3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Getting quoted outrageous numbers for purchasing a 2018. Is this right?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
sound like a scam. just go to the dealer in person and deal

What part sounds scammy? The numbers are right there.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:18 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
not u, the poster above me sounds like a scam from the dealers point of view..

Old 10-27-2017, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
sound like a scam. just go to the dealer in person and deal
Why should I waste my time and theirs by going into multiple dealers and spending hours doing the back and forth method to find out what their best price is? This way only takes them a few minutes to reply to an email and they know other dealers are being considered so the incentive is there to offer the best price that they would accept. I've done this numerous times and I usually get a price cheaper than true car, saves everyone time, and both parties are happy. And not a scam, as long as you do your part and keep up your end by buying it and not trying to haggle extra savings beyond their original price.

The scam is the old school way of buying cars - going in and spending hours there, pretending you don't like the car or are considering others when you aren't. And the dealer springing surprise addons and fees, having to go talk to his or her supervisor to see what they can do, etc.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pumpkintacos
Is Florida just really expensive or something?
Overall, I'd say that Dade County is higher than most other areas.

That being said, you're shopping a fairly low priced car that just came out. It's not a bad purchase even at full sticker, but if you give it a few months, you'll get $500 or so off. Wait till year end and you'll see bigger discounts.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
lane- well u might be a nice guy but dealers have to deal with crap every faking day.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
lane- well u might be a nice guy but dealers have to deal with crap every faking day.
True, I guess the difference is I do what I say and don't try to then take the cheapest price to another dealer and say "beat this". I go to the dealer with the cheapest of the three original offers and I buy it that day.

I did this once and had bought a car within a few hours. Emailed three dealers on a weekday afternoon, had quotes emailed to me in an hour or two. Called the one with best price and told him he had a deal and that I'd be there at 6pm. Car was cleaned and fueled upon my arrival. Handed them the check, signed a few forms and was home by 7. Internet manager seemed quite pleased with how effortless it was and commented that it was the fastest and easiest sale he'd done. Granted they didn't make as much money off me as they could've with another customer, but they also didn't have to spend a lot of their time with me like they would've if someone came in to deal in person.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lane03
didn't have to spend a lot of their time with me like they would've if someone came in to deal in person.
the last 3-4 cars i bought, no emails.. i just checked their inventory online, walked in, asked for a test drive on the exact car i wanted to buy, and during the test drive shook hands on a price. deal was done in the car.

and when we get back to the office, im typing up an email to my insurance guy with the new vin and by the time im out of the dealership, i have a temporary insurance card in my phone. 2-3 weeks later, title arrives.

i hate dealing with bs. so does the dealer. im on like the 28th or 29th new car

Old 10-27-2017, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
the last 3-4 cars i bought, no emails.. i just checked their inventory online, walked in, asked for a test drive on the exact car i wanted to buy, and during the test drive shook hands on a price. deal was done in the car.

and when we get back to the office, im typing up an email to my insurance guy with the new vin and by the time im out of the dealership, i have a temporary insurance card in my phone. 2-3 weeks later, title arrives.

Or you could have spent an extra 5 hours fighting with the sales manager to save $100.

I'm closer to your style. My first step is just making sure I want the car. From there I'm fine with a reasonable price. I'm in sales and just don't like the hassle on either end. I prefer a smooth transaction.

That being said, online shopping or using a buying agent is also a good way to get in, get out, and be satisfied.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Or you could have spent an extra 5 hours fighting with the sales manager to save $100.

I'm closer to your style. My first step is just making sure I want the car. From there I'm fine with a reasonable price. I'm in sales and just don't like the hassle on either end. I prefer a smooth transaction.

That being said, online shopping or using a buying agent is also a good way to get in, get out, and be satisfied.
right? im like amazed how some folks get so passionate about saving a few hundred bucks. not worth my time. i give a reasonable offer plus a little extra push and we can go back and forth a few times while having fun, but that's about it. the sales guy can call his manager from the car if he wants and make the price official. walla. im happy, he's happy. no BS. no wasted time.

problem with online shopping a car is until you really drive the car u wont know wat its like. every car is different and it's not like you can just take it to a UPS drop box if you dont like it and return it.. one would have to put some effort to be sure.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:53 AM

You may be dealing with BS by acquiescing to it. In person dealings with sales staff is not an efficient use of time. I've done it that way too, and the problem I've encountered involves the staff coming back with six or seven different numbers before they understand that the number I gave them is my number.

I've purchased a number of cars by email, and never had a dealership respond with suspicion that they are the victim of a scam. The deal is negotiated by email and in person dealings are merely ministerial -- inspection, acceptance and payment.

I understand why you wouldn't want to buy a Fit online, but for most other cars the risk that the car will fail your inspection is low.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:36 AM
5 Year Member
move on then. im not preaching how to buy a car, i could careless how u folks buy, just making a suggestion letting you know that dealers are people too and most of then turn into garbage because of the general public's attitude towards them.

Old 10-28-2017, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
I actually would go out and buy the 2017 because I wouldn't want those safety features. They seem like more of a nuisance than a benefit but that's me.

Those features would be just another cost once they break as well. My brother-in-law has an auto glass business and he said that it's more cost to replace the windshield on newer autos. Another thing is the vehicles that use cameras in the windshield, like the hondas, need to be recalibrated after the glass is installed and this is not included in his fee, it's another fee paid to Honda. What other costs will there be for the lane departure etc when they need repair?

When I bought my 2015, my CU had a program with True Car so I used that. Using that also saved me .5% on the car loan. I'm not interested in spending hours/days trying to eek out last cent of savings. My time is important to me so it's got a value associated to it.

I'd turn down any options from the dealership. You can buy it all aftermarket cheaper, even if it's OEM products. Also turn down any undercarriage coating or upholstery treatment. Not worth it. Extra warranty, not worth it to me but to some it is. Up to you but I've also heard it can be cheaper to buy it after versus at sales time.

The safety features may bring your insurance rates down slightly.

Old 10-28-2017, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nomenclator
The safety features may bring your insurance rates down slightly.
I imagine it wouldn't offset the cost difference to be worth it...

Old 11-01-2017, 11:15 AM
I don't see the problem here, this is how much the car costs.

Just go somewhere else. My 2015 was 19k