1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Dash Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 08:09 PM
Dash Rattle

Hi. Could anyone tell me if this part of the dash is easily removable? I have a rattle coming from it and wanna try and fix it. If I push on it the noise stops. Just wanna see if anything might be loose. Thanks.

Old 11-05-2020, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
My guess is that it's got double-sided tape holding it on. Are you certain that's where the rattle is coming from? There are a number of potential rattle culprits, for example a rattle from the gear lever when in 5th gear and accelerating is not uncommon (in manual trans vehicles).

Old 11-05-2020, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member
from grtpumkin 4/9/10

Dammit, you're right! Well hell. OK here we go, you will need: Phillips screwdriver
telescoping magnetic retriever (helpful, but not a deal breaker) One bottle of beer
Step1: remove the upper steering column cover, it just snaps onto the lower you shouldn't have to gorilla it.
Step2: Gently grab the cover panel by the inside of the gauge surrounds and tug it off the dash, if i remember correctly it snaps in top first so it should come out bottom edge first. Again it just snaps in and shouldn't require a lot of effort to remove.
Step3: Open beer and retrieve screwdriver
Step4: You will see three or four screws around the perimeter of the upper gauge hood, remove them. One is straight up in the center of the gauge hood and may require a stubby screwdriver, the others are straight ahead of you if you are looking at the cluster. Once the screws are out you should be able to remove the upper hood.
Step5: With the upper hood gone you should see the screws that retain the outer gauge hood (the part over the gauges that you see looking in through the windshield) Take those out and you can remove the outer hood. I believe those screws also retain the cluster but i could be wrong. If you have made it this far the fasteners are pretty easy to spot.
Step6: Take long pull from beer admire handiwork, soothe frayed nerves of girlfriend/wife
Step7: With all fasteners removed unclip the three electrical harness' from the cluster and lift it out of the dash. The cluster is held together with clips around the edges, it is not glued or sealed in any way. GENTLY unclip the outer hood (the black part) from the cluster. Next unclip the clear face from the cluster using the same technique used on the outer hood.
Step8: Reread DIY, finish beer, go to fridge for beer #2
Step9: With the cluster apart you can now use a hobby knife or razor blade to lift the gauge overlay from the face of the cluster, exposing the LEDs underneath. Cut a piece of electrical tape just big enough to cover the appropriate LED and stick er in there!
YOU DID IT! Now finish your #2 beer and put it back together...
.the great pumpkin 2010

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 11-05-2020 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-05-2020, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the great description and I love that there is beer involved. Lol. Gonna try this weekend and I'm sure its from there. When I push on it the noise stops. Thanks guys!!