, if it was indeed damaged by a passenger's foot, then this is faulty design - someone's foot should not be able to have contact with a part that can so easily be broken (by normal usage - passenger sitting in passenger seat)

Feeling very disappointed.

Last edited by espcamara; 05-29-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator
Well if the nipple is broke off the HVAC box the box has to be replaced.
That will consist of removing the dash evacuating the ac and draining the coolant and disconnect the airbags and drop the column.
The box itself is 268 bucks plus some ac orings and coolant and whatever misc to replace the box.
I have never looked where the drain is but its possible that a passenger could break the drain tube nipple.
So 13 hours labor is probably in the ballpark to replace the box.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:32 AM
5 Year Member
Try claiming it on your comprehensive insurance. You would only have a deductible then.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:18 AM
But if you go through insurance as a claim they will charge you more the next time your polict renews so weigh the cost of paying for it out-of-pocket versus having higher insurance rates.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator
I looked at my car this morning. The drain tube sits under the dash passenger side of the center console pretty close to the firewall. I guess if someone had big feet and kicked that area it could bust the nipple off the box.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:03 PM
thanks for info

Thank you so much for the information - it was really helpful. One mechanic I spoke to recommended fixing it with a strong epoxy glue - not a permanent solution, but might be worth a try. Also, he charges 30$ less per hour for labor, so I would save a good bit of money going with him for this 12-13 hour job. I will need to figure out a way to protect that area accidentally being hit/kicked by feet in the future. - I sure don't want to have to deal with this repair more than once - very expensive for someone stretching a leg too far!

Old 06-03-2014, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DWils
But if you go through insurance as a claim they will charge you more the next time your polict renews so weigh the cost of paying for it out-of-pocket versus having higher insurance rates.
I don't know if this would be covered by comprehensive, but I've made numerous claims for windshields, hail, trees falling, and fire, and they have never affected the rate. Not like a collision.

I am definitely going to take a look under the dash. Thanks for sharing this story. It's a cautionary tale for the rest of us.

Cheers.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:40 AM
5 Year Member
Here is a pic from Shop Manual. Is it this drain hose? If so it just exits to outside and is not a pressurized hose? If so heck I would attempt to get at it and just put it back together with a product called GOOP. Would make it watertight and has a bit of give should Sasquatch decide to kick it again.

Name:  Untitled-9.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  40.0 KB

Old 06-09-2014, 02:46 PM
Honda comes through

On the diagram, it is not the drain hose but the piece of the unit onto which the hose connects. That pieces broke off - so instead of draining out, the water was dripping into the car from the unit.

I contested the determination that the repair was not covered by warranty, pointing out that this piece was too vulnerable in placement if it could be broken by a passengers foot. I talked to the service manager, pleaded my case, and he got took it up the chain. Honda has agreed to cover the repair in full and the mechanic is going to find a way to protect/cover the area to prevent future damage.

Thank you all for your input - and yes, a cautionary tale to all - mark off that area in your passenger's side so your passengers don't accidentally put their feet there - or better yet, find a way to protect it with an additional covering. A minor detail in design with unintended problems.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by espcamara
On the diagram, it is not the drain hose but the piece of the unit onto which the hose connects. That pieces broke off - so instead of draining out, the water was dripping into the car from the unit.

I contested the determination that the repair was not covered by warranty, pointing out that this piece was too vulnerable in placement if it could be broken by a passengers foot. I talked to the service manager, pleaded my case, and he got took it up the chain. Honda has agreed to cover the repair in full and the mechanic is going to find a way to protect/cover the area to prevent future damage.

Thank you all for your input - and yes, a cautionary tale to all - mark off that area in your passenger's side so your passengers don't accidentally put their feet there - or better yet, find a way to protect it with an additional covering. A minor detail in design with unintended problems.
You sweet talker you. Congrats.

I know it is not the hose but the piece it connects to. I would still like to know if this hose just drains underneath the car and is not a pressurized one. If so the broken piece likely could be repaired as I suggested.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:22 PM
Yes, it drains to the outside and I do think GOOP would work - believe me, I'd try that before I shelled out the 1700$! Thanks!

Old 06-10-2014, 05:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by espcamara
Yes, it drains to the outside and I do think GOOP would work - believe me, I'd try that before I shelled out the 1700$! Thanks!
OK thanks. It would have been nice to see a pic of the broken part.