Texas Fits, Anything goes thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 10:58 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
^^ Who's this stranger?

Yeah... depending on the program function used, a tech can simply add a key and/or delete previously existing keys to a a Honda/Acura's immobilizer system. Since your previously existing key caused the green immobilizer light to come on, it was most likely deleted.

If the grinding noise happens after you move the key from the START position back to the ON, it could possibly your starter dragging and showing its early signs of failing. I just replaced mine two or three weeks ago with 85.9k miles on the clock... First time I replaced a start on a Fit, it took about an hour/hour and a half for me to do it.
I know, I haven't been around lately. I love what you're doing with your Fit, I found your thread. That Dragon Tail road sounds like a really fun ride.

Yes, that is when the noise happens, like at the end of the start cycle as I release the key. It would suck if I had to replace it so early, but I figured it had something to do with draining my battery and recharging it, since that was when it first started happening. I guess there's not much to be done ahead of time? Just wait until it fails?

Old 12-01-2013, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Juliane
I know, I haven't been around lately. I love what you're doing with your Fit, I found your thread. That Dragon Tail road sounds like a really fun ride.

Yes, that is when the noise happens, like at the end of the start cycle as I release the key. It would suck if I had to replace it so early, but I figured it had something to do with draining my battery and recharging it, since that was when it first started happening. I guess there's not much to be done ahead of time? Just wait until it fails?
Ah ok... I was wondering where did you go and if you still had your BBP anyway.

Yes, the Dragon was a fun run and it makes all of the local roads in my area look like a driver's ed route. I'm planning on going next year around the same time with friends.

I see, that's exactly how my original was before I replaced it with a Honda re-manufactured unit. The thing with the starter, its a wear item... So things like trying to start with a dead or nearly dead battery I wouldn't think (don't quote me on it) shouldn't really affect the life of the starter since either the actuator kicking out the gear which spins the flywheel/flexplate won't kick out or the starter wouldn't be getting enough amperage to get the engine spinning fast enough theoretically speaking. Unless the key was held in the start position long enough to begin to overhead the starter or actuator... again, theoretically speaking.

As for replacement, it'll be your call... I personally replaced mine after the third time of hearing it since I can't afford to be stranded and with it being the "colder" part of the year, the battery and starting system sees a harder workload. Some starters drag and squelch for a few months to a years before cutting out, some make a couple of peps and randomly konk out.

It can be a luck of the draw/gamble sometimes but I would recommened that whenever its within budget to have it diagnosed properly and taken care of accordingly whenever you can. Wouldn't want anyone to be stranded somewhere.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:34 AM
5 Year Member
How do you diagnose the starter going out? I can take it to my mechanic this week. Yeah it does suck to get stranded. I had to leave it at Hobby last week for 5 days and I was praying it would start when I got back...10 pm on a Tuesday night with the family an hour across town...Fortunately, it did start although a bit sluggish.

I've actually been thinking of selling it in the not-too-distant future. I still love it but in this land of HUGE trucks and SUVs, the diminutive size and lack of any luxury features (a USB for audio would be nice) are beginning to get old. I'm glad Fits keep their value so well. I will probably stick with Honda, just wish they had something a bit smaller than the CRV in their lineup. I drove a Ford Fusion sedan on my trip and it was quite nice but as sad as it is to say, I just don't trust the reliability of American cars. Ford has good exterior designers - the exteriors look great, IMO - but how long do they hold up on the inside, engine, tranny, etc.?

So are you working in a shop these days? Whatever happened to Backwoods (Brad)? Does he still come around the forum? And bigtoepfer? Where is he these days? I see Marcus is showing his Fit, it's looking insane.

Last edited by Juliane; 12-01-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, I'm actually working in service at a Honda dealer of all places. ^.^

Backwoods/Brad posts up from time to time still and Bigtoepfer/Adam moved to Japan as far as I know.

What would likely be done by the tech at Honda is they'll put it on a system tester which checked the battery, starter, and the alternator... Since you're starter is just now beginning to drag/early stages of failing, I wouldn't be surprised if it may initially pass the starter test.

Experienced Honda techs/familiar Fit owners would notice either the noise once the starter is disengaged/released (if it makes it) or how the starter is physically turning the engine over slower than usual. In my case, I noticed both but was initially figuring that it was due to the change of seasons.

As for Ford... I wouldn't even go with any of their products unless its been designed by SVT since the only thing "decent" they would make entry level wise either has a EcoBoost turbocharged engine or a damn 5.0. When I worked at Ford for 5 months those things would have the stupidest of issues (dispite having some great technology ideas) and even their repair manuals telling the techs how to repair/diagnose vehicles isn't all that great. I've always said at work that "Ford's been making cars for over 100 years... and they still can't get shit right." ... Then again, I'm completely anti-Ford and can go on and on. haha

If you decide to sell the BBP, let me know... I know of someone needing a more reliable set of wheels and they've been looking for a BBP or BOM GD3 A/T. The GE8 is a little bit bigger than the GD3, that's the only "small" Honda available at this time since the Element was discontinued. In fact, we've got 2 Midnight Plum Pearl (a new interpretation of BBP) at our dealer. One outside, one in the showroom both are 2013 A/T Sport Non-Navi.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
That's cool, that you are working at a Honda dealer!

Now that you mention it, I do remember Adam saying he was going to Japan.

So you're saying you can't really diagnose the starter until it fails? The AAA guy ran a scan and the voltage was right in the middle of the scale, whatever that means.

The Fusion I drove did have EcoBoost. It was incredibly smooth on cruise control even in the deep hills and valleys of southern MO (near Branson). Really nice not to have that raring up of the engine halfway up a hill. But like I said, I don't trust the guts of the car. Both of my sons now have Escapes (long story, wouldn't have been my choice) and I don't expect them to last as long as a Honda or Toyota. For now, they are good transportation, but nothing fancy or luxurious.

Any meets lately? Or planned? How many of us are there still in the Houston area? I'm still looking for a Fit in Lunar Mist...

Old 12-01-2013, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
We had a Lunar Mist Base in for service a couple months back. It was the first I've seen.

I'm still in the same area... Saved/Mugen Mojo moved out to my neck of the woods as well but no longer has a Fit. We had a mini-meet in Lake Jackson a few weeks ago that was just a social Sunday lunch. Wouldn't mind another meet but the last one I tried to set up was at Track 21 in March I think.... No one showed.

As for testing... To me it sounds like the guy was doing a test checking if the alternator was charging and not testing the starter itself. I'm not saying it can't be found, I'm saying that in the early stages it may be hard to diagnose unless its making the noise or dragging (turning slower than designed). Takes a keen ear and/or experience.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
We had a Lunar Mist Base in for service a couple months back. It was the first I've seen.

I'm still in the same area... Saved/Mugen Mojo moved out to my neck of the woods as well but no longer has a Fit. We had a mini-meet in Lake Jackson a few weeks ago that was just a social Sunday lunch. Wouldn't mind another meet but the last one I tried to set up was at Track 21 in March I think.... No one showed.

As for testing... To me it sounds like the guy was doing a test checking if the alternator was charging and not testing the starter itself. I'm not saying it can't be found, I'm saying that in the early stages it may be hard to diagnose unless its making the noise or dragging (turning slower than designed). Takes a keen ear and/or experience.
Yeah, that was it, the alternator. I put the slip somewhere and can't find it now.

So you've seen a Lunar Mist! Next time it comes in, take some photos! That color is like a unicorn! I did see a bunch of Jazzes the last time we were in England. Tried to snap a photo of one, being driven by an old man, but we were passing it too quickly. It was light mint green, whatever color name that is in Jazz colors. They are quite common over there, mostly in pastel colors. Still haven't seen any in yellow.

Speaking of which...Look what you could buy for $12,127 in the Philippines...Jazz / Fit Helios Yellow - Secondhand For Sale Philippines - 25518315

Doesn't give the mileage that I can see, but does say "not for daily use" LOL Oh yeah????

Old 12-01-2013, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
That won't be likely since it was a Nebraska car I believe... for sure it had out of state plates.

I do wish we had gotten Helios Yellow here state side, I don't know why but I'm kind of a sucker for a yellow car. Helios Yellow GD3s, Yellow Jacket LS1/LS2 GTOs, Dakar Yellow E46 M3s, Millennium Yellow C5 Z06s, Velocity Yellow C6 Z06s, Detonator Yellow Challengers, even the yellow on JCrim's MX5... the list goes on...

Old 12-02-2013, 08:50 AM
5 Year Member
That won't be likely since it was a Nebraska car I believe... for sure it had out of state plates.

I do wish we had gotten Helios Yellow here state side, I don't know why but I'm kind of a sucker for a yellow car. Helios Yellow GD3s, Yellow Jacket LS1/LS2 GTOs, Dakar Yellow E46 M3s, Millennium Yellow C5 Z06s, Velocity Yellow C6 Z06s, Detonator Yellow Challengers, even the yellow on JCrim's MX5... the list goes on...
Oh I beg to differ! Yankees are moving here by the DROVES to get away from their states' ruined economies. You may well see that car again with TX plates next time.

Yeah I love the Helios Yellow too but I've also grown a lot more admiration for Taffeta White. However, in the interest of practicality, I think my next vehicle will be in one of those colors that don't show dirt quite as badly as a dark color...I still love the BBP but it's so hard to keep it really impeccable.

I looked up the value of my car last night...Sad to see that it's only about 10K now...

Old 12-02-2013, 09:48 AM
5 Year Member
You should be able to get more selling private. We sold a '08 BBP M/T for a little less than that with 82k miles on it and it needed a LOT of TLC exterior wise.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
You should be able to get more selling private. We sold a '08 BBP M/T for a little less than that with 82k miles on it and it needed a LOT of TLC exterior wise.
Good to know.

I heard a weird little whine or whistle from the engine this afternoon. I haven't popped the hood up yet, but I will tomorrow if I still hear it. I don't like this...

Old 12-02-2013, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
If you want a Honda bigger than the Fit, why not the Accord?

Old 12-02-2013, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
How do you diagnose the starter going out? I can take it to my mechanic this week. Yeah it does suck to get stranded. I had to leave it at Hobby last week for 5 days and I was praying it would start when I got back...10 pm on a Tuesday night with the family an hour across town...Fortunately, it did start although a bit sluggish.

I've actually been thinking of selling it in the not-too-distant future. I still love it but in this land of HUGE trucks and SUVs, the diminutive size and lack of any luxury features (a USB for audio would be nice) are beginning to get old. I'm glad Fits keep their value so well. I will probably stick with Honda, just wish they had something a bit smaller than the CRV in their lineup. I drove a Ford Fusion sedan on my trip and it was quite nice but as sad as it is to say, I just don't trust the reliability of American cars. Ford has good exterior designers - the exteriors look great, IMO - but how long do they hold up on the inside, engine, tranny, etc.?

So are you working in a shop these days? Whatever happened to Backwoods (Brad)? Does he still come around the forum? And bigtoepfer? Where is he these days? I see Marcus is showing his Fit, it's looking insane.
If you can wait long enough, there's a concept Honda coming out........I don't know when, but it's on the Honda site.
Honda's All-New Urban SUV Concept - Official Site

Yes, I'm actually working in service at a Honda dealer of all places. ^.^

Backwoods/Brad posts up from time to time still and Bigtoepfer/Adam moved to Japan as far as I know.

What would likely be done by the tech at Honda is they'll put it on a system tester which checked the battery, starter, and the alternator... Since you're starter is just now beginning to drag/early stages of failing, I wouldn't be surprised if it may initially pass the starter test.

Experienced Honda techs/familiar Fit owners would notice either the noise once the starter is disengaged/released (if it makes it) or how the starter is physically turning the engine over slower than usual. In my case, I noticed both but was initially figuring that it was due to the change of seasons.

As for Ford... I wouldn't even go with any of their products unless its been designed by SVT since the only thing "decent" they would make entry level wise either has a EcoBoost turbocharged engine or a damn 5.0. When I worked at Ford for 5 months those things would have the stupidest of issues (dispite having some great technology ideas) and even their repair manuals telling the techs how to repair/diagnose vehicles isn't all that great. I've always said at work that "Ford's been making cars for over 100 years... and they still can't get shit right." ... Then again, I'm completely anti-Ford and can go on and on. haha

If you decide to sell the BBP, let me know... I know of someone needing a more reliable set of wheels and they've been looking for a BBP or BOM GD3 A/T. The GE8 is a little bit bigger than the GD3, that's the only "small" Honda available at this time since the Element was discontinued. In fact, we've got 2 Midnight Plum Pearl (a new interpretation of BBP) at our dealer. One outside, one in the showroom both are 2013 A/T Sport Non-Navi.
Adam is back already. He's lost a TON of weight too. I bet you wouldn't be able to recognize him if he walked past you.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BlueCell
Adam is back already. He's lost a TON of weight too. I bet you wouldn't be able to recognize him if he walked past you.
Ah ok, I didn't know... plus I bet I won't either since I've never met him in person.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
If you can wait long enough, there's a concept Honda coming out........I don't know when, but it's on the Honda site.
Honda's All-New Urban SUV Concept - Official Site

Wow, that's...ugly as shit! I greatly dislike the CrossTour so this isn't going to be in my garage. Bleh.

Cool that Adam is back, did he enjoy Japan?

Old 12-02-2013, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
LOL I dont like the crosstour either, but this looks like an actual SUV. I like the new LED headlights vs the Big Ole Halogen heads

Old 12-02-2013, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
If you want a Honda bigger than the Fit, why not the Accord?
I'm looking for an SUV this time. About a year and a half ago, we bought a Rav4, for a weekend, then gave it back, hubby decided it was too small for him (he drives a 4 runner) and I liked it a lot but wasn't ready to give up the Fit at that point. Now the Rav4 has changed its design and I like it less! I want that full-sized spare on the back but that means an older used one with too many miles. Sigh....

I absolutely LOVE the styling of the Accord, though. If I was going for a sedan, it would be my top choice.

Last edited by Juliane; 12-02-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
LOL I dont like the crosstour either, but this looks like an actual SUV. I like the new LED headlights vs the Big Ole Halogen heads
Well yeah, the LED lights are good. If it's not as big as the Pilot, I'd maybe take a look. All the SUVs are so frickin' huge these days, and every year they just get bigger and bigger...

Old 12-02-2013, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
Speaking of concept vehicles....

Last edited by Juliane; 12-02-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
Speaking of concept vehicles....

LOL I did not approve of that one.

The Urban SUV is said to be smaller than the CRV so its not a big SUV

Quick Reply: Texas Fits, Anything goes thread