3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fuel Mileage Related Discussions

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
wasserball - I've also found that all of our BMW's ecu/mileage numbers over the years consistently overstate the mileage -- somewhere on the order of 5-7%. The few times I've checked it, the Fit ecu number has been within a few tenths of a calculated number (miles over fill-up).

I'm at about 20,600 miles on the "A" trip odometer --- 40.3 mpg. Mom passed in early April, so my highway trips between Augusta and Charlotte have stopped -- that's going to bring the 40.3 number down.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Michael Yount
wasserball - I've also found that all of our BMW's ecu/mileage numbers over the years consistently overstate the mileage -- somewhere on the order of 5-7%. The few times I've checked it, the Fit ecu number has been within a few tenths of a calculated number (miles over fill-up).

I'm at about 20,600 miles on the "A" trip odometer --- 40.3 mpg. Mom passed in early April, so my highway trips between Augusta and Charlotte have stopped -- that's going to bring the 40.3 number down.
My sincere sympathy to you. Now, I found my BMW to be on the accurate side, but I never really took the time to determine how far off is the mpg number. There is a thread dedicated to the Fit mpg accuracy. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...alculator.html I know the opinions do not come from rigorous calculations, which require using the Fit's ODO, and assuring yourself that the amount of gasoline used is accurate, and not just filling the tank when the nozzle clicking off. The way I do is to top the tank off at the beginning and at the end. This way I know exactly how much gas is used.

I use the avg mpg indication to determine when to fill the tank. For example, if the average mpg reads 46 mpg, then I won't consider filling the tank until my trip A ODO, which was reset when I fill the tank, reads 460 miles because I know the tank holds more than 10 gallons of gasoline. In areas where I know to have abundant gas stations, I won't fill the tank until there is no bar showing in the indicator. After driving a few miles with no bar showing, I can fill the tank to 11.1 to 11.2 gallons. Yes, you read right. By doing what I do, I minimize the time I have to go to the gas stations.

Last edited by wasserball; 05-30-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:53 PM
5 Year Member
Just keep in mind anything "city" isn't really indicative of anything except your traffic density and road design. Even a Fit is down to 0 mpg if waiting in a line of traffic (that's where hybrids come into their own). Similarly if you have to stop and start at every block because of stop signs you're losing energy at each stop (plus brake wear and tear -- I wish they would use more yield signs in the USA as they do in other countries).

I don't have the exact numbers with me right now but when I puttered along rural highways with gently rolling hills at a strict 55 mph in our 2016 CVT two months ago we got about 52 mpg. When I did 65 mph on the freeway it dropped to about 48 mpg. This was along the lines of what I observed on a similar trip last summer (only 4,000 more miles on the car since then -- we don't drive much).

Old 06-07-2017, 06:30 PM
jpm
Hello, I’m new to the Fit world. Purchased my used 2016 Fit LX a little less than a month ago. I’ve been reading through this thread a bit and was just wondering about my mileage so far.

My last fill-up (didn’t over fill) netted me 287 miles at 38.7mpg when the gas light came on, with two ticks left on the gas gauge and an estimated 26 miles range. I drive a mix of highway and city and at a 38.7mpg I was expecting closer to a 380 type range overall since the Fit has a 10.6 gallon tank

I assumed I’d make it into the low 300’s before the gas light went on. During that tank I didn’t use any AC and very little cruise, and don’t remember idling much outside of red lights. I was filling up my last car every 200 miles so this I’m still happy with 300 miles per tank.

I just filled up again yesterday and reset trip A. Coming from the tank fill-up described above the car took just under 8 gallon to fill (again, didn’t over fill). When I arrived home from work today I had 27.9 miles at 39.6mpg with a range of 350 miles and only 1 tick gone from the gas gauge. This is more in line with my expectations (377.9 total tank range) assuming it sticks. I’m going to pay more attention to the range indicator this tank to see if it lowers in line with the mileage I’m driving.

Just wondering if overall this seems normal? This is currently only my third fill-up since purchase.

Last edited by jpm; 06-07-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jpm
Hello, I’m new to the Fit world. Purchased my used 2016 Fit LX a little less than a month ago. I’ve been reading through this thread a bit and was just wondering about my mileage so far.

My last fill-up (didn’t over fill) netted me 287 miles at 38.7mpg when the gas light came on, with two ticks left on the gas gauge and an estimated 26 miles range. I drive a mix of highway and city and at a 38.7mpg I was expecting closer to a 380 type range overall since the Fit has a 10.6 gallon tank

I assumed I’d make it into the low 300’s before the gas light went on. During that tank I didn’t use any AC and very little cruise, and don’t remember idling much outside of red lights. I was filling up my last car every 200 miles so this I’m still happy with 300 miles per tank.

I just filled up again yesterday and reset trip A. Coming from the tank fill-up described above the car took just under 8 gallon to fill (again, didn’t over fill). When I arrived home from work today I had 27.9 miles at 39.6mpg with a range of 350 miles and only 1 tick gone from the gas gauge. This is more in line with my expectations (377.9 total tank range) assuming it sticks. I’m going to pay more attention to the range indicator this tank to see if it lowers in line with the mileage I’m driving.

Just wondering if overall this seems normal? This is currently only my third fill-up since purchase.
Ah, the eternal question of Honda mileage and the various gauges on the displays. They bary from WAGs to SWAGs (Wild Ass Guess to Scientific Wild Ass Guess.) There's a lot of factors to consider. 10.6 gallon tank, but how much gas in the pipe between the filler and the tank, the ambient temp, and the accuracy of the cutoff, etc.

If the A trip is set to zero at fill up, drive a few miles. Range and Trip A should add to between 325 and 350. The tank is probably full. The pump icon will go on with approximately 60 miles range left although the range number will indicate 25 or so. Obviously this is MY WAG. In my experience over 4 Hondas (Civic SW, Civic EX, Civic Si, and now Fit EX), they don't get their best mileage until after 5000 nukes>miles wth did nukes come from? Late night distracted typing?

Last edited by KentFinn; 06-08-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jpm

Go to fuelly.com and sign in and keep track of your mileage there. You can also see what other cars are getting.

Temperature and speed are two major factors affecting MPG. Before the engine warms up, mileage is low. Driving 60+ will lower mileage considerably. In the colder months, I barely average 40 mpg. As soon as the warm weather arrives, I get over 40 mpg.

Of course, sitting in traffic and starting and stopping kill mileage. You are getting zero miles per gallon sitting at a red light. I know of several long lights in my area, and I shut off the engine. I can tell by traffic movement when to restart. Also, coast as much as you can.

You'd be surprised how far you can go without having your foot on the gas pedal. I live in a hilly area, and I can average 52 mpg going into town and 44 mpg coming back. Downhill vs uphill.

The fuel gauges and electronics in the Fit are a suggestion, not absolute.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:15 PM
jpm
Thanks for the responses. I wasn't aware the read-outs were more of an estimate. I signed up for Fuelly and will begin tracking on next fill up. So far I'm still on track for a 370 mile tank and I'm about 8 0miles in right now.

Silver, I always thought it took more gas to start a car than it takes to idle for a little while? Is that not true anymore for something like a Fit? Are you shutting off your car just for the MPG readout or does the Fit take very little gas to start vs. idling?

I also have an Automatic, I contacted them and they said a 2016 Fit reports gas levels but the Automatic always reports I have much more range than the car itself.

Kent, I bought this Fit used and it had 6,000 miles on it already so hopefully it's already broken in .

Old 06-09-2017, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jpm

Kent, I bought this Fit used and it had 6,000 miles on it already so hopefully it's already broken in .
All though I've had my 2015 EX 6 speed manual since 5/2/15, I just now reached 5,084 miles. Mostly short trips to the store and places like Walmart. I some times take a neighbor to a doctor or a craft store. It's turning summer now, hot and humid (90 plus). The last trip to Kroger's got 25+ and 40 cents/gal. plus. The trip across town for a leg fitting got 38+. It was 13.8 miles. Kroger's is less than a mile. Gallatin Rd. is hilly, the traffic is heavy, and no one in their right mind would walk it, 5 lanes or not. Overall mileage has been about 32 ... not bad considering the short trips.

Obviously I don't have OCD. Tennessee has just slapped a 9 cent/gal. on gas phased in over 3 years, but lowered the sales tax on grocery food by a penny. With Kroger's discount I figure to break about even.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:42 AM
I purchased my new 2017 EX-L w/Navigation earlier this month. The wife and I recently had our first, short, road trip last week that was about 650km round trip. So far, I am seeing great mileage numbers on this car.

At 2189km, the average fuel mileage has been 6.1l/100km (sorry, I don't do MPG, couldn't tell you what that is) with about 70% highway/30% city driving.

However on our road trip I recorded a fill up of 26.562L after driving 549km, which is 4.84l/100km. This was about 95% highway/5% city driving. I was driving 'normally' for most of this trip, without paying much attention to driving in a fuel efficient manner. I did have it in ECON mode though. I think that I can likely get that mileage down to about 4.5l/100km once the engine is fully broken in and I am actually paying attention.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:08 AM
Old 06-27-2017, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by urbnmnky
I purchased my new 2017 EX-L w/Navigation earlier this month. The wife and I recently had our first, short, road trip last week that was about 650km round trip. So far, I am seeing great mileage numbers on this car.

At 2189km, the average fuel mileage has been 6.1l/100km (sorry, I don't do MPG, couldn't tell you what that is) with about 70% highway/30% city driving.

However on our road trip I recorded a fill up of 26.562L after driving 549km, which is 4.84l/100km. This was about 95% highway/5% city driving. I was driving 'normally' for most of this trip, without paying much attention to driving in a fuel efficient manner. I did have it in ECON mode though. I think that I can likely get that mileage down to about 4.5l/100km once the engine is fully broken in and I am actually paying attention.
When you fill the tank with a small amount (26.562 liter=7.02 gallons) there is a greater margin of error than if you top it off to 11.318 gallons=42.84 liters, yes the tank can hold that much when you are down to fume, trust me, no bar showing) so your fuel mileage can be off. My LX Fit with CVT has been averaging 45-46 mpg (5.11 liter/100km) with AC on and cruise control set at 62 mph (100km/hr). Some have claimed to do better.

Last edited by wasserball; 06-27-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:17 PM
I live in Canada, and own a 2015 Fit EX with a CVT. I bought it new in April of 2015, and have driven it 48,422 kilometres (30,070 miles). I have recorded all my gas purchases, and calculated my mileage for every fill-up, as well as the overall average. The mileage has varied significantly. On short city winter trips, it has been as low as 8.43 litres/100 km (27.9 miles per US gallon). On highway trips, my best mileage was 5.33 litres/100 km (44.13 miles per US gallon). But my accumulated average over the entire distance has been 6.81 litres/100 km (34.51 miles per US gallon), which is pretty close to what I expected. Most of the time my wife and I are both in the car. I would guess that our driving is about 60% city driving. We have cold snowy winters, which affects the mileage significantly for 3 or 4 months of the year. Overall I'm happy with the car, which has been very reliable.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:51 AM
Originally Posted by wasserball
When you fill the tank with a small amount (26.562 liter=7.02 gallons) there is a greater margin of error than if you top it off to 11.318 gallons=42.84 liters, yes the tank can hold that much when you are down to fume, trust me, no bar showing) so your fuel mileage can be off. My LX Fit with CVT has been averaging 45-46 mpg (5.11 liter/100km) with AC on and cruise control set at 62 mph (100km/hr). Some have claimed to do better.
As a Canadian, I tend to fill up whenever I get to about half a tank and always when it gets to about 1/3rd. Why? There's about 5-7 months of the year when there is a very real possibility of death otherwise. No exaggeration, there are parts of the country where you may not see other people for hours (or days) and running out of fuel could cost you your life in the winter. So even during the warmer months, that habit still lives on.

That being said, I do keep a manual record of my fuel usage, so we will see how the numbers even out over the next year-ish.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:23 AM
I agree with you. I normally wait util the red light comes on. before I top up, but when my mother-in-law was ill I never let the car drop below half tank. I never knew when I would be called out during the night, and 24 hour petrol stations are few and far between here (not as bad a Canada though!!).

Old 06-30-2017, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JockoT
I agree with you. I normally wait util the red light comes on. before I top up, but when my mother-in-law was ill I never let the car drop below half tank. I never knew when I would be called out during the night, and 24 hour petrol stations are few and far between here (not as bad a Canada though!!).
Hurricane season = filling up when I get between 1/4 and 1/2 tank.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sebastien Menard
mine is 36.2 by summer time and winter it goes up to 49.7 this is a really bad surprise I got at my first winter.
Wow! My two are just the opposite. We can get to 100°F in the summer and 0 or below in the winter. I average close to 44 MPG in the summer and below 40 MPG in the winter.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
stet stet stet

Last edited by wasserball; 06-30-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by urbnmnky
As a Canadian, I tend to fill up whenever I get to about half a tank and always when it gets to about 1/3rd. Why? There's about 5-7 months of the year when there is a very real possibility of death otherwise. No exaggeration, there are parts of the country where you may not see other people for hours (or days) and running out of fuel could cost you your life in the winter. So even during the warmer months, that habit still lives on.

That being said, I do keep a manual record of my fuel usage, so we will see how the numbers even out over the next year-ish.
Maybe I should trade living arrangement with you for a month or two, to experience what it is like to live in such remote location. Friendswood is a suburb of Houston. You might enjoy the hot muggy summer weather living in a in 306 m^2 house.

Old 07-07-2017, 05:29 PM
I'm looking for advice. I regularly get close to 50mpg highway by rolling at 50mph on cruise. In the city I get below 30mpg. How can I improve my city fuel economy? I'm driving an 08 MT, but I figure any fuel economy discussion could help.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by radioarno
I'm looking for advice. I regularly get close to 50mpg highway by rolling at 50mph on cruise. In the city I get below 30mpg. How can I improve my city fuel economy? I'm driving an 08 MT, but I figure any fuel economy discussion could help.
If the engine is running, it's burning fuel. If you're stopped at lights and in traffic, your MPG is zero. Your only option is to shut off the engine at lights, but will you start quickly enough to satisfy the cars behind you? Here in the country, I know where there are long lights, so I'll shut down and wait, but I know when to restart, either by my watch or when other traffic starts to move.

Quick Reply: Fuel Mileage Related Discussions