2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

40.12 MPG On Most Recent Fill-Up!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 03:15 PM
Some of you guys are getting EXCELLENT fuel economy! Awesome!

I hope when I get my Fit, I'll get the same kind of numbers.

myke

Old 07-21-2009, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
After months of not calculating my mileage I decided to calculate again just to see if my mileage improved after over 12,000 miles.

When new I would average 33-35 mpg in mixed L.A. driving, which I think is great. My 2 recent fill ups have me at 35-36.5 mpg. Could be just normal variance, but take it for what it's worth.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
The heat is great for mpg as long as you can minimize a/c use. Difficult, I know. My last trip over to Ft Worth (work for Corps of Engineers), I refilled in Canton and got an indicated 50.3 mpg by the time I rolled into downtown FW. My error is consistantly around 4.2 so that's still about 46.1.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member
lol just got my fit last saturday and on my "no charge full tank" from the dealer. So far the comp is saying 39.9 MPG haha and still a quarter left in the tank! btw its disgustinly hot in Socal

Old 07-29-2009, 01:23 PM
Well I finally bought my 09 Fit Sport AT

Still on my first tank of gas, so I haven't filled up yet

I drive mostly city since everything's so close to my place.

myke

Old 07-29-2009, 05:36 PM
dgs
Originally Posted by IBJanky
Well I finally bought my 09 Fit Sport AT

Still on my first tank of gas, so I haven't filled up yet

I drive mostly city since everything's so close to my place.

myke
Hey good for you, I'm sure you're loving the car. I've owned mine for seven months now and I look forward to driving it every morning I get ready for work. It is difficult for people who don't own this car to understand how much fun it is. All they see is a slow car with poor track numbers and they write it off. This car is getting back to Honda's roots and what made them successful in this country, small, simple, lightweight, fuel-efficient, fun to drive cars with bullet proof reliability. All of their other models have gotten bigger and bloated and no longer resemble the early Honda. I'm going to keep my Fit for as long as it will drive because I think this car is a last of it's kind.

By the way, the mileage I reported here is still my best tank to date. My mileage has been ranging from 33 to 37 mpg since then, which is still more than acceptable for me.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by dgs
Hey good for you, I'm sure you're loving the car. I've owned mine for seven months now and I look forward to driving it every morning I get ready for work. It is difficult for people who don't own this car to understand how much fun it is. All they see is a slow car with poor track numbers and they write it off. This car is getting back to Honda's roots and what made them successful in this country, small, simple, lightweight, fuel-efficient, fun to drive cars with bullet proof reliability. All of their other models have gotten bigger and bloated and no longer resemble the early Honda. I'm going to keep my Fit for as long as it will drive because I think this car is a last of it's kind.

By the way, the mileage I reported here is still my best tank to date. My mileage has been ranging from 33 to 37 mpg since then, which is still more than acceptable for me.
If I got mid-30's combined, I'd be very satisfied as well.

myke

Old 07-29-2009, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
best Ive done is 37mpg, guess I gotta slow my roll

Old 07-29-2009, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
I think you guys are smoking something getting that kind of mileage. (j/k)
Guess you are hitting freeways most of the time. I am envious, my Fit isn't exactly
"sipping gas".

Old 07-29-2009, 07:00 PM
I get 38+ without trying hard. But when I had my Smart I was driving 'hypermile' style and I still do that some. I was trying to get over 50 mpg in my Smart....and never did get there. But it did teach me some better driving habits. My 38 comes in the hills of WV so most Fit AT drivers should be able to get close.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Benggolf
I think you guys are smoking something getting that kind of mileage. (j/k)
Guess you are hitting freeways most of the time. I am envious, my Fit isn't exactly
"sipping gas".
yea 90% of the drive is freeway driving, I think if I kept it under 75 Id do better but that would make the drive too long!!! ...Im sure 37 is the computer over estimating...a true reading would be like 34 I guessing...still save me some hard earned cash.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dgs
I think I jinxed myself by starting this thread. I filled up on Thursday night and set my trip computer to zero as always. I did a lot of driving this weekend and so I decided to re-fill again tonight. I drove 158.8 miles and it took 6.32 gallons to fill up, which equates to 25 mpg?! Damn, what happened? I was driving a little more aggressively and I was driving faster on the freeway than normal, (usually 70p mph, this weekend 80 mph) but I don't understand this. I've been trying to rack my brain since filling up figuring out how this could happen. I know my tires are properly inflated, actually I think with the heat they're over-inflated. I used the same Shell gas I always use. I washed my car on Thursday night so there was no extra aerodynamic drag. My trunk was empty, not carrying around extra weight. I just don't get it. Of course my A/C was on all the time, but it's been on all the time probably for the past month or so.

I seriously hope this is some anomaly because 25 mpg is not acceptable in a car this small.

I think you should use different gas. Try Cheveron on one fill up to see if it gets you any better mpg.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:56 AM
5 Year Member
my most recent fill up yielded 43 mpg. i was very amazed to say the least.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:02 AM
JGW
I averaged 35.7 on the last tank, so I'm not complaining.

Almost all my driving is on the highway. I have 15K on the mileage, and I consistently get 34-39 MPG. This is with the AC on, as it's been hotter than hell here lately (100+ for what seems like weeks now).

BSM is off, but mine doesn't seem to be as off as some report. Again, might be because 99.9% of my mileage is highway/freeway. Mojave Desert FTW.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:11 AM
I'm one of those in North TX doing mostly highway driving and the more I drive the better the MPG i'm getting. I have an auto and after just recently passing the 600 mile break-in period I have started to be a little bit tougher on the car revving higher and higher and it seems as though I'm getting more miles out of this current tank.

As far as the car is concerned, living in a town where EVERYONE drives a pickup truck I get shit for it since the first day I drove in to work and parked next to my co-worker's diesel dually but I could care less! The car is awesome and unlike my co-worker's truck I don't have to drive at a snails pace to get good gas mileage and that's with the AC on non-stop.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:01 AM
Originally Posted by dgs
I think I jinxed myself by starting this thread. I filled up on Thursday night and set my trip computer to zero as always. I did a lot of driving this weekend and so I decided to re-fill again tonight. I drove 158.8 miles and it took 6.32 gallons to fill up, which equates to 25 mpg?! Damn, what happened? I was driving a little more aggressively and I was driving faster on the freeway than normal, (usually 70p mph, this weekend 80 mph) but I don't understand this. I've been trying to rack my brain since filling up figuring out how this could happen. I know my tires are properly inflated, actually I think with the heat they're over-inflated. I used the same Shell gas I always use. I washed my car on Thursday night so there was no extra aerodynamic drag. My trunk was empty, not carrying around extra weight. I just don't get it. Of course my A/C was on all the time, but it's been on all the time probably for the past month or so.

I seriously hope this is some anomaly because 25 mpg is not acceptable in a car this small.
I think how fast you were driving is what did it for you. When you start getting above 65 or 70, the wind resistance is what screws you. Try to keep it around 55-60. Or if you're going to drive really fast, try to drive behind a semi or something, at a safe distance of course, that's gonna block a lot of the wind in front.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:36 AM
dgs
Originally Posted by Wopasaurus
I think how fast you were driving is what did it for you. When you start getting above 65 or 70, the wind resistance is what screws you. Try to keep it around 55-60. Or if you're going to drive really fast, try to drive behind a semi or something, at a safe distance of course, that's gonna block a lot of the wind in front.
Oh that's absolutely true. I think the reason I got that mileage is for one I wasn't using the A/C, I was driving more highway than city, and I was driving very easy. I still think it's incredible that I use the A/C every day now, I drive at least 75 on the highway (I know I shouldn't but I'm always running late!) and I'm much more aggressive on the throttle and I'm still getting a low of 33 mpg. Just amazing.

I love this little car.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:41 AM
dgs
Originally Posted by Neebs
I think you should use different gas. Try Cheveron on one fill up to see if it gets you any better mpg.
I'm pretty loyal to Shell. I try to stick with one kind of gas. Plus there is a Shell station right up the street from where I live, I have no idea where the closest Cheveron is.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:42 AM
I picked up my Fit Sport last night, and have put 250 miles on the initial full tank of gas provided by the dealer. The trip computer is reading 46.2mpg average - I know that's higher than reality, but I still anticipate 40+ at the pump....and this on a completely fresh motor!

Those miles were about 90/10% highway/city, accelerating with a light foot, cruise set between 65 and 70 on the highway, windows open a bit most of the time, AC used for perhaps 15% of the trip. If I can break 40 average on my first tank of gas, I'll be thrilled.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
1225 miles on Fit Sport M/T overall average 37.1 mpg mostly with a/c on and half of it with 3 adults and one 9 year old in car plug 100 lbs luggage. I'm very pleased.