1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

stumped

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 02:37 AM
stumped

Hi all, I've been trying to diagnose my brother's 2007 Fit(5spd manual) with no luck. It basically has a real hard time starting. I would turn the key to ignition ON to allow the fuel rail to build pressure and then crank it over. While the engine is cranking it sounds like the engine is turning over very slowly(3-4 slow cranks), almost like the starter is going out or the battery is getting old(not enough amperage), but it will eventually start pretty much everytime. I replaced the battery with a duralast gold and had the same symptoms so I also replaced the starter and still have the same symptoms.

I checked the ground wire as well and also added an additional ground wire from the battery to the block and another ground wire from the block to the frame.

Can't really think of anything else at this point. Has anyone else had similar issues ? Just wondering what to do now before I recommend he takes it to the dealership. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:01 AM
Do you have a voltmeter or multimeter? If so, I'd (carefully) check the voltage at various key points while having a friend crank the engine—particularly comparing the voltage at the starter to the voltage across the battery. It sounds as though you're getting some unacceptable voltage drop somewhere; since you've checked the ground connections, it would seem it's probably somewhere along the power lead or in the starter solenoid. (Is the solenoid separate from the starter proper on a Fit?)

Another thing to try is putting the battery on a charger for a little while and seeing if the starting improves. If it does, it suggests that the car's charging system is at fault—or perhaps the car is just being used for quite short trips exclusively and it isn't running long enough to restore the battery charge on a regular basis. A trickle charger would be the best solution for the second problem, assuming your brother doesn't relish a longer commute!

Old 12-28-2012, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by umibozu
Hi all, I've been trying to diagnose my brother's 2007 Fit(5spd manual) with no luck. It basically has a real hard time starting. I would turn the key to ignition ON to allow the fuel rail to build pressure and then crank it over. While the engine is cranking it sounds like the engine is turning over very slowly(3-4 slow cranks), almost like the starter is going out or the battery is getting old(not enough amperage), but it will eventually start pretty much everytime. I replaced the battery with a duralast gold and had the same symptoms so I also replaced the starter and still have the same symptoms.

I checked the ground wire as well and also added an additional ground wire from the battery to the block and another ground wire from the block to the frame.

Can't really think of anything else at this point. Has anyone else had similar issues ? Just wondering what to do now before I recommend he takes it to the dealership. Thanks in advance.

Good advice soi far. I would recommend you jump start the Fit from another car - preferably a larger engined one - with its engine running at about 2000 rpm. If the Fit still turns over slowly its probably not the Fit electrical system unless you do have a short between the starter motor and battery, which isn't unusual by the way.
With the jump start still showing slow engine turnover, there is likely something making the rpm difficult like an exhaust valve not operating or cam belt too tight. Does the engine run fine after getting it started? Is the fuel consumption 30 mpg? Does it idle OK once started? Therfe are many other things as well including an ECU defect but not as easily checked.
try the jump start from a larger capacity electrical system car, or truck.m That should be a definite clue.
good luck.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:13 AM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
check plugs? check coilpacks? might be small spark.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
You can check for a poor ground to the engine with a jumper cable...go from the engine block to the battery negative post, directly.

A salty environment (especially if there was accident damage repair) can lead to a high-resistance connection. If the battery cables have crimps that are corroded, this can result in a large current drop when starting.

Also, some batteries have terminal posts that are too small for the Honda clamps to grip tightly....I just had this happen when I changed the battery in my CRV recently. Even with the clamp bolts tight, I could spin the clamp, so I had to shim the post.

Another thing I'd check is fuel system pressure. One friend had an engine (not a Honda) that was difficult to start when hot, turned out to be leaking fuel injectors....not quite the same, but hey.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:43 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions!

I found the culprit , it was a faulty oem ground cable. It was corroded from the inside and I had a hard time visually seeing the corrosion. Even though I added the additional ground wires I didn't attach them directly to the post. I added them to the bolt that goes into the frame which is the reason why they didn't help much. I've never seen a ground cable corrode bad enough to give this many problems but there's a first time for everything I guess. Thanks again for all of your suggestions!