Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Tips on fixing Rusty license plate bolts on my trunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 05:18 PM
Tips on fixing Rusty license plate bolts on my trunk

Any tips on fixing and preventing this in the future

Found out the bolts on the license plate were rusty and bubbling from the previous owner so I wanna fix it ASAP. I was thinking about sanding the rust and bubbling and taping off just the area with bare metal that I sanded off, so I can primer, paint and clear. Since its behind the license plate and won’t be seen I don’t wanna blend the paint and clear in case I mesh up when spraying it.

When I fix and repaint won’t it rust in the future when screwing on the bolts won’t it take off the paint? Any ways to prevent it?

Last edited by GD3 GeGe~; 11-11-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:52 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i would remove the chipped paint off as much as possible and coat it with rustolem. then use stainless screws to mount the plate on. might even use anti-seize.

Old 11-11-2018, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
i would remove the chipped paint off as much as possible and coat it with rustolem. then use stainless screws to mount the plate on. might even use anti-seize.
What im worried about is when I screw on my screws will it strip off some of the new paint inside the bolt thread, is that what the anti seize will help with? im guessing the previous owner chipped the paint off with the screw. Might be a silly question but will get as much help as I can get. THX

Old 11-11-2018, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
some of the new paint inside the bolt thread
You better not get paint in there, you won't be able to screw the bolt in easily. There is no clearance for paint in threads. A thread chaser or tap might be used to clean the threads to bare metal so they are usable again.

Apply anti-seize to the threads of the new stainless bolts before installing,
I've heard of plastic bolts as well for use with vehicle license plates, but haven't seen any in years

Old 11-11-2018, 07:29 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, the screw will most likely scratch the paint off the threads. hell might cause cross threading if applied too thick in the threads.

the anti-seize will protect the metal from rusting further.

Old 11-11-2018, 07:33 PM
yah, the screw will most likely scratch the paint off the threads. hell might cause cross threading if applied too thick in the threads.

the anti-seize will protect the metal from rusting further.
Oh ok thank you for the tips, you would think they use rust proof material for the license plate bolts!

Old 11-11-2018, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by ezone
You better not get paint in there, you won't be able to screw the bolt in easily. There is no clearance for paint in threads. A thread chaser or tap might be used to clean the threads to bare metal so they are usable again.

Apply anti-seize to the threads of the new stainless bolts before installing,
I've heard of plastic bolts as well for use with vehicle license plates, but haven't seen any in years
I think what I might do so paint doesn't enter the thread is screw in long screw not all the way to block it off when painting. Ill go buy some anti-seize like you and kenchan thank you for the tip!

Old 11-12-2018, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
+1 ^ But I'd use something like extend on the rust. SS bolts & call it good.