Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

2016 Honda HRV

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
The JDM Vezel S weighs 2667 lbs. or about 150 lbs more than a JDM fit. The US version HRV might weigh as much as 150 lbs more than the JDM Vezel, but it is still supposed to be 600 lbs less then the 3305-3545 lbs CRV. So with 130 HP it will be about a second slower than a CRV, but not terrible.

Here is a review of the Vezel S that states it accellerates quite well.

Honda Vezel S Review:

Old 04-26-2014, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TCroly
The JDM Vezel S weighs 2667 lbs. or about 150 lbs more than a JDM fit. The US version HRV might weigh as much as 150 lbs more than the JDM Vezel, but it is still supposed to be 600 lbs less then the 3305-3545 lbs CRV. So with 130 HP it will be about a second slower than a CRV, but not terrible.

Here is a review of the Vezel S that states it accellerates quite well.

Honda Vezel S Review:
I think in Japan the regular 1.5 engine might be ok but in the U.S. this just won't be feasible. Acceleration is king on U.S. roadways. There's a Honda insider over on Temple of VTEC who reports that the Honda HR-V will get a 155 hp / 137 lb-ft Earth Dreams DOHC 1.8 engine (same engine for the '15 Civic) with an optional 1.3 or 1.5 Turbo good for 175 hp. We'll see later this year if this pans out. But the Earth Dreams DOHC 1.8 would be more than enough engine to propel the HR-V plus provide excellent fuel economy.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FIT4LIFE
I think in Japan the regular 1.5 engine might be ok but in the U.S. this just won't be feasible. Acceleration is king on U.S. roadways. There's a Honda insider over on Temple of VTEC who reports that the Honda HR-V will get a 155 hp / 137 lb-ft Earth Dreams DOHC 1.8 engine (same engine for the '15 Civic) with an optional 1.3 or 1.5 Turbo good for 175 hp. We'll see later this year if this pans out. But the Earth Dreams DOHC 1.8 would be more than enough engine to propel the HR-V plus provide excellent fuel economy.
I agree that the 1.8 Civic engine would be a better choice for the HR-V. And I have heard the rumors of one of the turbos being used. Unfortunately, it looks like it will be a CVT only. So it is a no go for me whichever engine is chosen.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TCroly
I agree that the 1.8 Civic engine would be a better choice for the HR-V. And I have heard the rumors of one of the turbos being used. Unfortunately, it looks like it will be a CVT only. So it is a no go for me whichever engine is chosen.
Before saying no try driving it first. You might change your mind after a test drive. CVT's are vastly better now than they used to be and the Earth Dreams CVT that Honda employs is currently the best one on the market. And CVT's will continue to get better and better moving forward.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:52 AM
Ein
5 Year Member
I always wanted a AWD Fit.

If anyone can read Japanese, you can probably find the specs on it.

ƒ”ƒFƒ[ƒ‹ | Honda

Old 05-26-2014, 11:18 PM
Wife is currently in Japan. She says the Fit is OK, but she loves the Vezel / HR-V…

Here's the best "pretty pictures" link I've found.

Midway down this page has a diagram with most of the dimensions. e.g., 185mm = 7.3 inches ground clearance.

Throw any of the URLs into Google Translate and you'll get a pretty good idea what they're talking about :)

Old 05-27-2014, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by idletickover
Wife is currently in Japan. She says the Fit is OK, but she loves the Vezel / HR-V…

Here's the best "pretty pictures" link I've found.

Midway down this page has a diagram with most of the dimensions. e.g., 185mm = 7.3 inches ground clearance.

Throw any of the URLs into Google Translate and you'll get a pretty good idea what they're talking about :)
Unfortunately when we get this, it will have a dumb down interior version, not the nicer interior layout as shown on this link. Japan always get the nice looking interior and they pay more for it.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:25 AM
5 Year Member
That looks pretty slick. I don't think it's going to look that cool when it makes it's way over here though. :{

Old 05-27-2014, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by Emirii
That looks pretty slick. I don't think it's going to look that cool when it makes it's way over here though. :{
Two thoughts:

– I agree, the States' version never looks as luxurious/cool as the JDM version.

– But when I compare the interiors for the Fit, judging from what we've seen from the auto shows, at least in the leather version, I don't think they're that different. May be a consequence of their "world car" approach.

For reference:

Here's the "pretty pictures" for the Fit.

– And here's the "diagram page" for the Fit.

More interior colors, etc. Probably no folding mirrors… but it all looks much the same to me.

Notice the ground clearance difference with the Vezel/HR-V. 5.3" for the Fit, vs. 7.3" for the HR-V. We worry about such things in the Sate O' Maine :)

Edit: Everyone prolly already knows this, but examining the diagrams, it dawns on me that the HR-V is quite a bit larger than the Fit… 13.1" greater overall length, 3" greater wheelbase, 3000 vs. 2500 GVW, etc.

Last edited by idletickover; 05-27-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:33 PM
I was fortunate to be in Japan when the Vezel (HR-V) was released. Having sat in both it and the new Fit I am all but sold on the HR-V. Of course I will test drive them both, but I preferred the higher position of the HR-V and it only seemed to sacrifice an inch or so in cargo height while the room behind the rear seat is quite a bit bigger than the Fit.

Still disappointed that Honda hasn't decided to release the hybrid Fit or HR-V here. Their new hybrid tech yields much greater fuel efficiency than that used in the Insight, Civic Hybrid, or CR-Z. Also wish they hadn't given the HR-V the cheap headlights. At least offer the LED headlights on the top trim! Watch them save that for an Acura version. :(

Old 06-11-2014, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by Ganbare
I was fortunate to be in Japan when the Vezel (HR-V) was released. Having sat in both it and the new Fit I am all but sold on the HR-V. Of course I will test drive them both, but I preferred the higher position of the HR-V and it only seemed to sacrifice an inch or so in cargo height while the room behind the rear seat is quite a bit bigger than the Fit.

Still disappointed that Honda hasn't decided to release the hybrid Fit or HR-V here. Their new hybrid tech yields much greater fuel efficiency than that used in the Insight, Civic Hybrid, or CR-Z. Also wish they hadn't given the HR-V the cheap headlights. At least offer the LED headlights on the top trim! Watch them save that for an Acura version. :(
HR-V coming Winter 2014 USA. No Hybrid yet.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...15_Honda_HR-V/

Last edited by SR45; 06-11-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by Ganbare
-- SNIP --
Similar sentiments expressed by the Boss...

She sat in them last Thursday at Aoyama... "Fit is OK, but I really like the Vezel/HR-V."

If you're really anxious, they have demo days when you can take 'em out for a spin :)

(Apologies, don't know how to upload a jpeg.)

Old 06-12-2014, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by specboy
Looking at the HR-V - It's not a bad vehicle and if it can come in not too far behind the FIT (but ahead of the CR-V) in Fuel economy, I think it has a possibility. Here in VT, there are a few vehicles similar in size/type that are doing pretty well. The Subaru Crosstrek and the Buick Encore. The Crosstrek is 148hp and is 3100lbs. I've driven it and while it's not a WRX, it has more than enough pep for it's size. The Encore, on the other hand is 3300lbs (almost CR-V Weight) and only has 138hp. If the HR-V could come in around 3000lbs, even the base 130hp shouldn't be too bad. (not quite as zippy as a Fit but it shouldn't be awful.)

for reference: the weight/power ratio of the FIT is 22lbs/hp with an Auto.
The Encore is 24, the Crosstrek is 20, the CR-V is 19. To Maintain the same power/weight ratio as the fit, they would need to keep the weight around 2900-3000 lbs. It wouldn't surprise me if they tuned the engine for a little more power (maybe 5-10) which would help as well.

This vehicle (Like other crossovers of it's size) aren't for everyone but here in VT(and I'm sure elsewhere), where adding AWD to a car makes it much more usable "year round", it would likely be a decent seller. (at the right price point of course).

~SB
Encore is turbo though, it's torque will probably kick in at somewhere around 1800rpm helping it feel a lot more peppy

I Havn't really looked into the vezel/hr-v but if headroom and cargo space aren't too affected compared to the fit, it should be a great all around vehicle

Last edited by connor1791; 06-12-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by connor1791
Encore is turbo though, it's torque will probably kick in at somewhere around 1800rpm helping it feel a lot more peppy

I Havn't really looked into the vezel/hr-v but if headroom and cargo space aren't too affected compared to the fit, it should be a great all around vehicle
Hope I don't get kicked-off for this... but whereas someone described the Vezel as 100 lbs of styling on a 10lb car...

The Encore looks to me as though it was constipated, someone kicked it in the butt, and it's still constipated!

Edit: Unfortunately, if you go over a big bump it's liable to blow-up!

Last edited by idletickover; 06-12-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:41 PM
The HRV will sell just as good as the fit because Americans love their stupid crossovers

http://www.honda.co.jp/VEZEL/

Old 06-13-2014, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by mecevans
The HRV will sell just as good as the fit because Americans love their stupid crossovers

ƒ”ƒFƒ[ƒ‹ | Honda
Entonces, Mexicanos se gustan "smart crossovers or smart cars, or maybe stupid cars?" :wavey:

Seriously, as I said in a previous post: "Notice the ground clearance difference with the Vezel/HR-V. 5.3" for the Fit, vs. 7.3" for the HR-V. We worry about such things in the Sate O' Maine "

Last edited by idletickover; 06-13-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:06 PM
Whoops... mecevans... I assumed Monterrey MX... not CA... lo siento... my apologies. Which is it?

Seriously, why do you think Americans "love their crossovers?"

Old 06-13-2014, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by mecevans
Crossovers have surged in popularity everywhere, so it's not just the US that loves them. I think a major drive for Honda to develop the new HR-V was the success Nissan has had in Europe with both the Juke and Qashqai.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member
I personally cannot wait to test drive the HR-V. More torque and AWD is what sold me. Before buying the fit I was in the market for a AWD CR-V but the price point and my job at the time has limited me to buy a more eco box car. Fit is great wit its spacious design but lacks the California power.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:57 AM
If the HR-V has magic seats and if it isn't that much more expensive than the fit, I might opt for it. The only thing I wish it will have is a sun/moon roof.

Quick Reply: 2016 Honda HRV