Honda fit vs Civic.. Infotainment? And stuff [2016]

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 09:07 PM
Honda fit vs Civic.. Infotainment? And stuff [2016]

There's already a thread about this, but it's for 2012. So I figured why not post one for 2016?

First of all, I know these cars are completely different classes, but I have the need to compare them because I'm rethinking what I should do when buying a car >.<

This is a fit forum, so it's gonna be a tad biased, but it's worth a shot lol.

My question is Civic or Fit? I told myself I was going to get the fit but the including of Android Auto makes me want to get the Civic instead.

Literally the only reason that's making me rethink my choices lol. That and the Honda sensing suite.

I know a car is supposed to be for driving, but what does Android auto have that the fit doesn't? Fit has messaging, calls and navi. (I can always buy a Navi and put it on the dashboard if I wanna save money too.

Idk, I need some insight. I know I'm gonna be driving most of the time and infotainment shouldn't be a big deal, but yeah.

Someone just tell me the fits infotainment system is okay xD

Last edited by Serenaa; 05-23-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
A neighbour has a 2015 Honda Civic LX, and she loves it. Quiet, great gas mileage, proven technology. She also got a great eal because it was the last model year. The fit and finish of the Civic is comparable to the Fit. The 2016 Civic infotainment system with Android Auto is the new change, and I've not extensively researched it. You need to do this research. The preliminary comments I've seen on a Civic site are not very good for Android Auto, as it is very new for Honda and there are some bugs.

The 2017 Fit specs have not been released. For sure the 2016 Fit has nothing for Android Auto. Bluetooth, USB connect, wireless calling apply to all phones, not just Android.

I love the hatchback style and the Civic is a sedan, so the Fit was it. There is a Civic hatch coming but there seems to be no delivery date.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Serenaa
I know a car is supposed to be for driving
It is not supposed to be for driving.

That is all it is for.

You can put your phone down for a few minutes while you drive. Or if that addicted, have a passenger do it.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by Serenaa
There's already a thread about this, but it's for 2012. So I figured why not post one for 2016?

First of all, I know these cars are completely different classes, but I have the need to compare them because I'm rethinking what I should do when buying a car >.<

This is a fit forum, so it's gonna be a tad biased, but it's worth a shot lol.

My question is Civic or Fit? I told myself I was going to get the fit but the including of Android Auto makes me want to get the Civic instead.

Literally the only reason that's making me rethink my choices lol. That and the Honda sensing suite.

I know a car is supposed to be for driving, but what does Android auto have that the fit doesn't? Fit has messaging, calls and navi. (I can always buy a Navi and put it on the dashboard if I wanna save money too.

Idk, I need some insight. I know I'm gonna be driving most of the time and infotainment shouldn't be a big deal, but yeah.

Someone just tell me the fits infotainment system is okay xD
Quick background: I owned a 2015 Fit last year for several months and now I own a 2016 Civic.

My opinion is that if you are on the fence now, do not get a car without Android Auto. You will probably regret it. Android Auto may be my favorite feature of my Civic. Using my phone in the car now is easy and convenient, and much safer than before. I love being able to have my Google Maps navigation on the infotainment screen, and not having to deal with a cell phone mount on the dashboard. I use voice commands while driving to make phone calls, dictate text messages, and start navigation. Yes, the Honda Fit has some voice command support as well, but the Honda software is not as good as Google at understanding speech (for me, at least).

The Honda Sensing suite is really nice too. It is not perfect, but I do get some peace of mind with the pre-collision braking mitigation and the adaptive cruise control is very useful.

And since you mentioned navi, it is worth mentioning that the Civic has a new Garmin-based navigation system that, from what I have read, is much better than the navi offered in the Fit.

All that being said, I loved my Fit. I liked how small the Fit was (the Civic is huge by comparison) and I miss the utility of the Fit's magic seats and hatchback. But I wouldn't go back now that I have my Civic. The differences in the infotainment systems is a major reason for me.

Ideally you should wait a couple years for the mid-cycle refresh when the Fit will probably get both Android Auto and Honda Sensing options. Best of both worlds.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:31 AM
I drive a '16 Fit EX and my wife drives a '16 Civic EX-T. Full disclosure, my wife and I are iPhone users. In my opinion, the Civic's infotainment system is significantly more advanced and user friendly than the infotainment system found in the Fit.

The Civic's infotainment screen has more resolution, brightness and contrast. The touch sensitivity of the screen is much better in the Civic. I find myself pressing the screen firmer or multiple times more often in the Fit than the Civic. Beyond that, the Civic's infotainment system is so much more capable than the Fit. The Civic's infotainment system allows for more hands free usage through Apple Car Play, navigation, WiFi access, etc. I'll also add that the Civic's infotainment system correlates to the gauge cluster display. For instance, you can scroll preset radio stations using the function on the steering wheel. As you scroll, the preset stations appear in the gauge cluster just below the speedometer, so you don't even have to look over and down at the infotainment screen.

If an infotainment system is a top priority for you, I don't think you have much of an option between the two. As a word of caution, '16 Civic owners have experienced an array of glitches with infotainment systems.

Last edited by MyFirstHonda; 05-24-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:17 PM
My wife bought a 16 Civic Touring and a few days after that I bought a Fit EX-L. The Civic is better than the Fit in almost every way which is how it should be because its a more expensive more refined vehicle. I'd rather drive my fit. the flappy paddles should really be on the turbo Civic instead of the fit. still cant figure that one out.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by bladhmadh
My wife bought a 16 Civic Touring and a few days after that I bought a Fit EX-L. The Civic is better than the Fit in almost every way which is how it should be because its a more expensive more refined vehicle. I'd rather drive my fit. the flappy paddles should really be on the turbo Civic instead of the fit. still cant figure that one out.
I couldn't agree more. The paddle shifters should be on the Civic.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
There shouldn't be paddles on any CVT.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
Get the Civic. It is so much more refined and quiet compared to the Fit.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:06 AM
5 Year Member
I hate the 2015 Fit system

I have the 2015 and I've got to agree with you; the system is awful. Its supposed to work well with iPhones but doesn't. I have a droid phone which works better. The screens are poorly organized and missing info and menu choices. There's are also lots of inconsistency in the design.
What I don't understand is why Honda doesn't provide software updates our allow third parties to provide alternative software. I'm always working around the limitations of the software in the system and there is no good reason bit to update the software.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kc750
...What I don't understand is why Honda doesn't provide software updates our allow third parties to provide alternative software. I'm always working around the limitations of the software in the system and there is no good reason bit to update the software.
Honda and every other car manufacturer does not provide this because they wish to retain control of the HU. There is also a safety concern, as they have to adhere to safety regulations. All car manufacturers have their own deveopment. BMW/Audi/MB went with a European map maker, Toyota went joint with Ford. Honda and Nissan has said very little to anyone.

So far Honda has never offered a customer-done software update. We keep waiting. I'm sure it will eventually happen, somewhere in some galaxy.