3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

<100 miles, brake warning light on

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 04:38 PM
<100 miles, brake warning light on

Hi all,

Newbie here, new Fit owner, and generally new to cars - I live in NYC, so this is my first. I bought a Fit two weeks ago, and it has less than 100 miles on it. Today the brake warning light came on (orange) and stayed on during an hour drive. I called the dealership and they said I could bring it in, but doing so will cost me a half day of work. Any suggestions / thoughts / advice? Do I have any leverage with the dealership - I'm very annoyed that this is happening at less than 100 miles.

Thanks in advance -

Old 06-26-2015, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator
stupid question but was your ebrake on?

Old 06-26-2015, 04:49 PM
Not stupid - but no, tried engaging / disengaging etc. just to check. Also checked brake fluid levels - they're topped off.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:58 PM
Bring it into the dealer, and let them take care of it under warranty. That's what the warranty and dealer's service department are there for. Incidentally, with many things, failures follow what's often referred to as a "bathtub curve" over time—the failure rate is pretty high for the first bit of the products life due to manufacturing defects, then low for the useful life of the product, then rises again as it wears out. (The graph looks something like the cross-section of a bathtub, hence the name.)

See if the dealer can provide you with courtesy transportation to and from work (or maybe you can take public transit from the dealer to your job and leave the car there all day). Most dealers and many independent service shops around here, which admittedly is not at all NYC, are quite willing to do that.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:46 PM
Ok, thanks. I hope this isn't a bad sign for the Fit. I was excited about it, but wary of some of the stories I had heard of this 'made in Mexico' generation. Here's hoping...

Old 06-27-2015, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member
I understand about the hassle of going to the dealer, but all of the local dealers take appointments, are open on Saturday, and have shuttle service. And with your car being so new you might even call your salesman and pull him into the loop to make sure it gets checked out quickly. If it's an easy fix you can be back on the road quickly. If not, let them take you to work and pick you up at the end of the day. But with it being brand new and under warranty I definitely wouldn't try to fix it myself or take it anyplace but the dealer.

Just something to think about. I hope it's nothing serious. We've had our 2015 Fit for almost a year now and haven't had a single problem with it. About 8,200 miles and we just went back to the dealer for the first time when the oil life hit 15% about 2 weeks ago. Good luck!

Old 06-27-2015, 10:32 AM
Thanks - I'm going to take it to the dealer, and I've contacted my salesman to see if he can get me in and out quicker. I'm a bit worried and annoyed that this has happened so soon, but hopefully my experience will turn out like yours. Glad you're enjoying the car!