3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Water LEAKS

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
Job #1 of an air conditioner is to dry the air passing through.....and that water removed has to be drained, it goes to the pavement.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:55 PM
I have a 2015 Fit. In June 2016, I found a huge pond on the floor of the driver side. I had to wet vac it up (buckets). When I took it to Honda, they said it was because debris or pollen had built up in the AC channel. There was no warning or anything I could to prevent this short of garage parking. I was told to have them clean it out when I do an oil change. Almost a year later, the same thing happened today. I have an appointment with Honda on Monday... We'll see what they say this time. It's very distressing. I wrote to Honda Corp about it and they actually called me... and sent me a gift card, but not sure if any action has been made to address this unilaterally.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
Have you had the door handle bracket recall performed? When I had mine done, the tech didn't install the door weather seal correctly so I had water leakage.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Have you had the door handle bracket recall performed? When I had mine done, the tech didn't install the door weather seal correctly so I had water leakage.
Pretty sure the door handle recall was the start of my door leaks as well (front passenger and rear driver side). The inner plastic lining was damaged in several places. I ended up sealing them up with aluminized tape. Dealer claimed the issue would not reproduce for them on two separate trips.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:18 PM
My new 2017 EX manual has the wet floor problem. I owned the car two months before I discovered it. The floor mats looked like they were curling on the edges. I stuck my hand on the floor and wham! It was freakin' soaked. In my car it is only wet in the driver's foot well area. I noticed wetness up towards the firewall in one spot. If water wicked up the flooring material it seems to me it would have done so all around but no, it's just that one spot. So my preliminary thinking is that is going to be the leak. But my car also suffers from misaligned doors. Originally I thought the leak must be from the door but that is not proven yet and evidence may suggest otherwise. On the dealership lot I noticed this car had a clear plastic protective wrap on the driver's foot well area. Under the clear wrap there was what looked like a white powder. Now I know that wrap and powder was for mildew resistance. This car had an unusually strong "new car smell." Now I figure much of that strong smell was this mildew resistant chemical. The dealership knew all about it and Honda of Mexico probably knew too but they shipped this unit for sale anyway. So anyway, three rolls of paper towels and two sunny days with the windows and sunroof open and it is almost dry.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:21 PM
In addition, I noticed early on that the interior windshield was fogging up at times when other cars I've owned did not, mostly in the morning when the car was closed up all night. Now I understand. That floor has been wet all along.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
One quick question. .do you have a sunroof? I had a one time issue with mine that was caused by that leaking. Nowhere in the manual does it say how to clean or take care of it. .

Old 08-22-2017, 01:41 PM
Yes, I have a sunroof.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:19 PM
I just opened the sunroof and looked in there. I see a drain hole at both ends of the front which drain a rubber/plastic tray. Inside the tray I see signs that water may have pooled in the tray. Specifically, I see the dirt that entered with water but settled in the tray while the water drained out. Possibly one or both of those drain holes are leaking into the car. Maybe just the driver's side drain hole. I will try to find out. Next time it rains hard I will tape off the perimeter of the sunroof and see if I can block the leak. I have noticed that when water has leaked into my driver's side floor it is delayed, i.e. it takes a while for the floor to get wet. Lighter rains appeared not to wet the floor at all. I had thought that this was due to the space below the carpet in the driver's foot well, it needed to fill up with enough water to begin soaking the carpet from below. Maybe this is true but another time it rained hard on consecutive days. I dried out some of the first day's water then it rained again and I noticed a delay, it rained so freaking hard I should have been soaked right away. But no. So, does the water accumulate in the sunroof tray first and then slowly matriculate down the drain into the interior. Hmm.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:12 PM
To finish my thought, I'm determined to find the leak and fix it myself if I can. Those clowns at the dealership, after talking to them a few times about various matters I don't trust them. Screw them, I'll drive this hunk of junk into the ground and then push it off a cliff. I also don't want my car sitting in the shop. I need it. If I cannot fix the leak I may just drill my own drain hole into the driver's side footwell so the leak ends up draining out the bottom of the car.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:20 PM
Thanks to BOSSHARP for the sunroof suggestion. I was able to confirm that the leak into my driver's foot well comes from the sunroof drain on the driver's side. The passenger side sunroof drain appears to be working properly. I poured water down the drain on each side. Passenger side drained out behind the FR tire quickly and completely. No water drained from the left side while the foot well got soaked. Now, what to do? I've seen some youtube and forum suggestions that the drain may be blocked, clear it out with a Q-tip or compressed air. I will try that. But it seems to me there must be a break in the drain line rather than a clog. If the drain was simply blocked then water would back up into the sunroof trough. This does not occur in my vehicle. The trough drains and it ends up on the floor. Can I simply plug the left side drain hole with a small rubber (removable) stopper and let the right side drain handle all the drainage duties? I guess that would risk an overflow if the right side can't handle the flow. That could come into play during heavier rainfalls. I guess water might stay in the trough on the left side because of the tilt in the trough. If I'm parked at the curb though, the car tilts to the passenger side. We shall see. Right now I'm just glad I found the leak.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:38 AM
5 Year Member
Go to a gas station and use the tire filler to blow out what is keeping the drain plugged?

Old 08-27-2017, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bossharp
One quick question. .do you have a sunroof? I had a one time issue with mine that was caused by that leaking. Nowhere in the manual does it say how to clean or take care of it. .
I was surprised that neither in the smaller abridged manual nor in the full sized manual Honda provide any information on sunroof maintenance.
You buy a sunroof, you'd think some maintenance guidelines would be part of it.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
I was surprised that neither in the smaller abridged manual nor in the full sized manual Honda provide any information on sunroof maintenance.
You buy a sunroof, you'd think some maintenance guidelines would be part of it.
That's because those who have a sunroof never use it. So, Honda said, what the heck.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:13 PM
The drain hole is in a tight spot. Can't get the gas station air hose nozzle right up to the drain hole. I saw a you tube of a guy using weed whacker line to snake out the drain. But the thing is, water drains out through the drain hole, no water fills up inside the sunroof drain trough. Doesn't that mean there's a break in the water line? Might need to pull apart the A pillar and find the line.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
Geez and DMV area is getting a ton of rain right now, and this coming weekend. Hope you get it sorted out bud

Old 08-29-2017, 04:38 PM
I know right. It's been raining for 9 hours and counting. Just checked my car and it is only slightly damp. It should be absolutely soaked by now. A major improvement. Yesterday I fashioned a temporary plug out of handy materials by wrapping electrical tape around a thin screw and stuck it in the sunroof drain hole. I'm thinking my quick plug design isn't entirely blocking the drain hole so a small amount of water is still getting in. When the weather clears up I will go through the motions of snaking out the drain and crafting a solid plug that doesn't let any water pass the drain. For now I'm just glad I can prevent the leak.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
Here's the parts blow out online: https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-...ding-roof.html

One of the hoses looks like it's multiple pieces so maybe the connection isn't good. Doesn't look like there is a drain on the driver's side front though? Maybe leaking from the RR part?

Old 08-30-2017, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
That's because those who have a sunroof never use it. So, Honda said, what the heck.
That's simply not true. I love my sunroof. Spring, Summer and Late Fall, I use it a lot.
It was a BIG reason I got an EX.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:37 PM
That's an excellent website. I'm bookmarking hondapartsnow.com. The left side drain line must go down the left A pillar. There must be a break in the line somewhere in there because the puddle forms in the driver's foot well. Not sure exactly where the drain exit point is supposed to be because all the test water I poured down the left side drain ended up in the car. Nothing came out onto the ground. I guess I'd need to have the shop break open the pillar and maybe the fender to find the line break.

Quick Reply: Water LEAKS