2nd Generation GE8 Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

GE/GD Front OEM BRake KIT UPGRADE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BMW ALPINA
Hello,
But I do NOT know when I am going to install either that JDM RS bumper
or this upcoming Full Rear Axle,
because at the moment I had some other important things to do, so I need the car all the time.
Beside I had other plan for upgrading the front brake and whole suspension so I rather have all the stuff at once and install them all at once. That mean, most likely you won't see me driving with the JDM RS bumper and this rear disk brake axle until at least 2 or 3 months from now hahaha...
I might start by painting the rear disk brake caliper RED so it will match my future front brake caliper

I might be able to get another one,
but someone else had PM me before you post this,...
Trust me I know... it's all good...
I mod the same way, stock up on a whole section, then install all at once. I think it makes more sense since you're going to be working on that part of the car. I applaud you for that... congrats.

Please don't forget, if you do get another set, let me know... I am extremely interested, and ready to buy whenever.
I can't wait for your install, it should be a direct swap from what I've been reading, with the exception of brake lines... and maybe a few small tidbits. Please take plenty of pics, and detail the process for the rest of us.

Originally Posted by Wafulz
....................$$$$$ flowing like the river Nile.
Yah, man... you know what those go for.

I never zoomed in on the fast brakes kit, b/c it's wrong. That rear disc conversion would only work on GD's 07-08 (USDM) https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gaug...onversion.html Heck, even the T1R kit didn't have redrilled rotors (iirc)... correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the 205's... they should've came on the car OEM.. feels much better with them.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
I think this brake kit will work. I will be doing this on my integra first. Here is the link DIY: The No BS Bolt on Big brakes for RS/GS/LS/GSR - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
It uses mini rotors. My question will our proportioning valve support this ok?

Old 07-25-2013, 03:21 PM
jsr
5 Year Member
As mentioned by a couple of previous posters, what determines the stopping distance of our cars are the tires. The bottom line of whether you *NEED* bigger brakes is this: if you can activate ABS now, you don't need bigger brakes. That means you need better tires. I don't think the Fit needs bigger brakes, but it desperately needs better pads and more pad choices. The whole reason for larger rotors is heat capacity and that only gets pushed when you're repeated stomping on the brakes. During normal commuting, you don't get near the limits of the stock rotors or brake system heat capacity.
Whether the proportioning valve will work depends on the Fit's stock caliper piston size. If it's close to the S2000 piston (2" diameter), then it will work fine and overall brake balance will remain nominal. If the S2000 piston is considerably larger, you'll get too much front brake bias throwing off the brake balance.
I would like the look of larger brakes, but that's just for looks. The Fit doesn't need bigger brakes. But I commend Wafulz for taking the time and effort to offer a very low-cost brake option that opens up the availability of pad choices (where the biggest difference will be made, assuming your tires are good enough).

Someone brought up which brake pads will work in the GE calipers. Can anyone confirm the GD or other Honda pads (EG, EK, DC2, etc.) will work in the GE calipers?

Old 07-25-2013, 11:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jsr
As mentioned by a couple of previous posters, what determines the stopping distance of our cars are the tires. The bottom line of whether you *NEED* bigger brakes is this: if you can activate ABS now, you don't need bigger brakes. That means you need better tires. I don't think the Fit needs bigger brakes, but it desperately needs better pads and more pad choices. The whole reason for larger rotors is heat capacity and that only gets pushed when you're repeated stomping on the brakes. During normal commuting, you don't get near the limits of the stock rotors or brake system heat capacity.
Whether the proportioning valve will work depends on the Fit's stock caliper piston size. If it's close to the S2000 piston (2" diameter), then it will work fine and overall brake balance will remain nominal. If the S2000 piston is considerably larger, you'll get too much front brake bias throwing off the brake balance.
I would like the look of larger brakes, but that's just for looks. The Fit doesn't need bigger brakes. But I commend Wafulz for taking the time and effort to offer a very low-cost brake option that opens up the availability of pad choices (where the biggest difference will be made, assuming your tires are good enough).

Someone brought up which brake pads will work in the GE calipers. Can anyone confirm the GD or other Honda pads (EG, EK, DC2, etc.) will work in the GE calipers?
For some people who already upgrade their tires,
a bigger brake would make a different.

First of all, a bigger brake rotor would have more braking power (due to the torque of the larger diameter rotor),
so just a tad push on the brake pedal,
it would already make the car slow down much faster.

This mean a larger brake rotor would make it easier to MODULATE before the brake lock up and cause the ABS to activate.
You know, right at the extreme between locking up the brake and not locking up the brake. (MODULATING at the extreme)

I know because long time ago I owned a Lexus with strong enough factory brake but it is nothing compare to the upgraded Brembo brake that I put on that car later. (and yes that Lexus stock brake still able to lock the wheel no problem)

If I am not mistaken BMW or Mercedes had this system where they automatically push (preload) the brake pad lightly as soon as you let go the gas pedal.
This make the car's brake to response faster when the driver finally push the brake pedal.

so same thing here,
if you have larger rotor, the same initial push of the brake pedal would result in faster deceleration rate compare to smaller rotor,
resulting in shorter final stopping distance due to faster response during panic emergency braking, (that initial few mili seconds count between having your front bumper inside someone else rear bumper or not),...
so larger rotor will help make your car stop faster,
of course this assuming you already upgrade your tire to high performance tire.

also, don't forget about the heat capacity,
as soon as you press hard on that pedal for that dead or alive emergency braking, the temperature on the rotor and on the pads will shoot up so high,
that it will make it hard for the rotor and pads to maintain it's optimal operation range,
while with larger rotor and brake pads, it will have that extra "reserve power" so it still able to be modulated.

a brake rotor is basically a heat sink that convert moving energy into heat,
and the larger the rotor, the larger the capacity to release that heat at any given time,
so at same period of time, the larger rotor will be able to convert more moving energy into heat,
resulting in faster stopping distance without locking up the wheel/tire, assuming the tire still have enough grip to keep on
rolling.

as soon as I have a budget, I will upgrade my stock front brake to Brembo 6 piston caliper with 355mm rotor and of course also upgrade my rear drum brake with disk brake rotor with the 12in custom made rotor that I already had.

Yes, I mainly doing this for looks,
but at the same time, I am willing to bet money,
that I will be able to stop faster than any other Honda Fit out there with stock front brake rotor and stock front brake caliper (no matter what kind of upgraded brake pads it have), as long as that other Honda Fit had similar weight to my car (meaning no gutted race interior).

why I am willing to bet money?
Because I once had first hand experience how powerful a 13in rotor with Brembo 4 piston F40 style caliper compare to factory standard 12in rotor with 2 piston sliding caliper was (in a Lexus).

That is why I am convinced for sure a Brembo with 6 piston caliper and even bigger 14in rotor in a light weight Honda Fit will be even more powerful than my old Brembo setup in my previous car.

Right now, I already have a decent quality tire with quite healthy size,
which is Michelin Pilot Super Sport size 225/40ZR18, (same tire compound as
in Ferrari 599 GTO and 458 Italia)

and yet, I still feel scared when I do panic braking from 80mph on freeway when someone in front of me brake suddenly,...
because my Honda Fit with stock brake still do not stop fast enough,
because that front stock brake is way too small.
Yes, I do activate the ABS (eventually), but the time it took before the car slow down (before the ABS engage due to lock up) is too long,
and the brake pedal is impossible to modulate at such extreme panic application.

I remember with a Brembo on my other car, the car slow down very rapidly and immediately right after you push the brake pedal,
so the response time here play a very important key in stopping your car.
(shorter total stopping distance).

also don't forget when the ABS engage and it give that pulse between pressure and no pressure to the brake pads,...
the larger rotor will immediately give stronger brake torque at EACH POSITIVE PULSE of the ABS... and again this will make a different,
because that ABS can pulse several time each second !

so even at FULL ABS activated mode, the larger rotor and brake caliper will stop faster then the smaller rotor and brake caliper.

Upgrading brake might be expensive,
and it might not win you any races on the street, (actually bigger brake will slow you down due to the weight and the inertia weight of the rotor)...
but it could make a different between going home safely or not going home at all (aka dead).

again, the general theory is if you can activate your ABS that mean your brake is strong enough,
but don't forget the devil is in the detail, and with good tire compound,
the larger rotor will give you better stopping distance.

I mean, most likely people who upgrade their brake will upgrade their wheel, tire and suspension first before upgrading their brake...

and as soon as I have budget to buy Brembo front brake for my car,
I will be ready to recoup that investment if someone here wants to do a bet with real money in which car can stop faster.

oh last,
our Honda Fit (unlike older Honda) do NOT have any proportioning valve,
all the proportioning were now done by the VSA system which is basically a traction control.
so most likely your brake bias will always be ideal with Honda Fit,
since the VSA system proportionate the braking force to each wheel
based on the input in receive from the speed sensor at real time.

in the end, you don't have to upgrade your brake to brembo,
an upgrade using Honda's larger rotor and caliper will surely help your braking power too even at full ABS activated mode.

Honda put that small front rotor and caliper on Honda Fit not because
they think it is already enough to provide the shortest stopping distance,
but they choose that size because most likely it will be enough for normal stopping distance and cost cheap enough to fit within their target price for the whole car. after all the shortest stopping distance is not going to win prospective buyer

but if you want to get the shortest stopping distance, then upgrading your front rotor after you upgrade your wheel, tire and suspension is a must,
usually, MONEY DO NOT LIE

usually, people think they do not need bigger brakes,
right until they need to stop in a hurry,
yes it will not happened everyday, but at that moment before impact...
well, money means nothing if we were dead...

Ok, I think I talk long enough hahaha... and I don't want to argue anymore beyond what I had said above,...
so believe what you want to believe,
but I believe in larger rotor and brake caliper will stop my car faster because I had experienced it first hand

don't believe me, don't have to buy Brembo,
just try the larger rotor the way Wafulz had,
you will feel the different right away (and you can actually measure (the stopping distance) too)...

Last edited by BMW ALPINA; 07-25-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Regdog77
I think this brake kit will work. I will be doing this on my integra first. Here is the link DIY: The No BS Bolt on Big brakes for RS/GS/LS/GSR - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
It uses mini rotors. My question will our proportioning valve support this ok?
Our Honda Fit do NOT use any proportioning valve,
but all the brake proportioning were handled by the VSA system (part of traction control) based on real time input on each wheel speed sensor,
so I think you can upgrade your brake rotors/caliper and our Honda Fit will still have good brake bias.
I checked because I plan to put larger Master cylinder too and I check where all the hard brake lines go after the Master Cylinder, and they go directly to the VSA unit.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:31 AM
jsr
5 Year Member
Most of what you wrote is correct. I did mention heat capacity of the larger rotors in my post. While the larger rotor does provide additonal break torque, the effect is far less than that of the pad material. What you felt with the change to the brembos is the difference in pad material rsulting in a different coeffieicent throughout the braking range and potentially more swept area in he pad. One advantage of improved pads is the higher initial "bite" which is really the coefficient of friction of the pads at low temp (not cold though). The coefficient of friction changes as the pads temp increases. The brembo may have also had a different sized piston area. The proper thing to do with a larger rotor is to actually downsize the caliper piston area but that's typically not followed. This creates more front bias and often improved initial bite and can provide improved braking stability (instability comes from locking the rears first), but too much results on longer brake distances even though initial bite is improved. What BMW and MB were doing with preloading the pads is improve initial bite and response without using an aggressive pad compound that results in high brake dust and more noise. Also, much of what you mention is only applicable when cars are pushed to the extreme repeatedly. As i stated earlier, for daily commuting, the brake heat capacity of the stock system is not exceeded, even under a single hard stop. Do it 4 times or so in close succession will exceed it, but thats not typical for daily commuting. Regarding the improved modulation, that is due to the more rigid caliper providing improved brake force distribution, especially noticable when more force is applied. But people don't need to modulate much when panic stopping in daily commute.
While I enjoy bigger brakes as much as the next enthisiast, there is too much improvement associated to the BBKs themselves due to misinformation and marketing by the BBK companies. Much of that improvement for daily driving can be had with properly chosen pad compounds and brake fluids. But getting the actual info out is more difficult since many choose to believe whats needed to justify their purchase. BBKs can make big improvenents (when properly executed), but simpler methods can be equally effective for daily use. We're not talking about track duty here.

Last edited by jsr; 07-26-2013 at 12:34 AM. Reason: typos galore via tablet
Old 07-26-2013, 01:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jsr
Most of what you wrote is correct. I did mention heat capacity of the larger rotors in my post. While the larger rotor does provide additonal break torque, the effect is far less than that of the pad material. What you felt with the change to the brembos is the difference in pad material rsulting in a different coeffieicent throughout the braking range and potentially more swept area in he pad. One advantage of improved pads is the higher initial "bite" which is really the coefficient of friction of the pads at low temp (not cold though). The coefficient of friction changes as the pads temp increases. The brembo may have also had a different sized piston area. The proper thing to do with a larger rotor is to actually downsize the caliper piston area but that's typically not followed. This creates more front bias and often improved initial bite and can provide improved braking stability (instability comes from locking the rears first), but too much results on longer brake distances even though initial bite is improved. What BMW and MB were doing with preloading the pads is improve initial bite and response without using an aggressive pad compound that results in high brake dust and more noise. Also, much of what you mention is only applicable when cars are pushed to the extreme repeatedly. As i stated earlier, for daily commuting, the brake heat capacity of the stock system is not exceeded, even under a single hard stop. Do it 4 times or so in close succession will exceed it, but thats not typical for daily commuting. Regarding the improved modulation, that is due to the more rigid caliper providing improved brake force distribution, especially noticable when more force is applied. But people don't need to modulate much when panic stopping in daily commute.
While I enjoy bigger brakes as much as the next enthisiast, there is too much improvement associated to the BBKs themselves due to misinformation and marketing by the BBK companies. Much of that improvement for daily driving can be had with properly chosen pad compounds and brake fluids. But getting the actual info out is more difficult since many choose to believe whats needed to justify their purchase. BBKs can make big improvenents (when properly executed), but simpler methods can be equally effective for daily use. We're not talking about track duty here.
ok, just one last response from me,
cause I really don't want to debate too much this day unless there are money to be made
(I am getting old now and time is money hahaha)...

if you used the same Honda OEM stock compound,
or heck used the same EBC or Hawk or other performance brake pad compound,
but used larger Rotor and Larger Brake caliper,
which one will stop our Honda Fit faster?

or, compare the stock Honda Fit rotor, with the larger rotor proposed by Wafulz, then use the same brake pad compound and same caliper,
which one will stop faster?

I am pretty sure that the larger rotor proposed by Wafulz will stop faster,
perhaps by 12inch difference in stopping distance only,
but every inches count to prevent accident.

yes, you might be able to achieve the same braking distance with the smaller honda fit rotor using more aggressive brake pad against larger rotor but with stock brake pad, but if the brake pad compound is the same,
the larger rotor will provide more braking power for sure.

you said that the effect of larger rotor is far less then brake pads,
ok here I give you real world example,
Remember the gear on the mountain bike,
just a slightly larger gear diameter already give night and day difference in the effort you need to put to pedal that bike,
try put a 1 inch smaller rear gear on a mountain bike when you ride it up the mountain, and you will feel how hard it is to pedal,
and when you move to a 1 inch or 2 inch larger diameter,
you will feel how much easier you can pedal that bike UP a mountain road.
now the same with the brake rotor, just 1 or 2 inches larger brake rotor should provide MUCH MORE BRAKE TORQUE too.
so when you say that larger rotor do NOT give that much of a braking power difference, well, that is NOT correct.
You even said that larger rotor will give you more contact patch,
so that mean not only larger rotor give you more brake torque due to diameter, but it will also give you more contact patch per 1 rotation too, so that can only mean larger rotor will provide MUCH MORE braking power when they are larger.

don't forget an aggressive brakes pads with higher friction mean
it will consume your rotor much faster too and to have a brake pads that can stop the rotor with the same braking power with a 1in or 2 inch larger rotor means that brake pads will surely have very very aggressive
coefficient of friction that will eat your stock rotor in very short time. (don't forget that effort you put
with the smaller rear gear mountain bike )

as your opinion that BBK companies misinformed for marketing purposes,
well,
in every higher performance model,
for example regular Mercedes vs AMG,
heck regular Lancer vs the Lancer EVO with Brembo Brakes,
you always see that the higher performing the model is ,the larger their brake rotor is and the shorter stopping distance they had. yes the higher performing model do wear better tire,
but I am confident that the stock brake from NON AMG model will have no problem locking up the wheel of the AMG model with better tire, so why do AMG put BBK ? because BBK do give shorter stopping distance.

all the car manufacturer spec containing STOPPING DISTANCE between their model range show it,
NUMBERS do NOT lie.

so those BBK companies do NOT misinformed,
otherwise manufacturer such as BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Hyundai, Pagani, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche heck all car manufacturer would not put larger BBK because according to your theory,
the smaller stock size brake will still able to activate the ABS and still put the shortest stopping distance...
so why those manufacturer actually willing to put larger BBK (and get shorter braking distance as the result?)
because BBK works as Physics dictate it.

I am talking about road going street car from the manufacturer above that use BBK in their higher performing model. I am not talking about their race car which surely wear BBK

actually, I feel that many poster in many car forum actually try to JUSTIFY themselves for not upgrading their brakes with the simple mantra,
"as long as your ABS still lock your wheel, that mean you have enough braking power", which is not true ! I mean Physics do NOT lie...
if you really want better braking power, there is no substitute for larger rotor and larger brake caliper. don't forget the larger brake caliper/rotor also most likely mean larger contact / friction patch per 1 complete rotation of the rotor/wheel/tire and with the same compound well, for sure it will have stronger braking power.

Imagine, you are a Honda enthusiast,
with upgraded wheel, tire and suspension,
most likely you like to drive fast on freeway DAILY,
and occasionally have a street race,...
so you were doing like 90mph (which of course is not legal but I am sure many here done often), and suddenly you need to brake hard,
will the stock brake rotor had enough heat sink capacity to convert that moving energy into heat fast enough to stop or slow down the car from such high speed?
will a larger brake rotor help stop the car faster?

yes, if you compare the stopping distance from 30mph to 0mph,
of course most likely the stock brake have similar stopping distance compare to BBK, but the higher the speed, the more different the result will be... and most likely the people here with upgraded wheel and tire
will travel at higher speed on average compare to the people who keep their car 100% stock.

I mean people who is thinking of upgrading their brake most likely like to drive (ahem) a bit over the speed limit.

so as I had said,
just try put larger rotor like Wafulz did,
but use the same compound then compare your braking distance,
I am pretty sure, you will appreciate the "small" shorter distance difference

and, yes, as I had said, I do plan to balance my front brake rotor and rear brake rotor as close as possible, that is why my front rotor will be 14in and the rear rotor will be 12in, so this will help the VSA distribute the braking bias power more easily within their original parameter.

now this is what you post before:
Originally Posted by jsr

First, what determines the stopping distance of our car is NOT just the tires,
because Honda do NOT choose the size of our brakes because they think
our rotor will give the shortest stopping distance but they choose the current "tiny size" because
Honda thinks this rotors fit their target price and strong enough for most typical buyer of Fit who don't modify their car...
remember last year you post this when you are talking about suspension

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/971947-post4.html
Originally Posted by jsr
I do believe in Honda's engineering, but also understand that the Fit is a economy car and thus the suspension is tuned with such compromises in mind for a car in this market. Plus if we all believed so much in Honda's engineering, no one would ever mod their Fit. I was hoping to be able to drop the rear just a tad without having to spend money on aftermarket springs. I found out GD springs fit, but the OEM spring rate is much higher than the GE's, so not sure how that would go with the OEM GE fronts. I'd refer not to cut the springs though. Guess I'll have to save up for some decent springs. Thanks for the suggestions.
based on your post above, you are willing to accept that Honda's engineering can be improved for suspension,
but why when it came to our brakes,
you already so sure that a bigger rotor will not improve the braking distance?
why do you feel confident that Honda had choosen the ultimate rotor size for our car simply because it still can lock our upgraded wheel and tire...

you are willing to believe other people who said that tire is the only factor that can improve the stopping distance for our car,
but at the same time you also believe those same people that said that the brake pads can also improve the braking performance (stopping distance)...
I am very sure those poster NEVER had their stock brakes upgraded to a much larger BBK,
otherwise, they would certainly PRAISE how much faster their car stop now.
all their opinion were based mostly from reading other people post but they never try a BBK in real world scenario.

now let me point out the CONTRADICTORY in the logic of those poster:
they believe that mantra,... (about ABS)
which mean
since the stock brake rotor with STOCK BRAKE PADS can still lock your upgraded wheel and tire,
then
upgrading to higher performing brake pad will NOT make any different at all in stopping distance !

so following what you believe, there is no need to upgrade the brake at all,
not even upgrading the brake pad,
since stock brake pad still able to lock the wheel/tire anyway

Again, just check the spec of all the Mercedes standard model vs. their AMG model and you can see that tire is NOT the only factor that improve those AMG braking performance/stopping distance.

or as I had said, just try Wafulz brake rotor modification and you can surely feel the stronger braking power and stopping distance too...

Look, I am so sure that the BBK especially big Brembo Caliper and Rotor combo will stop your car faster because
I had OWNED them before.
so it was based on My Own Personal Real World Experience of upgrading stock Lexus brake to Brembo brake.
if you had never upgrade your stock brake to Brembo, you might be skeptical about the performance (stopping distance) improvement...
especially if you are bombarded with the mantra " as long as your stock brake can lock your wheel ...no need to get BBK"...
It is hard to believe me, unless you had owned a BBK yourself..., and most likely the people who say " no need to get BBK" had never owned a BBK themselves... so how can they know the real world differences
if they never have a BBK upgrade on their car?...
but then again they will never knew because for some reasons they will never buy a BBK in the first place

ok, after the post above, I promise I won't debate you anymore
you can have the last word
just don't feel like to debate anymore this day...
at the end, the people who do not want to buy BBK will not buy BBK,
and the people who want to buy BBK, will still buy BBK hahaha
plus, I am not gaining any money from this, cause, I am not a seller of any BBK at all,
so don't feel like debating anymore unless there is money to be made hahaha

talking about money, as I had said, anybody who want
to bet REAL MONEY with me is welcome to do that after I upgrade to BBK.
Let's put REAL MONEY to where our opinion is,...
I mean if all those poster are so sure that BBK will not be able to improve the braking distance then they will surely don't mind having a bet with me since they will win for sure... right?

I also don't mind to do a bet so hopefully I can recoup some of the investment I am going to put for this BBK that I plan to buy.

Basically, what I am asking is just the car had to still be equipped with complete interior and body works (not gutted interior).
(similar in weight to stock car like mine).

Remember the THEME of the bet is to prove whether a larger rotor (BBK) can improve the braking distance of the car or not compare to stock rotor WITH OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL (similar in tire compound, and weight).

you can have any tires size and any brand as long as it is still STREET COMPOUND tires, and not some racing slicks and not some SHAVED DOT race tires that pretend to be road legal hahaha,
because remember we are doing this for real street application.
if you want to compare it with racing slicks, then I should be wearing racing slicks too.
Remember my wheel is 18in so it is already heavier and I already got handicapped by the weight of the wheel and tire (and my sound dampening material).
plus, my car is AUTOMATIC transmission so my car will be even heavier, and I don't mind to bet with other car who have stock brakes with Manual Transmission.
you can change your brake pads with after market brake pads,
but the rotor and caliper have to be stock,.
and lets go have a bet with real money of whose car can stop faster

Hopefully I can have the budget to buy BBK in about 6 months from today !
I am still saving the money now, but I will get it no matter what, and no matter how long it will take
for me to save the money, after all I already had the rear 12in disk brake rotor ready now...

Last edited by BMW ALPINA; 07-26-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:05 AM
jsr
5 Year Member
ok, just one last response from me,
cause I really don't want to debate too much this day unless there are money to be made
(I am getting old now and time is money hahaha)...
I don't care about last words or responses. I'm trying to inform my fellow Fit enthusiasts on how braking systems work without the marketing behind it. And I am older than most on this forum.

if you used the same Honda OEM stock compound,
or heck used the same EBC or Hawk or other performance brake pad compound,
but used larger Rotor and Larger Brake caliper,
which one will stop our Honda Fit faster?
The answer is "depends". Making an assumption that a larger rotor and caliper will definitely stop faster is incorrect. Whether the car stops faster comes down to how effective that rotor/caliper/pad material makes maximum use of the tires (the dynamics of weight transfer come into play as well). Overload the front tires from too large a rotor and/or caliper and you'll simply lock the front too soon resulting in longer brake distances. Properly designed brakes are not that simple.
I'm not saying Wafulz's setup wouldn't make an improvement necessarily. It may improve initial bite, consistency of the coefficient of friction throughout the temp range (due to difference pad compound, swept area for heat distribution, etc.), but it's not as simple as just saying "bigger is better".

don't forget an aggressive brakes pads with higher friction mean
it will consume your rotor much faster too.
Yes, and this is one of several reasons why OEMs employ other means to improve various traits of braking without using aggressive pads.

as your opinion that BBK companies misinformed for marketing purposes,
well,
in every higher performance model,
for example regular Mercedes vs AMG,
heck regular Lancer vs the Lancer EVO with Brembo Brakes,
you always see that the higher performing the model is ,the larger their brake rotor is and the shorter stopping distance they had. yes the higher performing model do wear better tire,
but I am confident that the stock brake from NON AMG model will have no problem locking up the wheel of the AMG model with better tire, so why do AMG put BBK ? because BBK do give shorter stopping distance.

so those BBK companies do NOT misinformed,
otherwise manufacturer such as BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Hyundai, Pagani, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche heck all car manufacturer would not put larger BBK because according to your theory,
the smaller stock size brake will still able to activate the ABS and still put the shortest stopping distance...
so why those manufacturer actually willing to put larger BBK (and get shorter braking distance as the result?)
because BBK works as Physics dictate it.
Every business exists to make money and within that, there is marketing which helps spin certain facts/fictions.
I never said a BBK is completely useless, has no benefits, etc. I'm trying to educate consumers that the "bigger is better" idea promoted by BBK companies isn't necessarily true or accurate. And you can't compare OEMs to an aftermarket BBK setup. The OEMs do quite a bit of research to not disturb the brake balance the larger setup with carefully chosen compounds and brake force distribution to ensure proper braking (I'm still not saying better necessarily). But even with OEMs, there is marketing there. Would the OEM BBK improve braking on a daily driven vehicle?...depends on how inadequate the sliding caliper version is for the specific driver's daily commute. Will the OEM BBK improve braking under repeatedly harsh conditions (i.e. track)? YES. This is where a PROPERLY DESIGNED BBK system will show it's improvements.

You continue to argue that a BBK will blindly make improvements. My point is that under certain conditions of use, a properly designed BBK definitely will make improvements. But for a daily driven vehicle, the OEM brake system is adequate (not perfect) for the daily commute as long as tires are adequate.

I'm running out of time to adequately address all your points (that you so helpfully made bold and colorful). Regarding tires, yes, that is the main item stopping your car. The brakes must be designed to maximize the use of the friction generated by the tires. So that means the brakes can be improved if the tires are improved (i.e. such as race slicks, the OEM brakes are then inadequate to maximize the use of the friction generated by the race slicks). There is improvement available in the brake system. I never said there wasn't. You're misreading, or misunderstanding. I'm saying the OE brake system is adequate for the daily use of the car with plenty of improvements that can be had via pad compound choices and tire choices. The advantages of BBKs do not affect most daily driving conditions (which wasn't the point of BBKs in the first place when they were designed for racing).

If we want to throw experience into things, I use to pit crew for race teams and have quite a bit of experience working with suspension and brake systems, so I've likely had a bit more experience than most with various systems, their tuning, the engineering behind it, for such items.

I'm not arguing with what's been said, by you or others. I'm simply providing facts of how brake systems work and what real improvements can be had for what situations.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jsr
I don't care about last words or responses. I'm trying to inform my fellow Fit enthusiasts on how braking systems work without the marketing behind it. And I am older than most on this forum.

The answer is "depends". Making an assumption that a larger rotor and caliper will definitely stop faster is incorrect. Whether the car stops faster comes down to how effective that rotor/caliper/pad material makes maximum use of the tires (the dynamics of weight transfer come into play as well). Overload the front tires from too large a rotor and/or caliper and you'll simply lock the front too soon resulting in longer brake distances. Properly designed brakes are not that simple.
I'm not saying Wafulz's setup wouldn't make an improvement necessarily. It may improve initial bite, consistency of the coefficient of friction throughout the temp range (due to difference pad compound, swept area for heat distribution, etc.), but it's not as simple as just saying "bigger is better".

Yes, and this is one of several reasons why OEMs employ other means to improve various traits of braking without using aggressive pads.

Every business exists to make money and within that, there is marketing which helps spin certain facts/fictions.
I never said a BBK is completely useless, has no benefits, etc. I'm trying to educate consumers that the "bigger is better" idea promoted by BBK companies isn't necessarily true or accurate. And you can't compare OEMs to an aftermarket BBK setup. The OEMs do quite a bit of research to not disturb the brake balance the larger setup with carefully chosen compounds and brake force distribution to ensure proper braking (I'm still not saying better necessarily). But even with OEMs, there is marketing there. Would the OEM BBK improve braking on a daily driven vehicle?...depends on how inadequate the sliding caliper version is for the specific driver's daily commute. Will the OEM BBK improve braking under repeatedly harsh conditions (i.e. track)? YES. This is where a PROPERLY DESIGNED BBK system will show it's improvements.

You continue to argue that a BBK will blindly make improvements. My point is that under certain conditions of use, a properly designed BBK definitely will make improvements. But for a daily driven vehicle, the OEM brake system is adequate (not perfect) for the daily commute as long as tires are adequate.

I'm running out of time to adequately address all your points (that you so helpfully made bold and colorful). Regarding tires, yes, that is the main item stopping your car. The brakes must be designed to maximize the use of the friction generated by the tires. So that means the brakes can be improved if the tires are improved (i.e. such as race slicks, the OEM brakes are then inadequate to maximize the use of the friction generated by the race slicks). There is improvement available in the brake system. I never said there wasn't. You're misreading, or misunderstanding. I'm saying the OE brake system is adequate for the daily use of the car with plenty of improvements that can be had via pad compound choices and tire choices. The advantages of BBKs do not affect most daily driving conditions (which wasn't the point of BBKs in the first place when they were designed for racing).

If we want to throw experience into things, I use to pit crew for race teams and have quite a bit of experience working with suspension and brake systems, so I've likely had a bit more experience than most with various systems, their tuning, the engineering behind it, for such items.

I'm not arguing with what's been said, by you or others. I'm simply providing facts of how brake systems work and what real improvements can be had for what situations.

Thank You for your kind reply
I guess we just have to agree to disagree

but it's look like we have similar taste and CAN AGREE when it came to modifying how our car looks, that you like some Mugen stuff and some other aero modification based on your old post...

anyway,
I am also always MONEY ORIENTED hahaha...
(sales and marketing is always in my blood)...
well, every body needs money to modify their car,
and I have to say that I admit I had such a THICK SKIN and so Have NO SHAME,
that after debating with you above on the topic of the brake,
and reading your past post,
I am still going to offer you some stuff to buy

I notice that more than 1 year ago,
you were interested in modifying your side skirt to SPORT model side skirt,
and you are specifically looking for TAFFETA White colored Sport side skirt...

well, if you still want to buy a pair of Sport side skirt in Taffeta White,
then
I want to offer you my Sport Taffeta White side skirt which still in like new condition (even after 4,500 miles)...

I am still using it, so I need to take it off from the car if you are interested.
I want to sell both left and right side skirt as pair for just $250,
and since I am in Anaheim (Southern California), you can do local pick up.

The price at Bernardi Honda Parts are $170.10 EACH without shipping cost,
so for a pair it will be at least $400 with Bernardi handling charge and UPS shipping cost...
(if you buy them brand new from Bernardi Honda).
here are the links:
http://www.bernardiparts.com/product...TF0-J01ZK.aspx(left side)
http://www.bernardiparts.com/product...TF0-J01ZK.aspx (right side)

The reason for the sale of this side skirt is because I want to buy JDM RS Mugen Side Skirt...
so if I can pre sold my USDM Sport side skirt now, then I can expedite the modification

LATER, I also want to sell my stock USDM rear axle (sport) which have the integrated factory sway bar,
(after I install my JDM RS Rear Axle with disk brake)
so my stock USDM sport rear axle it could be utilized for people who want to upgrade their rear axle base model,
because the rear axle of base model do not came with integrated sway bar.

and I also have rear bumper in Taffeta white again this was taken even earlier when the car had only around 2350 miles so it still in like new condition too. (this one ready to sell now)

I hope you don't mind to do business with me even after our "hot" debate above

Last edited by BMW ALPINA; 07-27-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:21 PM
jsr
5 Year Member
No problems whatsoever Alpina. Yes, there will always be differing opinions on every topic. It's nice to have discussions that remain polite and respective. A bit of heat just shows our passion for our hobbies and interest.

Yes, I do like a few appearance items on my Fit. It's my daily beater as my commute is quite long, but being in it so much does drive me to want to look nice (though my car is super dirty). I'll definitely consider your side skirts. I have to find a way to attach them to my car though as my car doesn't have the square cutouts for the kits. My priorities are elsewhere these days though, which is why I'm not on the boards (or any automotive forum) very often.

I'm still open to any info regarding pads that are compatible with GE calipers.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jsr
No problems whatsoever Alpina. Yes, there will always be differing opinions on every topic. It's nice to have discussions that remain polite and respective. A bit of heat just shows our passion for our hobbies and interest.

Yes, I do like a few appearance items on my Fit. It's my daily beater as my commute is quite long, but being in it so much does drive me to want to look nice (though my car is super dirty). I'll definitely consider your side skirts. I have to find a way to attach them to my car though as my car doesn't have the square cutouts for the kits. My priorities are elsewhere these days though, which is why I'm not on the boards (or any automotive forum) very often.

I'm still open to any info regarding pads that are compatible with GE calipers.
Hi JSR,

If you want a high performance brake pads,
Mugen had 2 type specifically for GE caliper,
one is Touring type and the other is Sport type.

Here are the part number and the links to it,
you can buy it directly from vendor at Rakuten or Amazon Japan:
Fit - PARTS - BRAKING - MUGEN

https://online.mugen-power.com/b2c/b...13qfo0n36pmbo3

SPORTS BRAKE PAD TYPE-TOURING(FRONT)
Prd.# : 45022-XLF -K200

SPORTS BRAKE PAD TYPE-SPORTS(FRONT)
Prd.# : 45022-XLT -K000

Just enter the PRD.# (part number above) at Rakuten Japan or Amazon Japan and you will find several vendor selling them

by the way,
I just finished installing my Front Lips from Honda Fit Shuttle (Modulo/Honda Access).
I remember you also interested in front lips from JDP...
I will post pictures after this on the Exterior Sub Forum for GE

Old 07-26-2013, 05:06 PM
I have no problem with anyone wanting to upgrade the brakes on their Fit.I feel the stock brakes are ok for most street situations and even light track with a few upgrades.

I'm talking Motul fluid,Hawk pads,Stainless lines.That is all I will do if I upgrade at all.I've found that the stock brakes along with Swift springs and better 205 tires make a significant difference when stoping.

I have hauled my Fit down from speed in the canyons and avoided hitting deer a couple of times now.The springs help control the nose dive and my 205 Kumho tires provide enough grip to make smooth controled stops.

The one thing I've encountered is cooking the brakes on really steep downhill runs.I use as much engine braking as possible and it helps but not much on the extreme downhill canyon runs.If I can cool the brakes for short periods theres no problem.

I'm sure a larger rotor with more surface to disipate heat would be sweet but I don't need it for my car.I'm just not going to dump money into this car like my Mustang

and then turn around and have to sell a bunch of parts at a loss if I trade my Fit in or sell it.It's good to have the options for big brakes as long as the weight does not hurt you to much.