3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Questions from potential Fit purchaser

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by Javious
I owned a 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv and have a 2015 Fit 6MT EX now. The only time I feel the Fit being twitchy in the steering is due to specific road surfaces. This is more to do with the tires than the steering though. The 3 was great in the corners, the automatic transmission was the smoothest I have ever driven but acceleration with the SkyActiv tech was anemic. Despite being a larger car, the 3 interior and cargo space were not as usable as the Fit. While the 3 was rated for 39 MPG on the highway, in my driving I was lucky to average 30 MPG (averaging 35.3 without trying in the Fit). With the less than expected fuel economy, the very cramped back seat and less usable space behind the rear seat, I realized that I bought it for ripping it through the corners. I just didn't have the opportunities to drive the car that way and traded it in. The Fit has more tech and usable interior space, but isn't as sporty or comfortable. I would insist on loading my bike into a 3 before buying one, I am not sure it would fit well.
Thanks for your comparison, this is very helpful as I look at both cars. The majority of my driving is city and stop & go (under 15mph) on the freeway so I woudln't get much use out of the Mazda3's sportier handling. Would you say the acceleration on the Fit is less anemic than the 3?

The Fit's rear passenger seating and storage on the Fit is definitely a benefit as well.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mtnbiker
Thanks for your comparison, this is very helpful as I look at both cars. The majority of my driving is city and stop & go (under 15mph) on the freeway so I woudln't get much use out of the Mazda3's sportier handling. Would you say the acceleration on the Fit is less anemic than the 3?

The Fit's rear passenger seating and storage on the Fit is definitely a benefit as well.
No, the acceleration of the Fit is what you want it to be, with the manual transmission you can drive it sportier or economier. With the 3's automatic being programmed for economy, it just didn't want to get up and go. But remember that I am talking the SkyActiv 3 with the 2.0 engine, if you are looking at one with a 2.5 engine, they are more power and go and much less fuel economy. I saw the arse end of a 3 hatchback this morning and remembered something I really disliked about mine, the hatch release is at the bottom of the tailgate, just at the top of the bumper. If you have white stuff in the winter you are plunging your hand into the snow to get the hatch open, there was no "popper" to release the hatch from inside or the key fob. Like the Fit the tailgate is treated like a door and locks/unlocks with the doors.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:41 AM
5 Year Member
I've owned a few smaller cars but I always think my Fit feels like a much bigger car. I play harp and my wife's a singer that plays guitar and madolin and we are always hauling our back line around to gigs and rehearsal and all of our gear fits great in the Fit! It really does a great job of carrying gear and people. It gets better MPG than the 2006 Mazda Miata MX5 we traded in for the Fit..You can drive around zoom zooming if you want to but with all your stuff.