2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixed: Wind vibration rattle

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 02:22 AM
Fixed: Wind vibration rattle

Right after I got my wonderful 2011 Sport, a bad wind rattle and vibration above 50 mph started to manifest on the right hand corner of the windscreen. The dealer was nice enough the verify the rattle, even going so far to give me a 2012 Fit to drive to compare a factory fresh wind noise with mine. They agreed there was a problem. The windshield company they sent to my house did the trick. It was not the windscreen or seals, but the plastic cowling over the wiper area. They tacked it down with a little bead of windshield sealant, and that did the trick. I'm posting this for the future fit freak who encounters this same issue.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:40 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Good looking out. People have already been talking about this for a while though.

Here are the links:

1. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...sh-rattle.html

2. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-warranty.html

Old 04-13-2012, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member
I recently purchased a 2012 Honda Fit Sport. When I turn on the windshield wipers, there's this "clicking" noise only when the wiper is activated every couple of seconds (doesn't matter what speed setting, the "clicking" noise is still there). I went back to the dealership and they told me that's normal. I didn't experience that "clicking" noise with my 07 Fit Sport. Please advise.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dragonz3k
I recently purchased a 2012 Honda Fit Sport. When I turn on the windshield wipers, there's this "clicking" noise only when the wiper is activated every couple of seconds (doesn't matter what speed setting, the "clicking" noise is still there). I went back to the dealership and they told me that's normal. I didn't experience that "clicking" noise with my 07 Fit Sport. Please advise.
Is it every time the windshield wipers start to move? Odds are it's the relay that runs the wiper motor. Relays are electromagenetic switches and mechanical devices. They will click when actuated and this is, in fact, normal.

The clicking you hear when your blinker is on is actually the relay switching them on and off, though they are typicly mounted in a way so they are easier to hear (some cars have little speakers or other noise makers though as well for the blinkers)

Old 04-13-2012, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, it only clicks when the wiper starts to move. I just find it weird in a brand new car. Lol. Thanks man.

Originally Posted by x_25
Is it every time the windshield wipers start to move? Odds are it's the relay that runs the wiper motor. Relays are electromagenetic switches and mechanical devices. They will click when actuated and this is, in fact, normal.

The clicking you hear when your blinker is on is actually the relay switching them on and off, though they are typicly mounted in a way so they are easier to hear (some cars have little speakers or other noise makers though as well for the blinkers)

Old 04-13-2012, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by dragonz3k
Yes, it only clicks when the wiper starts to move. I just find it weird in a brand new car. Lol. Thanks man.
It's still an econobox. On fancier cars the components are quieter, more sound isolated, and further away. But yeah, it's normal for the ge8 fit.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member
Another rationalization would be the '12 is so much quieter than the '07 that you hear noises that otherwise you wouldn't.

Clicking relays is kinda cool though. I wish I weren't so deaf: I could hear mine...