General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

My GE Turbo Build 2017

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 02:30 PM
Banned
My GE Turbo Build 2017

What's up everyone. I've owned the Fit for 5 years now and want something fast. Well, the Fit will never truly be fast but I want it to be faster. So, I've decided to go with a turbo. Many of you will say "But CounterFIT, why not get the Sprintex? It's bolt on!" Yes, it is. But the max boost you could really run with that setup is probably about 12lbs. It's not built for high boost. Sure, I could spend $3000 on top of the $3100 kit and build it for high boost, but for $6100 I might as well look into a K20. That being said, I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive build. If you've seen Lyon's build, he spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $1500 on parts and he had a very successful experience. Moral of the story is you don't need to spend an arm and a leg to get power. Now of course, there are certain aspects of a turbo system that you should spend a lot of money on (i.e. the turbo, manifold, BOV, wastegate) because if you don't you have a much higher risk of f**king things up, to put it in simple terms.

The kit I'm going with is made by Zage. When Lyon R&D'd and built his setup, this kit didn't exist. So, I'll have it pretty easy (sorry Lyon ). The kit comes with a TD-04-HL which is a Mitsubishi OEM turbo that came with Saabs back in the day when Saabs were made (lol). Unfortunately, I don't believe it's a genuine Mitsu because the whole kit is $1300, and a used TD-04-HL is around $400. It just doesn't add up. Of course, a lot of clones are decent, but it's a risk I don't want to take. That being said, I'm going with an OEM Holset HX35, which comes from a Dodge Cummins (turbodiesel). Turbodiesels are extremely reliable, and this reliability comes from the fact that they have really nice turbos (many trucks have stock Garretts, INIs, and Holsets). A used HX35 is $700, and for reliability reasons I'd have it rebuilt, just in case. So the turbo will cost me roughly $1000. This is still cheaper than any good Garrett turbo, used or new.

I'll need the following parts to ensure that the small 1.5L engine doesn't turn into a Jihadi bomb:
  • Forged Crankshaft
  • Forged Camshaft
  • Reinforced Connecting Rods
  • Upgraded Valves and Springs
  • Most likely, new Pistons and rings (the stock piston has a coating already, making it ideal for boost, but chances are I will run into an issue eventually so I might as well upgrade it)

Now, this is all long term. I'm a sophomore in college, so I have a lot of bills to pay over the next 5-10 years. That being said, I plan to run the "stock" turbo kit for a few years, and start piecing together the other engine parts, so in 5 or so years I can have a 350WHP Fit. Of course, I'll need wider wheels, bigger brakes, new axles, etc. but for now I'm just gonna run my current setup and see where that takes me. I'm planning on buying an aftermarket traction control system, because the stock system just doesn't allow me to do anything (stability control kicks in when I floor it, regardless of if the road is wet or dry).

So, stay tuned. I'll be posting everything here

Old 05-14-2017, 03:03 AM
Banned
Update: @FittedOnEm is working with me to set me up with his Sprintex kit. If this goes through, I'll be going a different route. I'll still continue to update this thread because a lot of the turbo build still applies to a supercharger. Stay tuned.