2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY first DIY oil change on the Fit. Ugh!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 11:23 PM
Banned
One possible problem you may have the first time is a filter that is very hard to turn to remove. You might want to grab an oil filter wrench at your parts store before you let all the oil out. They are pretty cheap and if you are going to do your own changes you will already have one for next time.

IF you have one that wont' turn the old bang a philips screwdriver right through the filter body so you have something large to help turn it with trick but beware oil will come out the hole.

And follow recommendations on the box about how tight it needs to be when you install the new one. Hint not very tight at all. And put some oil (just a bit) on the new filter's gasket before screwing it on.

Last edited by loudbang; 03-08-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I don't know about your state. Here in NY, any place that sells oil has to accept used oil for recycling. I take mine to a local garage, and they burn it in their waste oil furnace to heat the shop.
I've often wondered how well synthetic burns compared dino. Does anybody know?

Old 03-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by ReeSpeed
The last oil change I did on the fit, I left the old oil in the drain pan off to the side of the garage. My wife kept telling me to dispose of it before someone spills it...I kept telling her that the garage is my space and no one else should be in there... Needless to say, my son (11 years old) has a friend over and they were riding his bike and scooter down from the top of the driveway into my garage (I've told him not to many times). No cars were in there at that time and he somehow managed to run over the drain pan with his bike splashing oil everywhere!

Now, I promptly dispose of the oil right after the change... Anyone know how to get oil out of drywall??
A saw and new drywall