3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2015 Honda Fit Recall - Stalling Caused by Faulty Ignition Coils

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Stingray
Called mine last week. They said they never heard of the coil recall. They are, however, not too bright.
That's funny you mentioned that, the closet Honda to me is Culver City Honda in Los Angeles. They actually told me, I shit you not " To wait for a warning light to come on". At first I was thinking to myself , must be first day on the job. So I asked, to whom am I speaking with? this is the service tech manager. I asked, did you happen to read the notice on Honda's site in regards to engine stalling? (yeah they hung up on me) So I reported them to Honda corporate, In exchange they referred me to another dealership (Honda Monrovia) along with an apology. The service took about 3 hours, it could've been less although there were apparently some cars in the bay prior to my arrival.

Last edited by sixth; 10-12-2015 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by sixth
That's funny you mentioned that, the closet Honda to me is Culver City Honda in Los Angeles. They actually told me, I shit you not " To wait for a warning light to come on". At first I was thinking to myself , must be first day on the job. So I asked, to whom am I speaking with? this is the service tech manager. I asked, did you happen to read the notice on Honda's site in regards to engine stalling? (yeah they hung up on me) So I reported them to Honda corporate, In exchange they referred me to another dealership (Honda Monrovia) along with an apology. The service took about 3 hours, it could've been less although there were apparently some cars in the bay prior to my arrival.
It used to be that Honda was somewhat selective as to who could be a dealer. Guess it doesn't matter now. I had the coils replaced, and there is no more stumbling.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vanguard
I just checked on the Honda site, and punched in our VIN (manufactured early June 2014). There they were, both the
'ignition coil" and the "M-CVT pulley Shaft". Both said recall incomplete. I will wait for the letter from Honda, then make an appointment.

We were lucky enough to miss the front bumper recall, but not lucky enough to miss these I guess.

Oh well......free hot dogs, popcorn and soda for me on dealer day!
Took my daughters Fit in for the recall issues last week, and two hot dogs and one bag of popcorn later, I am pleased to announce the job is done!

Unlike some, I can't notice any difference in performance, but then I don't drive the car that much anyway. When my Daughter comes home from school this weekend, I will ask her if she has noticed any change.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:51 PM
Got my appt for this friday to replace the coils. My Honda contact said it should be about an hour to do the swap. Hell I can even do it when he explained it to me, but its warranty so let them do it.

Will advise on performance and note any difference.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
My dealership refused to setup an appointment for the recall. I received a letter in the mail to go in for it. My dealership said to only call them and schedule an appointment for if/when the CEL comes on. Is this true? Should i wait for my coilpacks to malfunction while im driving so i can crash and die first? Sounds reasonable.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TofuShop
My dealership refused to setup an appointment for the recall. I received a letter in the mail to go in for it. My dealership said to only call them and schedule an appointment for if/when the CEL comes on. Is this true? Should i wait for my coilpacks to malfunction while im driving so i can crash and die first? Sounds reasonable.
No, that's wrong. Contact Honda Customer Service. My dealer did the work immediately at my convenience.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:06 PM
Just finished here at the dealership I go to. Signed off on the recall, no charge to me.

What I do notice is the car now idles properly. Its smoother, purring where before it was a bit retarded at idle. Being a warm engine I do not notice a change in the low speed stumble, my car never had a pronounced stutter to begin with though. There is certainly an improvement. I'll check it when cold and report back.

Was only there an hour, and free complimentary wifi as I post this!

Cheers!

Old 10-23-2015, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
Just finished here at the dealership I go to. Signed off on the recall, no charge to me.

What I do notice is the car now idles properly. Its smoother, purring where before it was a bit retarded at idle. Being a warm engine I do not notice a change in the low speed stumble, my car never had a pronounced stutter to begin with though. There is certainly an improvement. I'll check it when cold and report back.

Was only there an hour, and free complimentary wifi as I post this!

Cheers!
No free hot dogs or popcorn? Just free WiFi? Move to Tennessee and get fed on dealer day!

Old 10-24-2015, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by Vanguard
No free hot dogs or popcorn? Just free WiFi? Move to Tennessee and get fed on dealer day!
Haha you got me beat there. There is a local bar across the street that was serving beers at 10AM! Hell it was Friday! I did have free coffee and hot chocolate though.

Reporting back the low speed stumble is still there after the coil change but only when the engine is cold. It's to be expected with a DI engine.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
Haha you got me beat there. There is a local bar across the street that was serving beers at 10AM! Hell it was Friday! I did have free coffee and hot chocolate though.

Reporting back the low speed stumble is still there after the coil change but only when the engine is cold. It's to be expected with a DI engine.
Vanguard forgot to mention free soft drinks always. On dealer day constant grilling outdoors with staff bring the dogs into the showroom. I don't know about the other area Honda dealers, but Crest Honda does it up right.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KentFinn
Vanguard forgot to mention free soft drinks always. On dealer day constant grilling outdoors with staff bring the dogs into the showroom. I don't know about the other area Honda dealers, but Crest Honda does it up right.
Crest has all the others beat, both on food and drink, and prices for service items. I won't go near the Waltrip dealership in Franklin, and we purchased two Honda's from them over the last 10 years.

The service and sales people seem to think your not paying attention (listening), while you sit waiting for your car. The things I have heard and seen in Franklin would shock anyone!