2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got a ticket (story)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 04:44 AM
got a ticket (story)

got a ticket today while i was driving, here is the conversation:

Cop: " registration, proff of insurance,....ect."

Me: "sure just let me get it and im sorry if i can find it i have alot in my glove box"

cop: " thats no problem"."(i hand him my things and he walks to the car and starts writing the ticket)

so i find everything but a recent proof of insurance cuz i think its in my dorm somwhere but i do have a recent old one that i gave hime because he didnt believe who my insurance company was. we get on to it when he comes back and he tells me he pulled me over for my exhaust and this is where it starts.

cop: "well you have to fix your exhaust"

me: "i looked up the laws for exhaust and i didnt see one saying i can but also saying that i cant".

cop: "it just needed to be fixed"

me: "what needed about it needs to be fixed?"

cop: " well its a modified exhaust and has to be fixed"

me: "so what needs to be fixed? i know its not too loud and since i didnt moddify the catalitic converters it still passes smog. so i dont understand what needs to be fixed?"

cop: "its a 10 dollar ticket and to just sign the ticket and you can deal with it later. this ticket doesnt mean your guilty of anything"

me: "right i have had tickets before and i understand but i dont want to sign this ticket and have to go to some one who will tell me nothing is wrong with my exhaust or at least i can go to some one and tell them something other then "just "fix it."."

cop: "right but please sign the ticket and you know i didnt mark you down for proof of insurance"

me: "ok well thansk but i dont want to sign this if my exhaust is legal"

cop: "thats fine you can go to court and try to explain it there"

so i end up sighning it and i leave pissed off cuz i saw the cop pull out his phone and take a pick... well about 10 min later im leaving my friends house and i pass a cop car with 2 cops in it. well i see them stop in the middle of the road, knowing they stopped for me i made my u turn and pulled up past them, looking in my rear view mirror i see them staring at my exhaust. i roll my window down and the two look at me.

Me: "i just got a ticket!"

cops: "haha where? here?"

me: "ya on campus pretty much haha you know over in park merced."

cops: " really? in this city?"

me: "ya it sucks"

but then the light turned green and i wanted to ask the cops what i should do but i never got the chance....

so if any1 has any ideas please let me kno what i should do?

Old 05-11-2010, 04:48 AM
5 Year Member
well...did you even look up what you got cited for?

loud exhaust? is it stock? either you TBD or just fix and pay

Old 05-11-2010, 06:53 AM
5 Year Member
It's too loud, duh.
He didn't explain it because it's common sense.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:31 AM
5 Year Member
In your story, I noticed that you didn't say what modifications your exhaust has if any.

If it's modified then the "fix" is to put it back to stock.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:29 AM
Always sign the ticket. The cop wasn't kidding you, you are not admitting guilt, you are simply acknowledging receipt of the ticket and agreeing to appear. Refusing to sign the ticket will only piss the cop off and could potentially get you in bigger trouble.

If you've gotten to the point where the officer is handing you a ticket to sign, you have already passed the point of fast-talking your way out of a ticket, so it's best to save everyone the trouble - thank the officer for not Tazing you and be on your way and figure out how to fight it when you get home.

The ticket should have a code or description indicating what the problem is. Start there. Exhaust too loud seems the likely culprit. You say you know it's not too loud...how do you know? Can you show a sceptical judge objective evidence?

Old 05-11-2010, 10:31 AM
People who modify their exhausts should accept the fact that they can get pulled over and get tickets for it.

myke

Old 05-11-2010, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
It's a fix-it ticket. You'll probably just need to get another cop to sign it off that you put the stock exhaust back on and pay the $10 bucks or whatever. Then go put the annoying loud one on again.

Did you actually read the ticket regarding proof of correction? What exactly did he site you for? You can look up all the vehicle codes ya know.

If I were that cop I'd have thrown you in the back of the car with the dog and taught you some respect
That's how they used to roll until everybody started suing.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
California is really hurting for money..... Why is it so many people want to live in what was recognized as a police state 4 decades ago and has progressively worsened.... There has been a mess of Californians moving into this area and they are cool people but I wish they wouldn't all put water in their swimming pools when I want to take a shower.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by IBJanky
People who modify their exhausts should accept the fact that they can get pulled over and get tickets for it.
so true, i want an exhaust, but i know that this will happen sooner or later.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:29 AM
5 Year Member
"Thank the officer for not Tazing you and be on your way"

Oh yes, good times....

Old 05-11-2010, 02:18 PM
no i kno what it is and for those of you who dont kno i have boso pipes. i have got a ticket for modified exhaust. but i dont think the cop knew what he was talkin about and i wasnt trying to be such a smart ass. but when i asked him what needed to be changed/ fixed he said it just needed fixed. and thats why im so mad about it. i felt like he only pulled me over cuz my exhaust, not because he knows its illegal or legal. thats what i was tryin to get at, sorry for the confussion but ya. i just dont see why i would get a ticket my pipes dont hurt anything. however if i didhave bigger pipes i could under stand a ticket but my pipes are lower then my roof and it doesnt stick out on my passenger side either.

Name:  boso4.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  20.3 KB

Old 05-11-2010, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
those pipes stick out like a sore thumb, im surprised it didnt happen sooner.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
Lol I read this and was like wth is going on here.

I have an exhaust and haven't been pulled over for having it but I received a loud exhaust ticket instead of an illegal u-turn ticket, just because the cop was letting me off the point ticket but wanted to give me something.

Then after realizing you were the one with the gigantic pipe sticking off the back of your car your only asking for trouble. If you check all your laws and you still feel your not guilty of anything just fight it in court I'd advise taking that off the day of court though.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by score04w
those pipes stick out like a sore thumb, im surprised it didnt happen sooner.
X2. If I saw that stupid shit in a parking lot I'd be drawn to remove them for you.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gd3vbp
X2. If I saw that stupid shit in a parking lot I'd be drawn to remove them for you.
hahahaha, finally this whole thread is making sense.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:49 PM
but even with you guys not liking my exhaust tha doesnt make it illegal and i hate it when people act on something they dont like, why cant they just see something and not like it but instead of acting to remove it why dont people just stay away? why do people have to act on opinion? idk im ranting but still

Old 05-11-2010, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
regardless of the fact that i think its ridiculous, i understand why the cop pulled you over. It actually makes perfect sense why he did. I guarentee your exhaust is louder now than stock. Thats fine. WHen it sticks out half way up the back of the car and makes noise, they're gonna pull you over regardless. And i hate to say it, but the cop doesnt have to explain himself, because no matter what, he'll get you for something if it aint that. Not that im saying its right.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
you might as well hang an arrow and neon sign from it saying "please pull me over"

Old 05-11-2010, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by fitisbamf
but even with you guys not liking my exhaust tha doesnt make it illegal and i hate it when people act on something they dont like, why cant they just see something and not like it but instead of acting to remove it why dont people just stay away? why do people have to act on opinion? idk im ranting but still
27150. (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all
times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and
properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and
no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass,
or similar device.

It's a matter of opinion to the officer issuing the ticket on what an adequate muffler is and on your vehicle I'm sorry to say but how did you not expect it? It sticks out like a set of tig'o bitties.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:02 PM
I don't believe you have answered whether or not there was more of a description on the ticket?

I'm wondering if it is sticking out too far from the rear? We all know temporary loads extending past the bumber must have a visible warning flag on it. I'm sure there are rules about permament fixtures extending too far past the bumber as well.

But I do see your point (assuming there isn't further description on the ticket) you have a right to know exactly what law you are breaking, so you know exactly how to fix it. I mean, is it a matter where you could trim 6 inches of pipe and get back in the limit??

Quick Reply: got a ticket (story)