Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

2016 Honda HRV

Old 04-07-2014, 11:15 PM
Nobody's Talking About The HR-V?

Personally, I think it's uglier than sin…

As someone said, "It looks like 100lbs of styling on a 10lb car!"

Old 04-08-2014, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
I mentioned it in another thread around here, because I was thinking to hold off (from buying '15 Fit) until both were available for comparison. But what was shown on AutoBlog today was absolutely hideous (hmm those "concept" photos are from last year's Detroit show). Surely it will look more like the Vezel at the Japan auto show.

Last edited by xorbe; 04-08-2014 at 12:22 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:23 AM
5 Year Member
When the Urban SUV concept was shown in 2013, I was sure that would be my next Honda. But the production Vezel was a bit of a styling disappointment. Then when I found out the production HR-V was to be CVT only, I lost all interest in his vehicle.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:50 AM
I guess that's why nobody's talking about it... don't like the mechanicals and don't like the sheet metal.

Heck, they could have used their 3-D printer with the CR-Z... grown it a bit higher and longer and it would have looked better than that corrugated mess, IMO :violin:

Old 04-08-2014, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
i didn't like the looks of the 15 fit when i first saw it, but it grew on me. pretty much the same thing that happens for me with all redesigns.
i'm liking the all wheel drive option, and the hybrid option is claiming 61-63 mpg.
i flirted with a prius c before settling on the fit, but wasn't quite ready for a hybrid. now that i am getting 38mpg in the fit, i want more mpg !
so i will keep an open mind on the hr-v

Old 04-08-2014, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by dlivry7
i flirted with a prius c before settling on the fit, but wasn't quite ready for a hybrid. now that i am getting 38mpg in the fit, i want more mpg !
so i will keep an open mind on the hr-v
I've got a Prius C! Love it. But the car does not have enough practical space and of course hybrids are not as fun to drive, so adding a 2015 fit to my lineup!

Old 04-08-2014, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by amy_wilhelmina
........adding a 2015 fit to my lineup!
Once your new Fit arrives, don't forget to post your driving impressions. It would be interesting to know how it performs at higher elevations.:D

Old 04-08-2014, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by ROTTBOY
Once your new Fit arrives, don't forget to post your driving impressions. It would be interesting to know how it performs at higher elevations.:D
Yes, you and I are basically at different ends of the elevation spectrum in the U.S.! I often drive relatives up Mt. Evans which is over 14,000 feet so I will try it in the Fit! Admittedly, though, I have seen 20 year old minivans parked up there ;)

Old 04-08-2014, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
It's not about to go many places with 130hp. Understandable with the Fit, but really, a crossover with that little? The CRV makes 185, and that's nowhere near "quick".

Probably a 14 second 0-60.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
There was chatter about the possibility of a 1.5T for the Vezel / HR-V

Old 04-09-2014, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by amy_wilhelmina
I've got a Prius C! Love it. But the car does not have enough practical space and of course hybrids are not as fun to drive, so adding a 2015 fit to my lineup!
what is your mpg ? i had figured how many miles i would have had to drive before the extra cost of the c started paying off, can't remember what that was though. as i have gotten older, i view cars more as a tool i need than caring much about looks, speed. (owned a honda element lol)
so the hybrid hrv might be in my future, although it seems it will be at least next year before it is available in the states.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:19 PM
what is your mpg ? i had figured how many miles i would have had to drive before the extra cost of the c started paying off, can't remember what that was though.
I think it is rated at 50 combined but I average more like 60. This is a guesstimation, it really varies depending on the terrain. In Denver there are lots of hills, so one way to work I get 45 mpg and on the way back I get 65-70. Driving up into a more mountainous area we got ~35 mpg but on the way back it maxed out at 99.9 mpg and stayed there! Like on a 45 min. drive. So if you live in a flat area averaging 65 mpg would be doable, especially if it's mostly city driving. The C is for city, after all. :thumbups:

It's an amazing commuter car. Affordable as hybrids get with amazing MPG. Not an exciting car, but it's exactly what we wanted. Not much practical space though, but OK for groceries.

From what I've read, and maybe this changed, I thought they were probably not going to offer the hybrid version of the HR-V in the US? Like they decided not to for the Fit? Really too bad, we need a hybrid SUV/crossover that gets really good MPG. I don't understand paying large amounts of money for a big hybrid that gets 33 MPG or so.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:29 AM
5 Year Member
honda is "thinking about" bringing the hybrid fit and hr-v to the states. not sure why they wouldn't.
81 mpg for the fit and 61 for the hr-v seems a no brainer with the number of prius sales.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:31 PM
honda is "thinking about" bringing the hybrid fit and hr-v to the states. not sure why they wouldn't.
81 mpg for the fit and 61 for the hr-v seems a no brainer with the number of prius sales.
Notwithstanding the impenetrable, inscrutable Japanese decision processes... that the Insight was relatively unsuccessful... coupled with the large premium they'd no doubt have to charge... they may not think there's a sufficient market.

Albeit, for a company that brings over the CRZ, Accord Crosstour, etc., I have my doubts about the quality of Honda's market research.

Personally, I'd jump at a hybrid version of the Fit... at no more than a $2000 premium. (I believe the JDM pay the equivalent of a $3000 premium, but there the Japanese government returns a substantial rebate.)

Soooo... does one buy a Fit now.... wait for the Weasel / HR-V .... or even wait for the possible intro of hybrids?

Old 04-11-2014, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by idletickover
Soooo... does one buy a Fit now.... wait for the Weasel / HR-V .... or even wait for the possible intro of hybrids?
If they offered a hybrid Fit I would be all over it. Looks like they left the trunk alone in the Japanese hybrid version, which is great. I'm assuming that the magic seat function may have been removed or not as useful, since they would need to put a big battery there.

If you're like me, you want a Fit NOW, then sell later if they do intoduce the hybrid version!! :p

Old 04-12-2014, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member
the prius c starts at 19, tops out at 24,500. they should be able to easily get the fit hybrid into that price range.
plus it is advertised to get 30 more mpg than the c

my fit is a few days from it's first bday, so i am in no hurry !

Old 04-17-2014, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
Old 04-18-2014, 10:57 PM
Old 04-19-2014, 06:16 AM
We happen to have a 2014 Prius c and a 2012 Fit Sport. It's a perfect combo because when we need to haul people or stuff, we've got the Fit. Otherwise, my partner gets great MPG in the Prius c on his longer commute to work.

The Prius c is a little cramped for our not-at-all-tall 3-person family, and it doesn't haul a lot of stuff, but it's comfortable in its own way and it does get amazing MPG. It has more creature comforts like automatic climate control and Bluetooth, but it was also about $8K more than the Fit Sport which we bought used back in September.

As a family, when we need MPGs, we take the Prius, but otherwise we roll in the Fit. I would say if you can have one of each, you've got a pretty sweet small car combo.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ikutoisahobo
It's not about to go many places with 130hp. Understandable with the Fit, but really, a crossover with that little? The CRV makes 185, and that's nowhere near "quick".

Probably a 14 second 0-60.

Looking at the HR-V - It's not a bad vehicle and if it can come in not too far behind the FIT (but ahead of the CR-V) in Fuel economy, I think it has a possibility. Here in VT, there are a few vehicles similar in size/type that are doing pretty well. The Subaru Crosstrek and the Buick Encore. The Crosstrek is 148hp and is 3100lbs. I've driven it and while it's not a WRX, it has more than enough pep for it's size. The Encore, on the other hand is 3300lbs (almost CR-V Weight) and only has 138hp. If the HR-V could come in around 3000lbs, even the base 130hp shouldn't be too bad. (not quite as zippy as a Fit but it shouldn't be awful.)

for reference: the weight/power ratio of the FIT is 22lbs/hp with an Auto.
The Encore is 24, the Crosstrek is 20, the CR-V is 19. To Maintain the same power/weight ratio as the fit, they would need to keep the weight around 2900-3000 lbs. It wouldn't surprise me if they tuned the engine for a little more power (maybe 5-10) which would help as well.

This vehicle (Like other crossovers of it's size) aren't for everyone but here in VT(and I'm sure elsewhere), where adding AWD to a car makes it much more usable "year round", it would likely be a decent seller. (at the right price point of course).

~SB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 Honda HRV