3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fuel Mileage Related Discussions

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 07:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Press Fit
Yesterday, I was on a 25 mile mountain descent when I learned the MPG calculator maxes-out at 199.9. What a disappointment! I reached the limit after 20 miles. I still had another 5 miles to go. I wonder why Honda put a limit on the MPG value.

Nice shot!

Old 09-14-2017, 01:42 PM
2017 Honda Fit with terrible MPG!

New owner from Feb 2017 Honda Fit CVT. Have only 2,000 miles but since the beginning terrible gas mileage and it continues. City 24, combined 26 highway 32. Taken into the deal 3 times replace fuel injectors, tweaked other things and it doesn't get any better! Am very unhappy and have gotten Honda Corp. involved. I really regret purchasing this car and I am a 3 time Honda owner.

Old 09-14-2017, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by abdamurph
New owner from Feb 2017 Honda Fit CVT. Have only 2,000 miles but since the beginning terrible gas mileage and it continues. City 24, combined 26 highway 32. Taken into the deal 3 times replace fuel injectors, tweaked other things and it doesn't get any better! Am very unhappy and have gotten Honda Corp. involved. I really regret purchasing this car and I am a 3 time Honda owner.
Outside temperature and speed make a big difference. I just got back from a 700+ mile trip, mostly highway/high speed (up to 80 MPH), and I averaged 47.3 mph. You can see by my Fuelly icon that I've averaged good mileage for over 30,000 miles.

Look at Fuelly.com. 434 Fits, all 2015 models, have averaged 35.1 MPG. The dealer should find out what is causing your low mileage.

Old 09-14-2017, 03:39 PM
I agree they should but they haven't and every time they give it back they say it is getting 33 mpg combined when they return, then when I drive i get 26 mpg and friend drove and got same thing. Even after repairs still same thing and not getting better so don't know what to do anymore!

Old 09-14-2017, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
I agree they should but they haven't and every time they give it back they say it is getting 33 mpg combined when they return, then when I drive i get 26 mpg and friend drove and got same thing. Even after repairs still same thing and not getting better so don't know what to do anymore!
Try Customer Service in California. You can send them a tweet and an email. It took me eighteen months to get my radio/head unit/audio unit replaced, but I kept after them.

Try to go on a controlled ride at moderate speeds, 45 MPH, and document it with whatever pictures you can get of the dashboard display, including the mileage on the car.

When you're cruising along, is the "Current Drive" MPG ever in the 50 MPG range? I don't think I've ever had a trip average below 40 MPG I took a couple of trips to NJ in August, and despite lots of slow traffic, city traffic, and long traffic jams, I averaged over 40 MPG.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:08 PM
I live in California so that is the customer service I have been dealing with. I usually drive more city than highway and in city usually around 45 mph, when I drive on highway it is usually 70 - 75 mph. The main issue is when I get off freeway and do city the mpg drops like crazy and continues to drop, like I said down to 24 or 25 mpg. I do have to stop for traffic lights like most city driving but either way it should not be that low.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:27 AM
5 Year Member
I live in California so that is the customer service I have been dealing with. I usually drive more city than highway and in city usually around 45 mph, when I drive on highway it is usually 70 - 75 mph. The main issue is when I get off freeway and do city the mpg drops like crazy and continues to drop, like I said down to 24 or 25 mpg. I do have to stop for traffic lights like most city driving but either way it should not be that low.
If you see another Fit in a parking lot, or somewhere you can talk to an owner, see what kind of mileage they are getting in your area. 75 MPH and traffic lights are mileage killers. At least you don't have to worry about cold weather. : )

Old 09-15-2017, 11:21 AM
Question about throttle and MPG: I don't understand something. When on hwy in top gear, if I'm off the gas completely, i.e. closed throttle (?) is that using the same amount of gas as idling in neutral? Or does the engine use more gas with increasing rpm even with your foot off the gas? If higher rpm uses more gas even with foot off, does that mean that fuel usage is related both to gas pedal *and* to rpms?

Old 09-15-2017, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by radioarno
Question about throttle and MPG: I don't understand something. When on hwy in top gear, if I'm off the gas completely, i.e. closed throttle (?) is that using the same amount of gas as idling in neutral? Or does the engine use more gas with increasing rpm even with your foot off the gas? If higher rpm uses more gas even with foot off, does that mean that fuel usage is related both to gas pedal *and* to rpms?
Read up on DFCO. When decelerating with foot of the gas it should be using zero to no gas

Old 09-15-2017, 02:00 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Read up on DFCO. When decelerating with foot of the gas it should be using zero to no gas
zero and no gas is same or?

Old 09-16-2017, 02:38 AM
5 Year Member
This makes me wonder, does the throttle actually close when you let off the gas? It seems like the Fit has a lot less engine braking than other manual cars I've driven, but this is my first car new enough to have throttle by wire. Leaving the throttle butterfly open with no fuel seems like it might improve mileage more than it would reduce brake life. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Old 09-16-2017, 11:24 PM
...when I get off freeway and do city the mpg drops like crazy and continues to drop, like I said down to 24 or 25 mpg. I do have to stop for traffic lights like most city driving but either way it should not be that low.
My mileage hovers around 26-27 mostly city, stop and go, and gets up into the low-to-mid-30s if I drive half city half freeway. I drive pretty gently/slowly.

I've gotten north of 40MPG once, driving 65 on the highway with just two people and not a lot of stuff in the car, cruise on, A/C off.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:37 PM
I live in California. My highest highway mileage so far has been 44mpg averaging 42mpg on highway, 37 combined, and 34 city. My lowest mileage was 29mpg when I was driving crazy on the highway at 80-85mph (yes, i was also surprised this car can even go that fast - LOL). Now, that 29 mpg also included some stop n go city driving AND I filled up at 1/4 of a tank. I haven't seen that lower than that and only that one occurrence. I usually drive with cruise control on the highway between 62-66mph with the occasional burst to pass. In the city, I also try to be conservative and no jack rabbit starts/stops. Not sure if it really matters, but I have the eco-button on all the time. I also use the A/C when it's hot out city and highway.

The above computations were hand calculated and not the vehicle's DIC.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:12 PM
Exclamation

I've driven between Sacramento and SF a couple of times and MAN do people drive fast on that route. I drove there on an early Saturday morning and it was 85-90 MPH bumper-to-bumper traffic. I couldn't believe our Prius could actually go that fast. Lowest mileage we've ever gotten on that car (mid-30s).

Much respect to the reflexes that people have that let them drive that fast on the regular.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by The Fitness
I've driven between Sacramento and SF a couple of times and MAN do people drive fast on that route. I drove there on an early Saturday morning and it was 85-90 MPH bumper-to-bumper traffic. I couldn't believe our Prius could actually go that fast. Lowest mileage we've ever gotten on that car (mid-30s).

Much respect to the reflexes that people have that let them drive that fast on the regular.
That's funny!

Old 10-14-2017, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Bear Knuckles

My Second Fuel Up, Guys!
  • Fuel Light Came On at 36 Mile Range (Two Bars Left)
  • Drove Until One 15 Mile Range (One Bar Left)
  • Econ Button Off the Whole Time
  • No Cruise Control Used
  • Mostly 60-65 on Freeway
  • Car Gauge Had Me at 42.5 MPG
  • Fuelly Had Me at 40.2 MPG

The fit has a lower cost per mile than my echo! :O
Now that is impressive! I have 1600 miles on a LX, CVT and I have never even tired the echo button yet. Im getting 37 on the dash driving 50/50 and air always on. I am light to the gas pedal too. Next fill-up Im going to try the eco button and see if I can hit 40. That would be something. Cooler weather without the air will put me other the top.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
Didn't want to start a thread about this, as I suspect/hope it's nothing.

I've done this for years and years...maybe decades. But about every 10,000 miles, I will run a bottle of fuel system cleaner through my vehicle. Usually a bottle of Techron.
The rest of the time? I fill with 87 octane "Top Tier" gasoline.

It may just be a "Placebo Affect" action. But I can afford one bottle of fuel system cleaner every 10,000 miles so I do it.

Anyway, I recently (last tank of gasoline) put in a bottle of Techron.
What is surprising me?
My MPG on this tank has been horrible.
Usually with even cold weather, short trips....I can keep the MPG in the 31 MPG combined range. With any cooperation from a highway drive or warmer weather and it bumps up to 32m 33, 34, mpg.

My MPG average has been 29-30 MPG, the lowest I've ever seen.
The only difference I can really point to, is the addition of the bottle of Techron.
In the past? Usually the opposite would happen. I'd get improved gas mileage with the tank burning the Techron, not reduced.

Anyway, I'll use this tank up...fill as per normal. Top Tier...87 octane..and see what happens.
I hope it's just a fluke.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
Didn't want to start a thread about this, as I suspect/hope it's nothing.

I've done this for years and years...maybe decades. But about every 10,000 miles, I will run a bottle of fuel system cleaner through my vehicle. Usually a bottle of Techron.
The rest of the time? I fill with 87 octane "Top Tier" gasoline.

It may just be a "Placebo Affect" action. But I can afford one bottle of fuel system cleaner every 10,000 miles so I do it.

Anyway, I recently (last tank of gasoline) put in a bottle of Techron.
What is surprising me?
My MPG on this tank has been horrible.
Usually with even cold weather, short trips....I can keep the MPG in the 31 MPG combined range. With any cooperation from a highway drive or warmer weather and it bumps up to 32m 33, 34, mpg.

My MPG average has been 29-30 MPG, the lowest I've ever seen.
The only difference I can really point to, is the addition of the bottle of Techron.
In the past? Usually the opposite would happen. I'd get improved gas mileage with the tank burning the Techron, not reduced.

Anyway, I'll use this tank up...fill as per normal. Top Tier...87 octane..and see what happens.
I hope it's just a fluke.

Interesting. Keep us informed.

I noticed my mileage dropping a bit now that the weather is cooler. On a recent trip where I usually got low 50s, I got high 40s today.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
I know I will not be convincing, but here it goes.

I use the cheapest gas for my Fit (regular) and Porsche Turbo (premium) for years, and in my BMW too. No problem with fouled injectors or carbon covered valves. I wonder why. The SA told me I had the cleanest valves when the valve cover gaskets were replaced in my BMW at 110K miles. Maybe changing oil regularly is more important than the type of gas used?

Old 11-06-2017, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
I know I will not be convincing, but here it goes.

I use the cheapest gas for my Fit (regular) and Porsche Turbo (premium) for years, and in my BMW too. No problem with fouled injectors or carbon covered valves. I wonder why. The SA told me I had the cleanest valves when the valve cover gaskets were replaced in my BMW at 110K miles. Maybe changing oil regularly is more important than the type of gas used?
I don't think the brand of gas makes any difference. I just wouldn't want to fill up from a place that does very little business, but I don't think that would ever be a problem.

Quick Reply: Fuel Mileage Related Discussions