Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

What makes you rethink your fit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
Lately, I've been poking at the thought of trading up but each time I get behind the wheel of the Fit and hit a set of bends, I shake my head and catch myself going "Naah..." I do definitely want to do something about this lack of torque though, having to rev up to 4.5+ grand to really get moving got old long ago.

Every time I see a Genesis Coupe 2.0T Track, MINI R56 MCS, VW GTI, Dodge 5.7 Challenger, BMW 128I, Subaru WRX, Mazda RX-8 (torqueless yes, but fun car), or even a damn Volvo S40 T5 (LOL) I begin to think about possibly switching up for one...

So for now, I'm saving up for mods on the Fit. Its been stock for almost 4 years and now its time for a change... That or find a Mitsubishi Starion or FC chassis Mazda RX-7 as a project car. :D

Old 08-04-2011, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member
I wouldn't say I have a need for speed lol but it's nice to have the option And I'm definitely aware of how un-bulletproof I am...

I just always want something different to be honest.. My fit is my 4th car lol.. I know in all actually I'll keep my fit for a long time because I do truly love it and it's fiscally sensible..

Old 08-04-2011, 10:32 PM
Oli
30 miles of two lane black top to work in the morning says I love my FIT! I have an XL-7 for the snow, so I don't need another car. I wish my wife had one, though...

Old 08-04-2011, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by drock305
I wouldn't say I have a need for speed lol but it's nice to have the option And I'm definitely aware of how un-bulletproof I am...

I just always want something different to be honest.. My fit is my 4th car lol.. I know in all actually I'll keep my fit for a long time because I do truly love it and it's fiscally sensible..
Good for you. Maybe part of getting old but I've seen, read, heard of young ones getting hurt behind the wheels where driver skills don't match the car's abilities. Or with the "let's see how fast I can go" then oopps "I can't take this curve, what do I do now?" mindset.

Heheh... "Be one with the car..." OB1 would say... lol Good luck! N be safe so the rest of us are :-)

Last edited by Subie; 08-04-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Subie
Good for you. Maybe part of getting old but I've seen, read, heard of young ones getting hurt behind the wheels where driver skills don't match the car's abilities. Or with the "Watch this!" mindset.
Fixed that last bit for ya. Most commonly used two words before an accident. haha

I do also believe that people in general (not just kids) should drive cars that match their capabilities. No 16 year old kid needs a Mustang GT/5.0 as their first car, that just has bad news written all over it and no 70 year old driver needs a huge land yatch sedan (Cadillac Brougham for example) as a daily driver when they can barely handle keeping up with traffic.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
Drock this is only your fourth?

Its my sixth.

In 3 years.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
Haha I was actually in the car when a friend of mine did about 45-50 mph around 15-20 mph curve.. Lol needless to say we didn't get ALL the way around the bend.. The whole time I was screaming SLOW DOWN!! and he kept screaming I GOT THIS!!!!

Totaled it.. Almost smashed into a telephone pole..

Old 08-05-2011, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by whaap
I don't like the cheap material used in the interior of the Fit and I have a strong dislike for the black color in the Sport. If Honda would import their leather interior model here in the states I would trade the Fit in for it (as long as it wasn't black). I would also opt for the moon roof if it were available.
Pretty interesting. This thread got me and my wife talking about her Fit. After all was said and done we decided to go out this Saturday to check out the Rav-4 and the CR-V. I'm looking forward to a tan leather interior and a moon roof.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:24 AM
5 Year Member
My weekend car is a E46 M3 and I tend to over rev the Fit and sometimes going to a curve too fast. I love the Fit for it's gas mileage.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
Fixed that last bit for ya. Most commonly used two words before an accident. haha

I do also believe that people in general (not just kids) should drive cars that match their capabilities. No 16 year old kid needs a Mustang GT/5.0 as their first car, that just has bad news written all over it and no 70 year old driver needs a huge land yatch sedan (Cadillac Brougham for example) as a daily driver when they can barely handle keeping up with traffic.
Good add-on Hootie. So true. Now you're getting me started on pet peeves. Yeah sometimes I think there should be sort a like a compatibility-type screening or limits in the interest of "public safety and self preservation".
- Sti's, EVO's, 5.0's, etc. should not be given as high school grad presents.
- Parallel parking, back-alley, fast food drive thru and back up skills test for purchase of full-sized SUVs required. Poor yellow guide posts never stay yellow or straight. :-)
- Reflex/reaction time testing for both young and old.
- Guess which tire is flat test
- freeway merge test
Heheh... I'm sure there's more...

Originally Posted by drock305
Haha I was actually in the car when a friend of mine did about 45-50 mph around 15-20 mph curve.. Lol needless to say we didn't get ALL the way around the bend.. The whole time I was screaming SLOW DOWN!! and he kept screaming I GOT THIS!!!!

Totaled it.. Almost smashed into a telephone pole..
Be careful bud. Most of the time the best of cars won't save a driver that don't have the skills. Seems like slowly getting there though... with all gadgets being added on nowadays - ABS, ESC, lane change warnings, auto-parallel parking, etc... What about proper driver training? Sorry, just old school trained... Hard to beat experience and it only comes with time and not training.

Last edited by Subie; 08-05-2011 at 01:06 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Subie
Good add-on Hootie. So true. Now you're getting me started on pet peeves. Yeah sometimes I think there should be sort a like a compatibility-type screening or limits in the interest of "public safety and self preservation".
- Sti's, EVO's, 5.0's, etc. should not be given as high school grad presents.
- Parallel parking, back-alley, fast food drive thru and back up skills test for purchase of full-sized SUVs required. Poor yellow guide posts never stay yellow or straight. :-)
- Reflex/reaction time testing for both young and old.
- Guess which tire is flat test
- freeway merge test
Heheh... I'm sure there's more...
I totally agree, in fact I actually wish there was a separate license classing system that would allow the driver to only be drive vehicles grouped in certain power to weight ratio and vehicle dimension ranges.

So in other words like Smart Four2s, Fits, MINI Coopers(Just-a-Coopers, non-turbo/supercharged), Toyata Yarii, etc. would be one class due to power to weight and size. BMW M3s, Camaro SSs, Challenger SRT-8s, etc. would be in another class to their power and size...yadda, yadda, yadda.

In addition to that, I believe that people should have to periodically go through refresher courses of Driver's Ed. Not really classic work, just a simple review on if you know what *insert signs and signals* mean and an old fashioned road test.

Be careful bud. Most of the time the best of cars won't save a driver that don't have the skills. Seems like slowly getting there though... with all gadgets being added on nowadays - ABS, ESC, lane change warnings, auto-parallel parking, etc... What about proper driver training? Sorry, just old school trained... Hard to beat experience and it only comes with time and not training.
Again, I have to agree with you. Today technology in cars are of course enabling manufactures to create safer cars but I honestly think that some of these safety features can creating too much of a "safety blanket" for some drivers.

Things like Lane Keep Assist are great to have if you do a lot of highway driving in highly congested areas especially when people love to hang in your "blind spot", but when some tool is texting while driving and using the system as a "lane bumper" if you will then that kind of makes the system redundant. (Seen a guy do this in a F10 BMW 535I M Sport, would have been a waste of a great car and maybe other people's lives if he would have veered off the road)

Anywho, thats that. Back on topic for the OP please. lol

Old 08-05-2011, 02:27 AM
5 Year Member
To add on the current discussion...if someone buys a Hyundai/Camry/Sebring/etc...they should have their license revoked as its clear they don't care about driving.

If you don't care, you shouldn't be doing something

Old 08-05-2011, 02:35 AM
5 Year Member
Easy Mike... Don't lump everyone together. Car decisions don't always reflect the person's character... just decisions, good or bad... Captialism and free enterprise...

Old 08-05-2011, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
To add on the current discussion...if someone buys a Hyundai/Camry/Sebring/etc...they should have their license revoked as its clear they don't care about driving.

If you don't care, you shouldn't be doing something
I'd love to see you (or anyone else try to revoke my license for that matter) try that because I'm highly temped on scooping a (Hyundai) Genesis Coupe as a daily with part time auto cross duties. :P

Last edited by Hootie; 08-05-2011 at 02:42 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:08 AM
I love my GD3, however, I get just a twinge of regret when I see a Lancer Evo or WRX...then forget it when I fill up the gas tank.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:50 AM
Been there, done that. Wanted a car that's actually comfortable for me.

Traded it, bit the bullet on resale, haven't looked back. If I need to haul something, I'll rent a truck or buy someone a case of beer and use an actual truck bed. Gas/insurance costs don't really concern me (I bought another very-cheap car because I like to pretty much not think about daily and monthly expenses that much. I do get a lot of "Dude, why are you driving that? You could afford a Bimmer!" I could, but should I? Nah.)

Better comfort, better power (tC is still slow by any sort of sport standards), better highway handling and comfort (I do a lot of road-trips), and it should last a long time. And, I finally have a sunroof again, as well as the joy of being back in a manual.

The only serious thing the Fit has on it is steering feel, which probably has a lot to do with the 400-500 lbs weight difference and the much shorter wheelbase.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:11 PM
my best friends all have subarus, one has a 2004 wrx wagon that has a 2.2l kit and its under tuned right now, and its still pushing 280 lb's of torque and my other friend has a 08 sti! it makes me cry every time i switch from driving their cars to mine... :( but then again i dont need to speed around, i would probably get a ticket in those cars

Old 08-05-2011, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jmag310
my best friends all have subarus, one has a 2004 wrx wagon that has a 2.2l kit and its under tuned right now, and its still pushing 280 lb's of torque and my other friend has a 08 sti! it makes me cry every time i switch from driving their cars to mine... :( but then again i dont need to speed around, i would probably get a ticket in those cars
I'm the only one of my friends rolling with under 200 HP. :(

As for the age discussion earlier that I missed out on. My first car was an E39 M5 BMW and I handled that car well at 16. No tickets, no wrecks, and no problems.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
I was highly considering a CR-Z. Only for the styling. Which I am CRAZY about. But then the practicality issues come raging back, like the lack of space, a hybrid that doesn't really get good mileage, and the massive blind spots.

Fit for me.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
I'd love to see you (or anyone else try to revoke my license for that matter) try that because I'm highly temped on scooping a (Hyundai) Genesis Coupe as a daily with part time auto cross duties. :P
Trans doesn't feel good, interior is meh, and its a Hyundai

Quick Reply: What makes you rethink your fit?