Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Bad new body kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by feared
doesnt the maxima tail lights have reverse lights already?
Yes It does. I just us them with the turn signal lights for now

Old 04-26-2012, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blackndecker
Great thread....I love seeing this kind of innovation!

Regarding the reverse lights....instead of putting in some tacky LEDs, I think you should wire the Maxima rear turn signal to dual function as blinkers and reverse lights. That way the rear end will look clean. I would also be careful making the rear bumper too aggressive...you gotta remember this is a grocery getter, not an IS-F. I think it will look much better with a subtle, classy rear end. This body kit strikes me as more of a VIP build rather than a road race kit.
Thanks!

I us the the LEDs because there much brighter than the maxima lights plus im going for something unique. personally think LED brake lights look good with LED back up and turn signal lights. Also I'm trying to go for a sports sedan I guess a mix of both VIP and sports car when I build the rear I'll plan on making it less agresive than the pic

Old 04-27-2012, 04:08 AM
Originally Posted by whaaaat!
heres the latest pic so far
Subscribed ! Gonna check up on this build every now and then... although this is a Fit specific forum .. I'm liking this car very much. For some reason the front sort of reminds me of the new chevrolet camaro, haha. Looks agressive and i'm loving the lines on it. The next accord should look like this IMO .. Keep it up!

Old 04-29-2012, 02:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LeAJazz
Subscribed ! Gonna check up on this build every now and then... although this is a Fit specific forum .. I'm liking this car very much. For some reason the front sort of reminds me of the new chevrolet camaro, haha. Looks agressive and i'm loving the lines on it. The next accord should look like this IMO .. Keep it up!
Thanks a lot!
I actually end up on this forum because I typed (bad Honda body kit) in google and saw a pic of my car I didn't take. I wanted to hear what people thought about the new look

Old 04-29-2012, 02:27 PM
lol that's funny

Old 05-09-2012, 02:36 AM
5 Year Member
heres a more vip less race car rear end what you think?
Name:  newrearviptrunkbac2.png
Views: 237
Size:  1.01 MBName:  viprear.png
Views: 96
Size:  1.06 MBName:  newviptrunkside.png
Views: 94
Size:  1,023.3 KB

Old 05-09-2012, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
Hey What,

I have been following your thread since day one and I like the choices and decisions you have made.

The whole body is coming a long nicely. The only thing that didn't flow IMHO was the side skirt.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by timemachine
Hey What,

I have been following your thread since day one and I like the choices and decisions you have made.

The whole body is coming a long nicely. The only thing that didn't flow IMHO was the side skirt.
Thanks. Nice work on the pic. The skirt you put up looks good it looks easy to make and I'll see if I can make it work. As for now this week and last week I've been finding work. My right headlight came in on Monday so I hope to finish them by this weekend. Haha also my name is joe.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:09 PM
i'm with Timemachine, his photoshop looks like how i'd imagine it...with different wheels of course

Old 05-10-2012, 10:57 PM
Maybe you mentioned it...but, how do you plan to attach the fiberglass panels permanently to the rear quarter panels? Fiberglass will NOT permanently bond metal...it WILL crack after a year or so. This is why most wide body kit "rear over panels" are riveted on. Just curious...keep up the great work!

Old 05-13-2012, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blackndecker
Maybe you mentioned it...but, how do you plan to attach the fiberglass panels permanently to the rear quarter panels? Fiberglass will NOT permanently bond metal...it WILL crack after a year or so. This is why most wide body kit "rear over panels" are riveted on. Just curious...keep up the great work!
Well all of the premade wide body kits i've seen use body filler or something similar to hold the rear quarter. I originally thought the fiber glass would hold and if it did crack the body filler would keep the crack from reaching the paint and you say they are (riveted on) do they cover the seems with body filler?

Old 05-13-2012, 07:46 AM
Well all of the premade wide body kits i've seen use body filler or something similar to hold the rear quarter. I originally thought the fiber glass would hold and if it did crack the body filler would keep the crack from reaching the paint and you say they are (riveted on) do they cover the seems with body filler?
There is nothing magical about body filler...it will crack eventually. Average length of time I've seen on fiberglassforums.com is between 6 months and 2 years. The only foolproof method to add panels to a car is to weld metal to metal or bond fiberglass to fiberglass.

Re: riveting, if you use body filler over rivets the body filler will still crack. This is why the really nice wide body rear over fenders on s2000 track cars that you see in magazines do not fill over the rivets...they just rivet and leave. Honestly I'm surprised you didn't research how you were going to attach the panels before you started on this massive project.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
I see well I'll be searching for a solution if there is any.
How should I have molded the rear quarter?

Old 05-13-2012, 12:51 PM
I am not an expert and I hope I don't come off sounding like a know it all...

But, I have been working with fiberglass for a couple years now and am starting to get into making Gelcoat molds. For molding the rear quarter panels, you have some options...

The easiest would be to use painter's tape to tape off the area of the rear that you want to build up. Wax over the tape, and then you can lay down 3 layers of 3/4 oz chop strand mat over the tape. You will have to mold the rear panels slowly starting with the horizontal surfaces because gravity will tend to pull the heavy, wet resin soaked mat down the side of the car before it sets. An alternative to painter's tape is clear packing tape...but I think this will be much more frustrating because the wet, resin soaked mat will slide off of this even easier.

Allow the fiberglass to dry and set, this will give you a fiberglass surface that you can attach your wide body kit to. Obviously you will still have to rivet this molded surface down to the car somehow...you could make some flanges that extend along the outer edge (kinda like they do for aftermarket fender flares) to sink the rivets. Honestly, I think rivets look fine and are hardly noticeable on a black or dark car.

The cars you see at SEMA with molded on wide body kits are NOT daily driven...they are trailered and don't have the stresses that a daily driver will see.

Lastly, and I am not condoning this type of behavior...and I take no responsibility for your actions, but if you happened to go and rent a similar model Honda Accord from a rental car place for a few days you could build your chop strand mat mold off that car and not have to destroy the progress you made on your own car. If you take your time and tape the donor car off well, there shouldn't be any damage incurred using this technique.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks a lot blackndecker for your info. But Im already to far into this project. I'm going to continue with molding the glass into the body until I figure out what I'll do with the rear quarter and doors

Old 05-13-2012, 03:51 PM
What I suggested above (i.e. getting a donor car and molding the panels) could easily be accomplished without a major set back in your work. You could then carve the panels on your car to have attachment seams.

You will kick yourself after spending what appears to be the better part of a year (and likely enduring much ridicule behind the wheel) only to have all your hardwork and money (materials, paint, etc) ruined when cracks develop. Trust me, body filler will not last long on a daily driver. Plus, you will not be able to sell the car with cracked body filler smeared all over it...so you may as well do it once and do it right. My 2 cents.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah I know what you mean I'll need to plan it out before I make any moves. For now I'm working on the deck spoiler Im about to fiberglass but I will also not be attaching it to the car yet. Hahaha Also If had thought of selling the car in the future I wouldn't have started this project

Old 05-13-2012, 05:19 PM
Yeah I know what you mean I'll need to plan it out before I make any moves. For now I'm working on the deck spoiler Im about to fiberglass but I will also not be attaching it to the car yet.
Sweet...I can't wait to see the progress.

Hahaha Also If had thought of selling the car in the future I wouldn't have started this project
Yeah, I never planned to sell my Fit either...but plans change. I got a real sports car and no longer have room in the stable for the Fit. I could imagine a scenario where having a nice car (worth several thousand dollars) that's covered in cracked body filler that you can't sell would become a frustrating experience. This is why many people either tape off the area or make molds of the body panels so that the original car (and paint) are not harmed in the process.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:27 PM
5 Year Member
Well guys this project is going to take a lot longer than I expected so far I would have to cover the doors with fg and cut out so of my rear quarter the reason. like you said my car is coming off as a VIP car no hard feelings but I think rivetes would look good on a race car so I will make a rear quarter panel with a seam just like the front

Old 05-13-2012, 07:05 PM
my buddy had a widebody DSM years ago and had to have the kit riveted on because the body filler cracked within 2 months of driving on local roads.

Quick Reply: Bad new body kit