2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Strange rumbling noise when blower is running.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 03:22 PM
Strange rumbling noise when blower is running.

Hey guys,

The last few weeks i noticed that if i have my blower turned up to 3 or greater i get a rumbling sort of noise. It's hard to explain, i tried to get a video but the wind noise from my air overwhelms the speakers on my phone. It gets louder the higher i turn up the air. But the air still seems to work fine. I'm not sure if it could be the blower motor going out or something else.

I have a little over 30K on the car so I'm not sure if I'm in warranty anymore or not. Does anyone know if the blower motor is hard to replace? If i can replace it by just dropping the glove box then I'd be game to do it myself but i wouldn't be interested in pulling the dash out.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:46 PM
Exclamation Bump

Bump

I'm having the same issue. Did you have to replace the blower motor or was debris in the blower motor causing noise?

Old 02-14-2015, 08:13 PM
I ended up never doing anything with it. It still rumbles but not enough at low fan speed for me to care lol. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable chimes in now that it's been bumped.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:09 AM
5 Year Member
In a previous vehicle, I had the same sound for a while until the motor finally went out. I reached the point where I could whack it with a stick (it stuck down just below the level of the bottom of the dash) and it would work for a little while and then that stopped working as well. Replaced the motor and the sound wasn't there anymore.

You could also check for debris, but all the ones that I've ever heard that had debris in them was more a clicking sound.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
My blower went out. Slowly at first--failing intermittently, but it would come back with a good fist-bump to the dash--but after a few months, it began making noise and running slower and slower until it stopped altogether.

It was very easy to replace. One connector, and 3 screws. The motor/wheel assembly was about $145, IIRC. A non-OEM replacement was listed as little as $60 at one of the national parts stores, but they were all out of stock, and from the pictures, it was motor only (so it would have been a pain in the ass as I'd have to rebuild the assembly) so I bought from the dealer, who had it in stock on a Saturday afternoon.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by TheGonagle
My blower went out. Slowly at first--failing intermittently, but it would come back with a good fist-bump to the dash--but after a few months, it began making noise and running slower and slower until it stopped altogether.

It was very easy to replace. One connector, and 3 screws. The motor/wheel assembly was about $145, IIRC. A non-OEM replacement was listed as little as $60 at one of the national parts stores, but they were all out of stock, and from the pictures, it was motor only (so it would have been a pain in the ass as I'd have to rebuild the assembly) so I bought from the dealer, who had it in stock on a Saturday afternoon.
Oh sweet, that's good to hear. Mine never ended up failing but it still makes a rumbling noise on higher settings. Over long drives I've noticed that after some time it wont blow as strongly (and the air stops being as cool, but i think that's due to the AC not being able to keep up.) It's not a big enough deal at the moment for me to replace it, but I'm glad to hear it should be easy when that time does come.

Was it accessible just by taking the glove box compartment out? My main concern with replacing it was the chance of having to take the dash apart, but it sounds like that wasn't necessary for you.