Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

2016 Honda HRV

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 02:02 PM
Old 06-18-2015, 09:34 AM
5 Year Member
News: National Post, 2016 Honda HRV Review

Very favourable review. Surprisingly there is little mention (twice) of the Fit. Will the HRV steal customers away from the CRV and Fit?

Now that gas is much cheaper than last year I wonder if Fit buyers will move upmarket to the HRV, or much higher.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:00 AM
5 Year Member
Sure, why not? After all, we all know that cheap gas is here to stay, and gas prices will never rise again, right?

Old 06-18-2015, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
I'm unsure if the Saudi King Salman is smarter than most North Americans or if we should admit a general lack of foresight for North American car buyers. Here in Canada with the advent of cheaper gas, sales of compact cars dropped 5% and subcompacts dropped 6% for 1Q2015.

I still want to be as efficient with gas as possible.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
So do I. First, I hate spending money on gas. It wouldn't matter to me if gas were $.38/gallon (and I can remember when it was). Second, I am convinced that our carbon fuel based civilization is no longer (and never really was) sustainable. Third, as a design engineer, I hate waste and inefficiency on principle.

People have short memories.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 06-18-2015 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:06 AM
People have incredibly short memories and american car culture does not prioritize fuel-efficiency the way it should.

That said, I love the look of the HR-V and am pushing my mom to get one as she still has 2 kids to cart around and is looking for a new car. It's quite a nice looking car and the AWD would be perfect for her Canadian winters!

Old 06-19-2015, 03:47 PM
I'm waiting for an opportunity to sit in one side-by-side with a Fit. I prefer the size of the Fit, but if the HRV has more head and legroom I might go that way and take the 5MPG hit. Unfortunately, the taller profile of many CUVs doesn't yield additional room inside and I'm wondering if this is the case with the HRV. I'm spoiled by my xB1!

Old 06-19-2015, 04:28 PM
Curb Weight of the 2015 FIT EX: 2573 and 130HP at 6600rpm DOHC

Curb Weight of 2016 HR-V EX: 2917 and 141HP @ 6500rpms SOHC

Also keep in mind 93.8cub/ft with the 2015 FIT versus 96.1 of the HRV, we are talking marginal gain in room. Also an extra 11 HP to carry an extra ~345 pounds seems a bit cheap on increase...

FWIW, The power to weight ratio is not that much better for the given size increase of the HRV in my eyes. Also the overall cubic foot gain is trivial. Seems Honda is trying too hard to balance economy with size. For about the same cost (and FAIP same size) you can get a more fuel efficient car.

Now if the HRV had another 20-30HP and 8-10cubic/ft more room than the FIT, then I'd say hey alright the size difference is worth considering if you need it.

Me, I'll stick with my FIT.

The only thing I'm a bit ticked off is now the HRV-EX has heated side mirrors, winkers, and heated seats STANDARD. Effing Honda! Should have done that in the FIT! >:

Old 08-01-2015, 01:55 PM
I recently traded my '13 Fit Sport for the HR-V and I can definitely say that the HR-V and Fit are not in the same class. The HR-V's quality and handling does not feel like an entry level car, when compared to the Fit. You can read my review here. I'll add some pictures later.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ml#post1315265

Old 08-02-2015, 08:33 PM
Here are the pics I promised.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Slowfosho
I recently traded my '13 Fit Sport for the HR-V and I can definitely say that the HR-V and Fit are not in the same class. The HR-V's quality and handling does not feel like an entry level car, when compared to the Fit. You can read my review here. I'll add some pictures later.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ml#post1315265
Hey slowfosho, nice to see another member with an HRV here. I'm waiting for the delivery of my 2016 orchid white HRV! Old member here!
Had a GD3 Fit that I traded for a 2013 CRV Ex...now Im trading it for an HRV Ex. I missed my FIT so much but wanted to keep the AWD so the HRV was just a natural move to me.
Hope Ill like it as much as I liked my FIT.
I know Mugen already has some parts out for the HRV/Vezel. Have you found other aftermarket companies that make parts for the HRV. Id really like an N1 Spoon exhaust but I dont know if its available for the HRV?

Old 08-09-2015, 03:33 PM
HR-V is awesome! might replace my wife's fit eventually.

but its not as awesome as my 2012 fit

Last edited by space egg; 08-11-2015 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
Just picked up my HR-V a few days ago.

I used to own a ge8 Fit 2009 manual base. I got 175k miles out of it before I got bored an sold it last January.

Fast forward to now, I have a kid and the family life has begun. I picked up a 2016 HR-V Ex Manual.
Just did 1400 miles with it and I can say the following. Mexican made cars are shit. The engine and transmission are made in Japan on this car which is something to look forward to. The Rest of it is mostly north american. The Quality of finish is sub par to Honda. The problems I have encountered so far, at 80mph the left front door sometimes has a weird noise that comes from it like a door seal but everything seems tight. The interior kick panel on the driver's side is missing one clip to hold it down. The touch screen system is mehh at best all the infotainment does not work well with android. When you plug your phone in to charge it immediately goes into a honda link mode and wont let you use your phone. Everything has to be done via blue tooth in order to by pass it. The rear magic seats dont lock into place when lifting the bottoms up without the use of force. And the paint has got to be the worst paint I have ever seen that came on a brand new car. I have orange peel on parts of the hood like you wouldn't believe it. I took a paint gauge to all panels and it's roughly similar across the whole car but this looks like crap.

I like the car overall, it drives decent in this sector of what's available, it is not the fastest. It will do 100mph, not with high mpgs but will do it if necessary. It is happiest around 70-77mph where it gets high 30s. Seats are decent, I wish the front lower portion of the seat tilted but the whole seat bottom moves up and down. Not a fan of that. I can't get the most comfortable position in this car but it is manageable. The stupid electronic parking brake I do not like as it will fail sooner or later. And the lack of AWD with Manual is just plain stupid in this category. Why? Subaru can do it all day why can't Honda? Some people just refuse to get a CVT.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by MiMi1
Just picked up my HR-V a few days ago.

I used to own a ge8 Fit 2009 manual base. I got 175k miles out of it before I got bored an sold it last January.

Fast forward to now, I have a kid and the family life has begun. I picked up a 2016 HR-V Ex Manual.
Just did 1400 miles with it and I can say the following. Mexican made cars are shit. The engine and transmission are made in Japan on this car which is something to look forward to. The Rest of it is mostly north american. The Quality of finish is sub par to Honda. The problems I have encountered so far, at 80mph the left front door sometimes has a weird noise that comes from it like a door seal but everything seems tight. The interior kick panel on the driver's side is missing one clip to hold it down. The touch screen system is mehh at best all the infotainment does not work well with android. When you plug your phone in to charge it immediately goes into a honda link mode and wont let you use your phone. Everything has to be done via blue tooth in order to by pass it. The rear magic seats dont lock into place when lifting the bottoms up without the use of force. And the paint has got to be the worst paint I have ever seen that came on a brand new car. I have orange peel on parts of the hood like you wouldn't believe it. I took a paint gauge to all panels and it's roughly similar across the whole car but this looks like crap.

I like the car overall, it drives decent in this sector of what's available, it is not the fastest. It will do 100mph, not with high mpgs but will do it if necessary. It is happiest around 70-77mph where it gets high 30s. Seats are decent, I wish the front lower portion of the seat tilted but the whole seat bottom moves up and down. Not a fan of that. I can't get the most comfortable position in this car but it is manageable. The stupid electronic parking brake I do not like as it will fail sooner or later. And the lack of AWD with Manual is just plain stupid in this category. Why? Subaru can do it all day why can't Honda? Some people just refuse to get a CVT.
Sorry to hear about your problems. So far, I haven't had any problems, although I have heard of others having issues, including paint issues.

I did have some small black and surface rust specks on the paint when I received the car. The rest of the paint was smooth though. It all went away with a polish and wax, which I planned to do anyway.

I'm not a huge fan of the CVT transmission, although I do like that the gear changes are really smooth.

My Verizon Note 4 doesn't change at when plugged in to charge. I'm able to use it normally.

The rear seats work just like the Fit's for me. You lift them and close the bar underneath to lock them in place.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:31 PM
I really like the HRV!

Old 08-24-2015, 01:46 PM
I was looking at the HRV, but I'm kinda disappointed it is SO slow. I'd probably be going for the full optioned model. I like the new fit also... but I deplore the CVT....
My next budget will probably be 25k, so I might just be looking at the new Mini, but wow, their reliability is extremely poor. :/

Old 09-14-2015, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
Nice but not for me

Test drove an HRV a couple months back. I was looking for a third car (don't ask). I was looking for an AWD car for the snowy days when I had to drive somewhere. I just didn't like the touch screen set up on the HRV, that was a killer for me and my OCD. I could just picture myself going nuts thinking about the damn fingerprints on the display. That and the fact that the dealers didn't have zip for inventory. Just the boring colors (in my mind...other peeps might like it) black, white, silver. That made me walk away. Plus since I was keeping the Fit anyway, I just plunked down a few extra $$$ and got a CRV.