Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

HKS Turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by I Am Ray.
I was dead even with a FA5 until 3rd in my Fit. I had an intake and an muffler back then.
That was the day I hated them more.

i figured it was something like this.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:30 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Hehh... And dont blame the driver, 200hp on tap VS my 109 he should have walked me from 1st gear and on.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:04 AM
Fa1
I heard this kit doesn't need to have the oil pan tapped for the return line. How does that work?

Old 08-19-2008, 01:19 AM
Fa1
Nevermind found the answer.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:42 AM
5 Year Member
what was it???

Old 08-19-2008, 03:02 AM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
haha yeah i'm a little curious also

Old 08-19-2008, 11:53 AM
Fa1
There's a banjo bolt that goes where the oil drain bolt goes.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:59 PM
I <3 SPOON
5 Year Member
^
true that

another reason why i like the HKS kit
need to hurry up and pay off credit card!!!!!!!!! ugh!

Old 08-19-2008, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
so sick mang. so when basically changing oil all i have to do is take that line off. sweet!

and carb legal...ahh im going to rock this kit forusure

Old 08-24-2008, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
I am guessing from pictures that there is no need to remove the foglights as well?

Old 08-24-2008, 01:14 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
If you look at all the pics, everyone has no foglights.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by I Am Ray.
If you look at all the pics, everyone has no foglights.
I apologize. I was only paying attention to the housing, oops.

Would everyone who owns the kit say it's good for daily driving?
Also, I am literally a state away from a HKS tuner, so would it be wise to get this kit? I'm just looking to bolt it on and have some UMPH under the hood .

Old 08-24-2008, 03:56 PM
Luvs Dah b00st!
i am HKSed lol and i love love love it i daily my car and beat the crap out of it daily and NO problems im going for another tune next week and we should trump that lil T1R kit im expecting 180 to the wheels

Old 08-24-2008, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gd3kamiwanaB
i am HKSed lol and i love love love it i daily my car and beat the crap out of it daily and NO problems im going for another tune next week and we should trump that lil T1R kit im expecting 180 to the wheels
so are you not having any oil consumption issues or smoking? I would think with them draining the oil into where the drain plug is it would kill the turbine seals very soon?

Old 08-24-2008, 10:05 PM
Luvs Dah b00st!
Originally Posted by underdog
so are you not having any oil consumption issues or smoking? I would think with them draining the oil into where the drain plug is it would kill the turbine seals very soon?
it not just draining, it uses positive crank case pressure to pull the the oil out of the turbo. when i first got the kit i was using mobil 1 and i thought it was going through oil like crazy. my first oil change with the kit on i changed to royal purple same weight (SAE 10 w30) and now i have not burned/used one drop.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:02 PM
Are you still using stock injectors? I am pretty sure that the HKS kit did not come with bigger injectors.

If you are gonna try to out do the T1R kit it would be difficult without upgrading the injectors. As well, both kits use the exact same Garrett AR28 turbo so the output should be the same depending on the tuning... and I don't see the HKS F-Con being better than the Greddy Emanage Ultimate, I would say they are very comparible kits, but the T1R kit would have the edge since that kit comes with 310cc RC injectors to handle the additional power.

To be honest, the banjo bolt oil line is simple, but tapping the oil pan was super easy with the T1R kit.. me and 2 friends finished installing the kit in less than 30hrs (w/10hrs of sleep in between and 4 hrs of driving around looking for some parts)... this was also with installing the oil cooler upgrade and washer bottle custom mounts..

Last edited by YeeFit; 08-24-2008 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:09 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by YeeFit
Are you still using stock injectors? I am pretty sure that the HKS kit did not come with bigger injectors.

If you are gonna try to out do the T1R kit it would be difficult without upgrading the injectors. As well, both kits use the exact same Garrett AR28 turbo so the output should be the same depending on the tuning... and I don't see the HKS F-Con being better than the Greddy Emanage Ultimate, I would say they are very comparible kits, but the T1R kit would have the edge since that kit comes with 310cc RC injectors to handle the additional power.

To be honest, the banjo bolt oil line is simple, but tapping the oil pan was super easy with the T1R kit.. me and 2 friends finished installing the kit in less than 30hrs (w/10hrs of sleep in between and 4 hrs of driving around looking for some parts)... this was also with installing the oil cooler upgrade and washer bottle custom mounts..
probably upgrading the injectors as any up in boost will choke the stock injectors.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:36 AM
5 Year Member
it not just draining, it uses positive crank case pressure to pull the the oil out of the turbo. when i first got the kit i was using mobil 1 and i thought it was going through oil like crazy. my first oil change with the kit on i changed to royal purple same weight (SAE 10 w30) and now i have not burned/used one drop.
not to seem like an a$$ but positive crank case pressure does the opposite, it makes it harder for the oil to drain. my cousin has actually killed a few turbos because of that. I ended up welding two -12 fittings to his valve cover and we haven't had any oil consumption issues or dead turbos since then.(his is returning above the oil level too) before it would burn/loose about a quart of oil per pass(granted were making 631whp and running .0055 piston to cylinder wall clearance) now it will hardly use a couple ounces per couple events.

i'm just curious myself. I mean if it works thats great. makes things a million times easier. but I think i'll still feel more comfortable tapping into the pan.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:51 AM
Luvs Dah b00st!
Originally Posted by YeeFit

first off i am using bigger injectors with a very good certifying hks tuner here in orlando. second 30 hours 30 OMG that is crazy. i started at 9 in the morning and was driving at 4 the same day. just about 8 hours with a nice long subway lunch break. bear in mind i did not have to take my oil pan off or cut and re-wire my whole cpu harness. sorry but silly silly T1R kit with long install times, wiring harness destruction/ oil pan ruining and lean running conditions = fail to me. o and im still 500 dollars less then T1R

Old 08-25-2008, 10:43 AM
first off i am using bigger injectors with a very good certifying hks tuner here in orlando. second 30 hours 30 OMG that is crazy. i started at 9 in the morning and was driving at 4 the same day. just about 8 hours with a nice long subway lunch break. bear in mind i did not have to take my oil pan off or cut and re-wire my whole cpu harness. sorry but silly silly T1R kit with long install times, wiring harness destruction/ oil pan ruining and lean running conditions = fail to me. o and im still 500 dollars less then T1R
I know you personally have a hate on for the T1R kit with your recent bad experiences with them. But by no means was the install difficult.. I DIDN'T have to destroy my ECU harness. It was a quick 11 wire tap and splice, and me being a MECP certified installer made the install quick and painless. I know the harness in the picture of the T1R kit looks huge and it is, but you only need to use 11 of the wires..

I've never installed a turbo kit before, this was my first time ever.. I think if I were to install it again it would take me less than 6hrs.

Talk to any other turbo guys out there and tapping the pan is the proper way to do it, HKS made thier kit as easy as possible, but easy doesn't mean optimal.

Don't get me wrong, I like the HKS kit, this is why I started this thread to begin with.. I am just saying that the kits are very comparable, if you look at all the components within the kit they are very similar.

HKS kit for easy plug and play and is carb legal

T1R, straight forward install and easy tuning.

The biggest thing is that the HKS will not make near as much power if you just buy the kit itself and bolt it on. Whereas the T1R kit will make more due to the bigger injectors and cat delete that are included in the kit, ditto with the BOV.

You may think you are $500 less than the T1R kit, but after buying the cat-delete, bigger injectors, a blow off valve and having to tune the HKS F-Con to adapt to the new upgrades you are no longer $500 less than the T1R kit.. you're probably $500 more.

And I am not running lean.. I am running rich but that is what I get for living 3500ft above sea level.

HKS Kit =
T1R Kit =
gd3kamiwanaB's Attitude = FAIL.

Last edited by YeeFit; 08-25-2008 at 11:03 AM.

Quick Reply: HKS Turbo kit